[COMPLETE] Countess of Lowndes Square by E. F. Benson-tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

queenk8 wrote: January 14th, 2018, 11:46 am May I claim section 8? The Case of Frank Hampden
Great story collection!
Thanks, Kate! I will PL 11 soon (today, probably) and I've assigned you section 8. I'm glad you're enjoying these!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Excellent job, Jim! What a fun story!

No errors, however, I'm going to ask you to make a change for the sake of clarification. I was tracking right along with the story the whole time, right up until the end, where the spelling comes into play. It sounded from your narration as if Pocksky and Mrs. Andrews spelled the name differently, but then the narrator said that they used the same spelling. I had to go look at the text to understand. So, rather than the D-A-R-D-A-N-E-L-L-E-S spelling that you gave at 21:14, could you make it clear that she used the D-A-R-D-A-N-E-L-S spelling in her note? I'd say maybe insert her spelling immediately after her note, or possibly immediately after the name, during her note, except that your characterization of her in that moment was so wonderful, I'd hate to break it up. Thank you so much!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

queenk8 wrote: January 14th, 2018, 11:44 am Section 11 is ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/countessoflowndessquare_11_benson_128kb.mp3
Time is 29:19
Ooh, that one was spooky! PL ok!
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

I just back into DC. I would love to take them both. I can have them done by 4am tomorrow morning if that will work.

EDIT: Also, your link for the PL is dead. "Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard".
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

MagicMan wrote: January 14th, 2018, 2:34 pm I just back into DC. I would love to take them both. I can have them done by 4am tomorrow morning if that will work.

EDIT: Also, your link for the PL is dead. "Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard".
Thank you. There's no rush on PLing for those sections, I just wanted to be proactive. As you can see, there are still several chapters that haven't yet been claimed, so there's plenty of time. :)

As for the link, I appreciate your pointing it out, however, I don't know if I'll be able to fix it. That is not really "my" link, as it is part of the automatic formatting that is generated when launching a new project. I think it used to link to a certain page in the wiki. I'll see if I can find it later.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Actually, I believe I did fix it! I have no idea why it changed. Maybe it had something to do with the forum update recently (although I doubt it), maybe the original thread moved? :hmm: I'll try to remember to check that in the future. 8-)
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

No problem. I read one on the old forum. Standard is just checking for opening/closing credits, double words or phrases. Am I close?

I have most of my down time in the early am. I have a few things kicking off around 7am so I will have plenty of time. If you plan on reading more, I can pl those as well. Just let me know where I can help out. :thumbs:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

MagicMan wrote: January 14th, 2018, 2:51 pm No problem. I read one on the old forum. Standard is just checking for opening/closing credits, double words or phrases. Am I close?

I have most of my down time in the early am. I have a few things kicking off around 7am so I will have plenty of time. If you plan on reading more, I can pl those as well. Just let me know where I can help out. :thumbs:
Yes, that's the idea. Correct opening/closing disclaimers is important. And that there are no obvious errors or stumbles. You can also make note of "Things that make you go, 'Huh?'" Often times, that may indicate an error that changed the meaning of the text so that it makes less sense, and that's a problem. You're not required to follow along with the text, but when I PL, if I hear something that makes me go, "Huh?", then I usually will go check the text to see if there was an error introduced.

I'll only need sections 12 and 13 for this project, but I'll keep you in mind if I need help on something else. :thumbs:
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

Thanks, will do.
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

Section 12 & 13 PL OK. Great narration!! :clap:
clarksonr

Post by clarksonr »

mightyfelix wrote: January 14th, 2018, 11:58 am Section 15:

At 4:19-4:30, there is a repeat of the sentence: "In imagination they roamed... ...foreign travel." I'm sure you meant to cut the first one, as that one contains an error.

Otherwise, no errors. Well done!
I removed the offending duplicate.

The time is now 30:37 and the file is here https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/countessoflowndessquare_15_benson_128kb.mp3

Thanks for listening!
Thanks, Roman
Pseudonym: Roman Noble
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you, Roman. It's PL ok now. :) Feel free to grab another story if you like. :wink:

And thank you, Dana, for the PL of my two sections. :clap:
jimsvox4

Post by jimsvox4 »

Hi Devorah

My goodness! The gremlins must be at work! I sent a reply to you yesterday saying I was on the case to make the changes you suggested, but I can't find any reference to my note to you - how puzzling!

No problem: here is the revised file and I do hope that it makes the spelling more understandable to the listener. I'm also glad you enjoyed the reading and I can tell you that that is why I wanted to do the piece - what a delicious story!

Passed by the Checker at 89.5dB, running time 21:48 -

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/countessoflowndessquare_09_benson_128.mp3

mightyfelix wrote: January 14th, 2018, 12:39 pm
Excellent job, Jim! What a fun story!

No errors, however, I'm going to ask you to make a change for the sake of clarification. I was tracking right along with the story the whole time, right up until the end, where the spelling comes into play. It sounded from your narration as if Pocksky and Mrs. Andrews spelled the name differently, but then the narrator said that they used the same spelling. I had to go look at the text to understand. So, rather than the D-A-R-D-A-N-E-L-L-E-S spelling that you gave at 21:14, could you make it clear that she used the D-A-R-D-A-N-E-L-S spelling in her note? I'd say maybe insert her spelling immediately after her note, or possibly immediately after the name, during her note, except that your characterization of her in that moment was so wonderful, I'd hate to break it up. Thank you so much!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

jimsvox4 wrote: January 17th, 2018, 4:04 pm Hi Devorah

My goodness! The gremlins must be at work! I sent a reply to you yesterday saying I was on the case to make the changes you suggested, but I can't find any reference to my note to you - how puzzling!

No problem: here is the revised file and I do hope that it makes the spelling more understandable to the listener. I'm also glad you enjoyed the reading and I can tell you that that is why I wanted to do the piece - what a delicious story!

Passed by the Checker at 89.5dB, running time 21:48 -

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/countessoflowndessquare_09_benson_128.mp3
Perfect! Thank you so much! Now it's quite clear what's going on. :)

Still a few more very good stories, up for grabs, if you're interested. :wink:
queenk8

Post by queenk8 »

Kate Follis
I love to read, AND my employer matches my volunteer hours with a donation to the Internet Archive, flagged to benefit Librivox.org. How cool is that?