[COMPLETE] Frostiana by George Davis - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
PhileasBlogg

Post by PhileasBlogg »

Frostiana: or a history of the River Thames in a frozen state by George Davis ( - 0).

This frosty project is now in our catalog at https://librivox.org/frostiana-or-a-history-of-the-river-thames-in-a-frozen-state-by-george-davis/

The London frost fair of 1814 began on 1 February, and lasted four days. On 5 February, a printer named George Davis published a 124-page book, "Frostiana; or a History of the River Thames in a Frozen State". The entire book was type-set and printed in Davis's printing stall, which had been set up on the frozen Thames. The book is a written history of London's frost fairs, interspersed with humorous, cold-related sections including "How to Make Ice Cream" and "The Art of Ice Skating". ( Wikipedia, Lewis Fletcher)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): ftp://ftp.library.noaa.gov/docs.lib/htdocs/rescue/rarebooks_1600-1800/GB13985G7F761814.pdf
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    Our DPL is the stellar Philip
    ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History /Modern (19th C)

Keywords that describe the book: London, snow, winter, skating, fair, frost, printing, Thames, ice, cold, frost fair

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Frostiana: or a history of the River Thames in a frozen state. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Frostiana: or a history of the River Thames in a frozen state, by George Davis. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Frostiana: or a history of the River Thames in a frozen state by George Davis. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Frostiana: or a history of the River Thames in a frozen state, by George Davis. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename frostiana_##_davis_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. frostiana_01_davis_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: philchenevert
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by PhileasBlogg on January 19th, 2018, 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Lewis. Welcome to LibriVox!
This looks like an interesting book and not too long for a first solo.

However, before we set this up in the database for you to begin uploading files, please complete and get an OK on a one-minute test to check your technical settings. It's not an audition, but to simply confirm that your files meet our requirements.

1-Minute Test

It would be a shame to record a whole section, only to have to redo it because of some simple setting that is incorrect.

It is also strongly recommended that you claim, record, and submit at least one or two sections in a group project before embarking on a solo project. This will give you have a better idea of what it will take to record and edit an entire book and some idea of how our process works. As a soloist, you will be responsible not only for recording and editing all the sections, but you will also be your own book coordinator (BC) which means you will be responsible for entering all the information (titles, time, links) into the workflow system.
Jo
carteki

Post by carteki »

MC's - would someone please pick this up. The reader has passed their one minute test as well as submitted a completed chapter with no problems from a group project.
Thanks
Kim
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Brrrrrrrr! It is cold here but I will set this up soon. Looks interesting!

EDIT: I am adding a tilde ~ to the title to announce that you are looking for a DPL.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I was planning to MC. I left this here waiting for the soloist to come back and post in response to my post above to let me know that he was ready to start. Sorry Kim, but I don't see what your stake is in this project.

Phil since it looks like you have set this up, I will leave you to it and remove this thread from my bookmarks.
Jo
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Whoops , sorry Jo. Duh! It did not reach my consciousness that you were waiting for a reply from the soloist. I just saw how long ago this had been posted that's all and decided to move it along. Let me know if there is anything I can do to fix it or if you wish to MC.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

I'd be interested in DPL-ing this, if one is needed.

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

DrPGould wrote: January 18th, 2018, 11:12 pm I'd be interested in DPL-ing this, if one is needed.

Philip
Thanks for volunteering Philip. The soloist makes the decision on DPL since he is the BC so let's wait for him to jump in here.
PhileasBlogg

Post by PhileasBlogg »

DrPGould wrote: January 18th, 2018, 11:12 pm I'd be interested in DPL-ing this, if one is needed.

Philip
That would be great, thanks so much! :)

Lewis
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

OK everyone. With a DPL in place I have moved this frigid project to Going Solo.
PhileasBlogg

Post by PhileasBlogg »

Section 0, the introduction, is now up:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/frostiana_00_davis_128kb.mp3

Duration is 25:47

DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Lewis:

The Introduction is extremely well-read. Excellently done!!! :clap: It was a joy to hear.

I have marked it PL-OK, but there is one thing you should keep in mind for further sections. The silence at the end of the reading was only 4 seconds, instead of 5.

(There's no need to go back and do anything to the reading you submitted, just be sure to keep it in mind.)

I look forward to hearing your next installment.

Many thanks,

Philip
PhileasBlogg

Post by PhileasBlogg »

Great, thank you!

Here is Chapter 1:
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/frostiana_01_davis_128kb.mp3

Duration is 37:37
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Lewis:

Another fine reading. There is just one little thing...from about 15:02-15:06 there is some background noise that intrudes on your reading. Should be easy to fix.

Many thanks,

Philip
PhileasBlogg

Post by PhileasBlogg »

Philip:

The background noise at 15:02 in chapter 1 should now be fixed :D - https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/frostiana_01_davis_128kb.mp3

Chapter 2 is now also ready, it's duration is 20:20 - https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/frostiana_02_davis_128kb.mp3

Thanks,
Lewis