COMPLETE Journal Tour to the Hebrides with Samuel Johnson-iq

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

ogus wrote: December 13th, 2018, 11:53 am Section 22 posted. Again, not so sure about volume - is it, this time too loud?
Section #22 is not too loud. Using the checker it is 90.0 dB, within acceptable range. However, there are several sections where the volume drops noticeably. I checked my headphones to see if they needed adjusting, but looking the the file in Audacity, I could see that the volume was visibly less than the preceding or following parts. I,m thinking that it might be due to some editing on those sections. Anyway, I think the quality of the recording would be improved if you could amplified this parts a little. You can see the difference very easily where it stops and starts again at normal volume. :D

at 2:50, 4:00, 12:10, 17:43, 18:28; 20:16

Thanks,
aniroo
aniroo :wink:
ogus

Post by ogus »

Many thanks for these helpful suggestions. I hope to get a revised version to you within the next few days.
ogus

Post by ogus »

Revised section 22 posted. Thanks again for spotting the volume problem. I might try to get another section posted sometime during the holiday season, but in any event I wish you a very happy Xmas and New Year.

Anthony
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

ogus wrote: December 21st, 2018, 6:32 am Revised section 22 posted. Thanks again for spotting the volume problem. I might try to get another section posted sometime during the holiday season, but in any event I wish you a very happy Xmas and New Year.

Anthony

Section #22 PL OK.

I wish you a Happy Christmas and a glorious New Year.

aniroo
ogus

Post by ogus »

Section 23 posted.

Please note that at 9.55 I use my text rather than the Gutenberg, since the former makes more sense.

I wish you a Happy New Year with the hope that in world terms it will bring more satisfaction than 2018.

Anthony
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

ogus wrote: December 29th, 2018, 9:02 am Section 23 posted.

Please note that at 9.55 I use my text rather than the Gutenberg, since the former makes more sense.

I wish you a Happy New Year with the hope that in world terms it will bring more satisfaction than 2018.

Anthony
Section #23 PL OK :clap: :clap:

The end is in sight ! Not only for this project but for the year 2018.

I wish you a Happy New Year.

aniroo
ogus

Post by ogus »

Section 24 posted. One of the most interesting and enjoyable sections, I think.

Probably two more sections and I'm done!

Anthony
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

ogus wrote: January 3rd, 2019, 2:28 pm Section 24 posted. One of the most interesting and enjoyable sections, I think.

Probably two more sections and I'm done!

Anthony
Hi, I see that it says "Ready for PL" but I don't see a link to the section to listen to it.

Thanks,
aniroo
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Section 24 is now in the MW.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

icequeen wrote: January 3rd, 2019, 3:49 pm Section 24 is now in the MW.
Section #24 PL OK :clap: :clap: :thumbs:

I have a habit of recording the date which I PL a section. I wrote 2018 instead of 2019. My first mess up of the new year. I honestly have trouble believing I am actually living in the 21st century.
ogus

Post by ogus »

Worse things can happen!

Section 25 posted. There are a number of discrepancies in this section between my book text and the Gutenberg text and in almost all cases I have opted for my book text which seems to me to be more likely correct. Please feel free to disagree.

Two more sections to go. Nb I cannot find out how to delete the boxes I won't need in the dashboard.

Anthony
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I took care of those sections for you, Anthony! I think you have to remove yourself from the section first in order to delete them, I think. Or it could be that my adminly super powers are what is needed. I left two for you, is that enough?
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

Hi, Section 25 is PL OK, :thumbs: but with just two short paragraphs it will be finished. Is this a difference between your version and the Gutenberg version?
This is what I have after the sentence you stopped and said End of Section 25. Should I OK it in the MW? or wait for you to append the last two paragraphs? :?:

I have now completed my account of our tour to the Hebrides. I have brought Dr Johnson down to Scotland, and seen him into the coach which in a few hours carried him back into England. He said to me often, that the time he spent in this tour was the pleasantest part of his life, and asked me if I would lose the recollection of it for five hundred pounds. I answered I would not; and he applauded my setting such a value on an accession of new images in my mind.

Had it not been for me, I am persuaded Dr Johnson never would have undertaken such a journey; and I must be allowed to assume some merit from having been the cause that our language has been enriched with such a book as that which he published on his return; a book which I never read but with the utmost admiration, as I had such opportunities of knowing from what very meagre materials it was composed.

THE END
ogus

Post by ogus »

First, let me apologise for the delay in responding to your message caused by a trip to France and then pressure of work at home.

Well I never! ... In my book version, your two paragraphs are followed by testimonials written to Boswell which relate to his "Journal". I am happier with the Gutenberg version which finishes at this point. I shall add the two paragraphs to section 25 and then, when you have checked this, all is done.

Anthony
ogus

Post by ogus »

Have added the two paragraphs to section 25. So, hopefully, all is complete and satisfactory, though I have not been able to delete the sections 26 and 27 boxes from the dashboard.

I confess that though I found it an interesting book to record, I found the arrogance of Dr Johnson increasingly irritating.

Thanks to both of you for your considerable help.

Anthony