[COMPLETE] Neither Here nor There by Oliver Herford - kd

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

DrPGould wrote:Here are the links for Sections 10 and 30. Running times are (respectively) 5:46 and 9:04.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddrag ... _128kb.mp3

Many thanks,

Philip
Hi Philip,

Section 30 is PL OK - nice job!

Section 10 has one small fix needed:

At around 2:26, the text is: (fire-escapes are most important) - in your recording the word "important" is missing, sounds like maybe it got cut out by accident?

Thanks,

Nemo
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Hi Deon!

Nice recording, however I have a few notes for you.

Could you take a listen please to the intro, it sounded to me like twice you said: LibriVox “reportings” instead of LibriVox “recordings”

Also, at 0:30, the text is: “small island in the midst of a turbulent sea of traffic” and I heard “mist” instead of “midst” which changes the meaning. Can you check that also?

If you are good with both of the above and want to let them go, I'm OK with that.

At 2:09, the text is: “Nevertheless, though he never appeared on the menu,”, and you omitted the word “never” which changes the meaning.

Thanks!

Nemo
Nemo

DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Nemo:

Thanks so much for your PL. I have uploaded the correction for Section 10. I think you may be right about the cause of the problem, but I guess its also possible my exterminator got carried away when he was removing the ants from my kitchen and took one out of import-ant as well. :wink:

Happy New Year and many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

DrPGould wrote:Nemo:

Thanks so much for your PL. I have uploaded the correction for Section 10. I think you may be right about the cause of the problem, but I guess its also possible my exterminator got carried away when he was removing the ants from my kitchen and took one out of import-ant as well. :wink:

Happy New Year and many thanks,

Philip
Flawless edit Philip!

This is PL OK.

Nemo
Nemo

deongines

Post by deongines »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddrag ... _128kb.mp3 0538

I made all three changes. Thanks for the PL. Good day!
Turning it over in your mind will not plough the field.
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

deongines wrote:https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddrag ... _128kb.mp3 0538

I made all three changes. Thanks for the PL. Good day!
Great edits Deon!!

Thanks so much, this is now PL OK!

Nemo
Nemo

Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

silverquill wrote: Sorry about missing you for 9. It is yours.

I do appreciate your posting your first file for evaluation. This will save us some time.
I do love your reading, and not the slight echo mentioned in your test evaluation, at it is perfectly acceptable, so I wouldn't change anything about that. Overall it is quite a pleasant sound.

There are two technical issues, however, that need attention.

The easiest to fix is the ending silence. It need to be 5 seconds and you have only one second. For this, you can just copy and paste the one second to get the five. When recording, just let the recording run for a little longer than five seconds and then trim it.

More serious is the high volume. Our LibriVox target is 89dB with a range of 86-92dB Yours measures 94.3dB This would also evident looking at the wave form which also shows numerous red spikes on my Audacity display.

To correct this, I used the Amplify feature in Audacity and set it to -5, but it would be better to adjust your mic settings to get it closer to the desired 89dB. I usually do some volume adjusting, but the less needed, the better.

I use two tools to help. The first is an Audacity plug-in called ReplayGain. After recording, I just run this and it tells me how many dB adjustment is needed, and then I use the amplify feature in Audacity. When I PL pieces, I check the technical parameters with a little program called Checker written specifically for LibriVox. It checks volume, length, bit rate, etc. There are links to both of these programs in the LV wikis.

Oh, one other thing. Please post the file length along with your link. This one measures 4:44.

Once you have these technical aspects well in hand, you'll be a seasoned pro. You are off to a good start. I look forward to the rest of your recordings.

ETA: Make the necessary changes, then upload the new file under the same name, then post the link here again along with the new file length.
OK, here's an updated file. I made sure the output volume is compressed more (lowered the threshold to start compression), so the peaks should be lower in volume, as is the overall file, at least somewhat. Hope it's OK now. Length is 3:07.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Bobbin wrote:
OK, here's an updated file. I made sure the output volume is compressed more (lowered the threshold to start compression), so the peaks should be lower in volume, as is the overall file, at least somewhat. Hope it's OK now. Length is 3:07.
Well, what I needed a corrected file for was Section 8 which is the one I sampled.

This is Section 9 which is actually even higher in volume, measuring 96.1 dB in Checker. You can also see this just in the size of the wave form. So, I'm not sure what you did to the file. If you are using Audacity, you can use the Amplification feature and set it to -7 to get it close. That's a lot, so I'm not sure how much distortion it might introduce, but this value is way too high.
~ Larry
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

silverquill wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 10:07 pm Well, what I needed a corrected file for was Section 8 which is the one I sampled.

This is Section 9 which is actually even higher in volume, measuring 96.1 dB in Checker. You can also see this just in the size of the wave form. So, I'm not sure what you did to the file. If you are using Audacity, you can use the Amplification feature and set it to -7 to get it close. That's a lot, so I'm not sure how much distortion it might introduce, but this value is way too high.
Alright then - I didn't realize you guys have your own, Librivox-themed volume checker tool. :) I now downloaded it myself, and dialed it down according to it, exported the audio again - now it measures 90.2 dB in Checker itself. Again, length is 3:07, and here's the link:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/neitherherenorthere_09_herford_128kb.mp3

If it's OK now, I'll make sure to check all of the others with this tool, then upload them on one go.
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Larry:

May I finish Section 29 (old habits die hard)?

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

All of your sections are in the MW Ready for PL
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

DrPGould wrote: January 8th, 2018, 2:56 pm Larry:

May I finish Section 29 (old habits die hard)?

Many thanks,

Philip
Of course, and thanks for taking another of the longer sections.
~ Larry
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Hi Adir!

First let me say that you have a great reading style and it is very engaging to listen to .... nice job!

I do have some notes on your selections, all very simple things to fix!

Sections 8, 9, 18 and 28:

We need 5 seconds of silence at the end and these all only have less than 1 second.

Section 20:

This has a little less than 2 seconds at the end and as noted above, we need 5.

In addition, at 4:56, I loved your added translation of the Latin phrase at the end of the chapter - “Nemo fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit.” - in which you added on your own: “ which in Latin means, no one dances sober unless he is insane” ..... however, this is not part of the book and I am not sure if we can use your ad-lib here .... I will leave that up to Larry to decide .... Larry??

If you can just add the needed silence at the end of each recording and upload again for spot PL, that would be very much appreciated. Let's see what Larry has to say about section 20 and if he does not want your added lines in there, those will need to be trimmed out as well.

Thank you!

Nemo
Nemo

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

~ Larry