[COMPLETE] Prison Life in Andersonville by John Levi Maile - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

Thanks Dave.

It is my first foray into Andersonville and, for that matter, the Civil War. During my early years, the Civil War was only covered in 8th grade. And I recall that there were collectable cards (like baseball cards, with bubble gum) on the Civil War. They were extremely graphic and bloody, with paintings of soldiers being impaled on wooden stakes, or being blasted to pieces by grapeshot in cannon fire.

I'll eventually break down a read Shelby Foote's treatise on the Civil War.
Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA
david wales

Post by david wales »

Hi JefferySmith, I'm the reader who has recorded two books about Andersonville, the Ransom memoir and the trial of Henry Wirz. I'm glad to see you recording this book. I found my recordings fascinating, though more than a bit depressing to see how viciously human beings can treat one another. My father was a Civil War buff whom I remember reading the Kantor Andersonville novel in the mid 1950s. He bequeathed his interest to me, though it took several years to take hold! Right on!
Peace, David
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

Hi David. I look forward to listening to your Andersonville recordings. Other than the horrifying photos of inhumanity only revisited by the Holocaust, I knew little about Andersonville. Since I started reading this book, I have had my interest piqued in a way that commands me to learn more. I find that the grim recounting of those years affects my reading voice. I cannot read the chapters with the enthusiasm I might otherwise be using as the words are so redoubtable. I even tried to find some of Edward R. Murrow's radio broadcasts as inspiration.

Thank you for your introduction. I look forward to studying some of your works here!

Kindest regards,

Jeffery
Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

10 PL OK.
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

Thanks Dave!

Now I have a question about the next chapter. The remaining chapters aren't really chapters. The next chapter is Appendix A. Is the following the best way to go about reading it?

------------------------------------------------------

Appendix A of Prison Life in Andersonville by John Levi Maile

This Librivox recording is in the Public Domain

Recording by Jeffery Smith, New Orleans, LA

CONTRIBUTORY TESTIMONY

Many narratives of experiences in the military prisons maintained by the government of the Confederate States of America during the Civil War have been written by Union officers and soldiers confined therein....
Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Yes. It's pretty obvious the appendices follow the text and they are numbered A thru E so their sequencing is pretty obvious also.
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

But is the way I proposed reading the beginning of the piece the right way to do it? Since the appendix has a title to it, this seemed most logical way.
Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Yes, just like you would with a chapter title.
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

Got it. Will do. Thanks Dave!
Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

11 PL OK.

Unfortunately you misnumbered the file name (01 instead of the correct number 11). The simplest and safest way to correct this is to renumber this file (to 11) and upload both the (correct) first section (01) and this section (11). The most recent uploads are the ones that get used when the book is finally catalogued.
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

GAAAAA! I think I have it corrected. I'm glad that I never delete anything I have recorded...I just buy a new hard drive when things get full.

I uploaded the correctly numbered 11 to today's post, and then went back and re-uploaded chapter 1.
Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I just downloaded the files and all is right and beautiful in the world. Well at least our small part of it.
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA