[COMPLETE] Countess of Lowndes Square by E. F. Benson-tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jimsvox4

Post by jimsvox4 »

Yes indeed, it panned out nicely, and that final line - to the effect of: 'you shall sit next to the princess' as a reward for both letting him off criminal charges as well as showing unexpected spirit - was a hoot!

One more to do from the wonderful E F Benson which I'll try to get to you soonest :-)

mightyfelix wrote: February 24th, 2018, 10:47 am Excellent! :clap: PL ok!

I wasn't quite sure how it would play out, but I was fairly certain he wouldn't get away with it. :lol: Delightful! Thanks again!
Michelemc

Post by Michelemc »

Hi there. Here's Section 5, The Oriolists. Time: 39:38.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/countessoflowndessquare_05_benson_128kb.mp3

Benson had quite a sense of humour!

NB to the PL: on page 107 (around 36:29) of the story, there's a typo: 'iyth instant'. I found another copy of the text in archive.org which shows it as '17th instant' so that's what I read.

Cheers,
Michele
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you, Michele! I've entered that into the MW. Looking forward to listening. And thank you for doing the needed "legwork" to uncover the meaning of that typo! I'm pretty certain "iyth" is not what was intended!

Indeed, each of these stories so far has been quite funny in its own way, and I've certainly enjoyed hearing these stories by an author I'd previously never heard of!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Lovely job, Michele! This may be one of my favorite stories of the bunch! I do have a few notes for you.
  • Please do a round of noise cleaning. I found the level of background noise to be distracting.
  • At about 4:04, you say "in case we had a stance afterwards." This should have been "in case we had a seance afterwards."
  • Missed edit at 31:50-31:55 "Then on an ever memorable day two type-written copies of the Cologne sonnets circulated..."
  • At ending, please add "End of section 5," followed by 5 seconds of silence
Overall, very well done! :clap:
jimsvox4

Post by jimsvox4 »

Section 6 complete and passed by Checker, running time 27:55

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/countessoflowndessquare_06_benson_128kb.mp3.mp3

Jim
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Great work! "In the Dark" is PL ok! :thumbs:

I have to say, I was really hoping it would end that way. :9:

All we need now is those edits on section 5!
jimsvox4

Post by jimsvox4 »

That was quite a different type of story from the very light hearted ones! :-)
    mightyfelix wrote: March 4th, 2018, 5:49 pm Great work! "In the Dark" is PL ok! :thumbs:

I have to say, I was really hoping it would end that way. :9:

All we need now is those edits on section 5!
    mightyfelix
    LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

jimsvox4 wrote: March 4th, 2018, 7:10 pm That was quite a different type of story from the very light hearted ones! :-)
    Indeed! An apt title. That one was rather darker than most of these, in more than one way. "The Ape" and "Through" (which you should really hear! Kate did a wonderful job!) were both somewhat dark, but not so much as this one.
    Michelemc

Post by Michelemc »

At last, here's section 5. Sorry to take so long.

I had some problems reproducing the same sound quality with the insertions. Hope it's OK. If not, I'll have to re-record. Sigh...

Time is 39:32

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/countessoflowndessquare_05_benson_128kb.mp3

Cheers,
    Michele
    mightyfelix
    LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you, Michele! PL ok now!

I see what you mean about getting the sound to match. Your edits do have quite an echo-y quality to them. Sounds like you were recording in a different environment, probably someplace with lots of hard surfaces, like a kitchen or something? But don't worry about re-recording. Our quality standards aren't as stringent as all that. Everything is complete and understandable, and very well read! Thanks again for such a great job on another fun story!
    mightyfelix
    LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ready for cataloguing, Tricia! :thumbs:
    TriciaG
    LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Commencing cataloging!
    Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
    Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
    Humor: My Lady Nicotine
    TriciaG
    LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-countess-of-lowndes-square-and-other-stories-by-e-f-benson/
    Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
    Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
    Humor: My Lady Nicotine
    mightyfelix
    LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you! Congratulations, and thank you again, everyone! :clap:
    jimsvox4

Post by jimsvox4 »

Hear hear! Thanks Devorah and everyone involved - what a super collection of charming stories, and it was a great pleasure to be part of this!
    Jim
    mightyfelix wrote: March 11th, 2018, 5:21 pm Thank you! Congratulations, and thank you again, everyone! :clap: