COMPLETE: The Markets of Paris by Emile Zola - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MamaGeek

Post by MamaGeek »

The Markets of Paris by Emile Zola (1840 - 1902).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-markets-of-paris-by-emile-zola/

The Markets of Paris is a remarkable work, and is the one which Zola calls his very best novel, and of which he is far more proud than of any others in his Rougon-Marquart series – prouder than of L’Assommoir. It must have been in his early manhood, when poor and friendless, he lived among the people, that much of the information which makes these pages so startlingly vivid, was acquired. How many mornings, long before dawn, must he have visited these markets – how many hours and days must he have spent there, to have mastered the habits, manners and ways of these people, who are a class by themselves, and of whom we do not lose sight, from the beginning to the end of the book. He introduces us to the Parisian charcutier – the cook shop – and in La Belle Lina, the mistress of the establishment, we find the sister of Gervaise, the woman who stirred the depths of our hearts with pity, in L’Assommoir. In truth The Markets of Paris stands as utterly alone in modern French literature, as it is distinct and apart, from any other work even by Zola himself. It is a book for all to read.
( Carolin)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/marketsofparis00zola
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Markets of Paris. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Markets of Paris, by Emile Zola. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Markets of Paris by Emile Zola. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Markets of Paris, by Emile Zola. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename marketsofparis_##_zola_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. marketsofparis_01_zola_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Celine
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I'll MC for you, Mama Geek. MW will be available shortly.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

MW is ready to go. You didn't fill in the number of sections so I've started you off with 12. Sections can be added or deleted as needed once you decide how many you will actually need.
Jo
MamaGeek

Post by MamaGeek »

Thanks a lot Jo! No problem re sections. I'll adjust as I go along.

BTW I will start recording in about 3 weeks...need to finish one I'm working on first.

Happy Holidays!

Celine
Celine
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Happy Holidays to you too, Celine. I'll leave this thread here in the LaunchPad for a day or two and hopefully pick up a DPL before moving it to Going Solo.
Jo
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I'd be interested to DPL this, and a start in 3 weeks is ideal for me!
MamaGeek

Post by MamaGeek »

That's wonderful. Thank you.
Looking forward to working with you.
Happy Holidays!!!!
Celine
MamaGeek

Post by MamaGeek »

Hi and Happy New Year!!!

Just want to let you know that I've uploaded a couple of sections and will be uploading several more in the next few days. I'm ahead of schedule and please don't feel you need to rush to PL. They'll be there for you whenever you are ready for them.:-)

Feel free to let me know if you need fixes. Thank you!!!!

Take care. Celine
Celine
MamaGeek

Post by MamaGeek »

Hello again. Just a heads up that I have uploaded a few more. :-)
I'll be happy to make any corrections...pickups that are needed of course.
Thank you.

I'll probably take a little break now. :)
Celine
Celine
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I'm away on holidays until next week so I won't do any PLing until the weekend at the earliest.
MamaGeek

Post by MamaGeek »

Please don't give it a second thought. Enjoy your holidays. Like I said...they'll be there whenever you're ready!! There are no time constraints!!! :):)
Cheers!!!
Celine
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Section 1 is PL OK!

Great story so far - I like Zola and his characters. Very smoothly read also, and I love your French accent! Are you Canadian? (I have a French speaking Canadian cousin whose voice sounds a little like yours.)

Just to check - is Section 8 ready for PL or not? It says it is, but there's no link in the MW...
MamaGeek

Post by MamaGeek »

Thanks!!!! And you're right...I'm French Canadian. :-)

Yes Section 8 is ready. I'll upload it along with a couple more tomorrow because I'm just heading out the door.:)

Thanks again. Celine
Celine
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Sections 2 and 3 are PL OK.
MamaGeek

Post by MamaGeek »

Wonderful thank you.

Please don't feel you have to rush to PL just because I am uploading. :-)
Celine