COMPLETE Journal Tour to the Hebrides with Samuel Johnson-iq

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ogus

Post by ogus »

Corrected section 10 posted.
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

ogus wrote: May 26th, 2018, 9:26 am Corrected section 10 posted.
PL OK :thumbs:

Thanks,
aniroo
aniroo :wink:
ogus

Post by ogus »

Section 12 posted. A long one. But I was wrong. There is little on the meeting with Flora Macdonald. Instead there is fascinating narrative of how Bonnie Prince escaped the English after the Battle of Culloden. I hope you enjoy it.

Anthony
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

Section 12 PL OK :clap:

I did enjoy it very much, thank you. :D Didn't seem very long either. I was surprised when it ended.

I was reminded that I had read a story about Bonnie Prince Charlie when I was a child. I didn't understand at the time that it was historical fiction. I thought it was just a good adventure story. Can't remember the title of the book though.

aniroo
ogus

Post by ogus »

Glad you enjoyed it. Section 13 now posted. Good listening.

Anthony
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

Section 13 was well read, as always, but at 27:24 you added a sentence about an "eagle being shot with an arrow feathered from its own wing" that I didn't see in the copy I was using. Perhaps you have a different source? It felt like you were going off script all of a sudden and then returned to the script.

Other than that senence, I could mark it PL OK.

aniroo
ogus

Post by ogus »

Oh dear. Another inconsistency. I'll delete the additional phrase. Meanwhile section 14 posted. As you will hear, I did not know how to deal with the letters representing the year 1636 and simply read them out in English. If you have a better idea ...

Anthony
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

ogus wrote: July 11th, 2018, 8:41 am Oh dear. Another inconsistency. I'll delete the additional phrase. Meanwhile section 14 posted. As you will hear, I did not know how to deal with the letters representing the year 1636 and simply read them out in English. If you have a better idea ...

Anthony
Section 14 PL OK :clap:
As far as the letters representing the year, I think what you did was fine, but I also think it would have been OK to read it as one thousand six hundred and thirty six.
ogus

Post by ogus »

Revised section 13 posted. In future I will try to check the recording against the Gutenberg version; not easy, because I view this on the computer screen.

I have also revised section 14 and posted it. In the light of your helpful comment, I thought that it would be more consistent if I read out the Latin for the numerals. You can spot check this at 23:24
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

ogus wrote: July 15th, 2018, 1:48 am Revised section 13 posted. In future I will try to check the recording against the Gutenberg version; not easy, because I view this on the computer screen.

I have also revised section 14 and posted it. In the light of your helpful comment, I thought that it would be more consistent if I read out the Latin for the numerals. You can spot check this at 23:24
Sections #13 & #14 PL OK. :clap: :clap:

When I have a text as long as this one, I copy the text from the Gutenberg text and paste it to a word document. That way I can read it on my computer and change the font to the size and style I can read most easily. Also I can make notes to my self about any pronunciation that I'm not familiar with. On my script for your project, I have added the section numbers to the script and the times for any thing I need to come back to later.
ogus

Post by ogus »

Thanks for the tip. I have downloaded the Gutenberg text to my laptop and (for checking purposes) use that alongside my PC which has the Audacity software.

Section 15 posted.

Anthony
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

ogus wrote: July 27th, 2018, 5:29 am Thanks for the tip. I have downloaded the Gutenberg text to my laptop and (for checking purposes) use that alongside my PC which has the Audacity software.

Section 15 posted.

Anthony
Section 15 PL OK :clap:
And a radaratoo to you too!

aniroo
ogus

Post by ogus »

Just back from a few days in Edinburgh - a very beautiful city which made me think of Boswell.

Section 16 posted. Please note two discrepancies with the Gutenberg text. at 3:17 this indicates "flee" whereas my book copy suggests "see"; and at 13:58 "the" whereas my book "she". In both cases the book version makes more sense that the Gutenberg and I have adhered to it accordingly.

Best wishes

Anthony
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

ogus wrote: August 12th, 2018, 1:44 am Just back from a few days in Edinburgh - a very beautiful city which made me think of Boswell.

Section 16 posted. Please note two discrepancies with the Gutenberg text. at 3:17 this indicates "flee" whereas my book copy suggests "see"; and at 13:58 "the" whereas my book "she". In both cases the book version makes more sense that the Gutenberg and I have adhered to it accordingly.

Best wishes

Anthony
Section 16 PL OK :thumbs:
Thanks for the heads up on the discrepancy between the two versions. :D
ogus

Post by ogus »

Sorry it has taken me so long to get the next section posted (two trips abroad and home commitments built up in consequence). But here it is. Again I have followed my book version, rather than Gutenberg, at one point. Around 10-11 minutes (I've lost he precise point) the Gutenberg version is "ume is not the worse for Seattle's attack?'" Surely an error Seattle should be "Beattie"

Anthony