COMPLETE] Half a Century by Jane Grey Swisshelm-dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thank you, Erin!

Please feel free to take a look at my edited summary and to offer suggestions!

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

I'm sorry, I ought to have said - I did have a look, and nothing jumped out at me. It looks good! You've done a respectable job of condensing this book into a few pertinent sentences. I probably would have gone off on a tangent about the panther her ex-husband kept!
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

The panther and the slave-owning general!

Thanks.

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

You're right, the slave-owning general. And the threats to life and property with running the newspaper. And the messy divorce. And those in-laws. I'll leave her opinions on the Sioux to one side, but yeah, I wouldn't have believed it if you'd told me a few months ago!
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Here’s for plunging in sight unseen!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

Chapters 73, 74 and 75 are PL OK. I've been enjoying my time with her, but I'm glad that before long she'll be out into the world, meeting new people (and quite likely taking over by force, knowing her!).
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Yes, and thank you!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

Hi Pam,

One tiny thing I heard with 76. It's not major, but I'll make a note of it - at 1.09-1.13, p. 345, mid-paragraph of the first paragraph: ...that our Commissaries [heard Commisionaries] were issuing stores without stint to the citizens...

Like I said, not a big deal. There were other instances of it in the singular, not the plural, in the chapter at 3.44-3.52 (said twice) and again at 12.17. I mention these three 'freebies' because some people are good at performing surgery with within-chapter examples of a word or phrase. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've made that work, but I don't know if you can do it or want to try!
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thanks!
Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Erin,

Chapter 76 is ready for PL:

16:08

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/halfacentury_76_swisshelm_128kb.mp3

My best,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Robert Louis Stevenson