COMPLETE: Pleasures of Ignorance by Robert Lynd - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

lafitte wrote: February 18th, 2018, 11:34 am Ch 3. The Betting Man
Duration: 13:00
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/pleasuresofignorance_03_lynd_128kb.mp3

Please, let me know if there are any issues. :)
Thanks. In the MW Ready for PL.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/pleasuresofignorance_03_lynd_128kb.mp3

Thanks Steven!

All in all, this was a nice recording for your first time.

I have a few notes for you on your recording:

We need 5 seconds of silence at the end and you have only one second. Please add 4 more seconds.

There is a fairly loud electronic hum in the background. If you listen to the silences in between words you can hear what I mean. I listened to your 1 minute test to see if it was flagged there, however in your test, you really had no silences where it could be picked up. I Noise Reduced this at "12" in Audacity and it cleaned right up.

There are quite a number of word substitutions, additions and deletions. Examples are "the" for "their", "a" for "of", 'it's" for "it is", "racing" for "races"," "latest" for "last", "breakfast" for "breakfasted" , "betting's man" for "betting man's", "around" for "round", "gloss" for "glossy","scrowls" for "scowls", "until" for "till" - and the inclusion of "and" and "the" (where there wasn't one) and the exclusion of "at", "the" and "from" (where there should have been one).

In a standard PL, a few of these would be usually overlooked by the DPL and in this case they don't really throw off the narrative, so I am overlooking them. However, I wanted to mention it for future recordings as some DPL's would be more picky with this. In addition if this were a poetry reading they probably would be flagged as they would change the rhythm.
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
lafitte

Post by lafitte »

NemoR wrote: February 18th, 2018, 3:18 pm

Thanks Steven!

We need 5 seconds of silence at the end and you have only one second. Please add 4 more seconds.

There is a fairly loud electronic hum in the background. If you listen to the silences in between words you can hear what I mean. I listened to your 1 minute test to see if it was flagged there, however in your test, you really had no silences where it could be picked up. I Noise Reduced this at "12" in Audacity and it cleaned right up.

There are quite a number of word substitutions, additions and deletions. Examples are "the" for "their", "a" for "of", 'it's" for "it is", "racing" for "races"," "latest" for "last", "breakfast" for "breakfasted" , "betting's man" for "betting man's", "around" for "round", "gloss" for "glossy","scrowls" for "scowls", "until" for "till" - and the inclusion of "and" and "the" (where there wasn't one) and the exclusion of "at", "the" and "from" (where there should have been one).

In a standard PL, a few of these would be usually overlooked by the DPL and in this case they don't really throw off the narrative, so I am overlooking them. However, I wanted to mention it for future recordings as some DPL's would be more picky with this. In addition if this were a poetry reading they probably would be flagged as they would change the rhythm.
Hello NemoR!

Thanks so much for your feedback. I am actually quite surprised by the amount of word substitutions I used and that is a bit of an eye opener.

Something I will keep in mind and refrain from doing in future recordings.

I added the extra silence at the end of the recording as requested and I also ran it through the Noise Reduction at "12" to take care of that humming.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/pleasuresofignorance_03_lynd_128kb.mp3

Thanks again.

S.
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

lafitte wrote: February 18th, 2018, 4:33 pm

Thanks Steven!

Hello NemoR!

Thanks so much for your feedback. I am actually quite surprised by the amount of word substitutions I used and that is a bit of an eye opener.

I added the extra silence at the end of the recording as requested and I also ran it through the Noise Reduction at "12" to take care of that humming.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/pleasuresofignorance_03_lynd_128kb.mp3

Thanks again.

S.
Hey Steven! .. thanks for the speedy turn-around!

Great job on the noise reduction ..sounds superb!

Just one thing ... instead of adding 4 seconds of silence as requested, you added 10 seconds and the file now has a bit over 11 seconds of silence at the end. Please trim off about 6 seconds and upload again.
Nemo

lafitte

Post by lafitte »

NemoR wrote: February 18th, 2018, 4:57 pm
lafitte wrote: February 18th, 2018, 4:33 pm

Thanks Steven!

Hello NemoR!

Thanks again.

S.
Hey Steven! .. thanks for the speedy turn-around!

Great job on the noise reduction ..sounds superb!

Just one thing ... instead of adding 4 seconds of silence as requested, you added 10 seconds and the file now has a bit over 11 seconds of silence at the end. Please trim off about 6 seconds and upload again.
BOOM, done!

NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Section 3 is now PL OK.
Nemo

aunrietta

Post by aunrietta »

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Section 9 The Intellectual Side of Horse-Racing is now an orphan, looking for a kind soul.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

aunrietta wrote: February 27th, 2018, 6:52 am Hello. Here is chapter 25.
Duration: 12:58
link: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/pleasuresofignorance_25_lynd_128kb.mp3

:D
Thank you!
In the MW Ready for PL
~ Larry
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

aunrietta wrote: February 27th, 2018, 6:52 am Hello. Here is chapter 25.
Duration: 12:58
link: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/pleasuresofignorance_25_lynd_128kb.mp3

:D
Thanks Monica!

This was a wonderful reading! .... your Georgian accent is so sweet and musical and I just loved listening to the way you flowed through this essay! I hope you do more!

However, I hate to say, but the ending only has a little over 2 seconds and it should be 5 seconds. If you could add on an additional 3 seconds of silence and upload again for a Spot PL, that would be great.

Thanks!
Nemo

aunrietta

Post by aunrietta »

Hello and thank you. :D Here is the reading with the added 3 seconds of silence.
Chapter 25
Duration: 12:59
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/pleasuresofignorance_25_lynd_128kb.mp3
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

aunrietta wrote: February 28th, 2018, 5:20 pm Hello and thank you. :D Here is the reading with the added 3 seconds of silence.
Chapter 25
Duration: 12:59
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/pleasuresofignorance_25_lynd_128kb.mp3
Thanks! ..... PL OK.
Nemo

Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

I can do section 9, The Intellectual Side of Horse-Racing
Tom Penn
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Penumbra wrote: March 4th, 2018, 1:14 pm I can do section 9, The Intellectual Side of Horse-Racing
Excellent!
Thanks so much.
~ Larry
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Hey Larry,

I noticed that the reader for section 5 has been AWOL for about 2 months. His section just needed a trim of a repeated line. If you would like, I could trim that and re-upload and it would be ready to go!

Let me know if you would like me to do that.
Nemo