COMPLETE [essays] Life In the Sickroom by Harriet Martineau-rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Sign me up for 2 and 10. Jim
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

How wonderful to see you here. They are all yours. Thanks.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Here is Chapter 2:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/lifeinthesickroom_02_martineau_128kb.mp3 39.41 KB

42:02

An excellent essay! :thumbs:

Jim
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thanks a lot.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Huge huge thanks.
calalilyuf

Post by calalilyuf »

Finally done with Essay 6!! :shock: I think amateurs like myself should stay away from pages ranging into the double digits until they get a better understanding of the editing process. I re-recorded so many times since it was easier than wading into the mess of my long, erroneous sessions that I used up all the memory in my hard drive. But I learned a few surprising things that I never knew before... The scarlett 2i2, needs to be recorded in stereo and then split to mono (and the empty track deleted) in order to get a full range of db (otherwise you only get up to +/- 0.5 db to work with), and that it's easier to clap when you make a mistake, make sure audacity is marked to show clipping and then work backwards listening to the last correct track and deleting the mistake portion out. I knew about the clapping thing but it never worked out for me since I didn't know how to use it to advantage... Zooming out to see the next red section and then zooming back in to do the edits make things go by much faster. Despite all the things I've learned during this process, it still doesn't sound like I'd like it to sound but that's more to do with my skill level than lack of trying.

The length is 34:56 and the link https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/lifeinthesickroom_06_martineau_128kb.mp3
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thanks a lot. I aprisiate your honesty and the interesting post. I hope you also had fun in the process.
calalilyuf

Post by calalilyuf »

Most definitely! Though I must admit I hated listening to my finished product, the process itself is so much fun! To be honest, I wanted to re-record both chapters again but I know it’s useless until I practice reading aloud more and develop those muscles. (I know you’re supposed to speak from your diaphragm but apparently mine tuckers out so quickly, it migrates from diaphragm, to chest to head voice.)
Also since I suffer from a chronic illness, this book really resonates with me, which is another reason I spent so much time re-recording it, I wanted to get it right. I kept reading some lines one way and then realize that it should be read in another way and I’d been interpreting her meaning wrong the entire time! Though Harriet might be better known for her other writings, I think these essays are more important today because we have so many people who are either chronically ill or a caregiver and the current books written about the social aspect of chronic illness don’t address feelings (and manners) in the way Martineau does. Her essays offer such honest insights for both sick and well alike that I think they should be republished for wider dissemination.
adrien

Post by adrien »

Sorry for the delay! I had a flu/cough that made this nearly impossible for a few weeks.
Looking forward to your editorial comments.
chapter 09 length 27:23
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/lifeinthesickroom_09_martineau_128kb.mp3
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thanks a lot.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Essay 3 has been orphaned. Any takers?
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

I would like to do it. Jim
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thanks a lot.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Hello.

If you are still looking for a DPL...I'd be interested.

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.