COMPLETE: Bill Bolton and Hidden Danger - Noel Sainsbury -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

Bill Bolton and Hidden Danger by Noel E. Sainsbury (1884 - 1956).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/bill-bolton-and-hidden-danger-by-noel-e-sainsbury-jr/

Third entry in series of mystery-adventures about Midshipman Bill Bolton, a 17-year-old US Navy pilot. ( Matt Pierard)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/54413
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: young adult, mystery, Maine

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Bill Bolton and Hidden Danger. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Bill Bolton and Hidden Danger, by Noel Sainsbury. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Bill Bolton and Hidden Danger by Noel Sainsbury. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Bill Bolton and Hidden Danger, by Noel E. Sainsbury. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename billboltonhiddendanger_##_sainsbury_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. billboltonhiddendanger_01_sainsbury_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Matt. I'll MC for you. MW will be available shortly..
Jo
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

Thanks, Jo. I'll start putting in chapter headings next.
loon

Post by loon »

This looks like a fun book. I went to Project Gutenberg and read a bit of it - oh yeah! People wrote like that in the '30s.

From the ~ it looks like you're looking for a DPL - I'd be happy to do that if you wish.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

Sure, if you want to give it a go. Words like 'gee whiz' and 'hep' are not used that much anymore, unfortunately. 8-)

Jo, I've uploaded three more sections.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

loon added as DPL. Moving to Going Solo...
Jo
loon

Post by loon »

Ok -6 chapters to listen to- I'm on a late shift today and early tomorrow. I'll start in the afternoon.
loon

Post by loon »

I had a chance to listen to chapter 1 & noticed a couple things.

1) Your record level - as reported by Checker - is just a smidge outside the Librivox allowable limit (92.2 dB and the maximum is 92). I then ran chapters 2-6 through Checker; they are all in the 92.0 to 92.5 dB range. If you lower the volume of each of these chapters by 3 dB they would be right in the middle of the acceptable range. Your levels are pretty consistent from chapter to chapter, so you should probably do the same to future chapters right from the get-go.

2) You've named your chapters billboltonhiddendanger_##_sainsbury_128kb.mp3 but the directions in the first post ask for billboltonhiddendanger_##_sainsbury.mp3 - without the "_128kb". Jo can decide if you should re-upload the files with a modified name or if that can be fixed up when it comes time to publish the whole book.

Chapter 1 is a good read - it just needs these technical fixes. I don't have time to listen to 2-5 yet tonight, so more to come tomorrow.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Rich, Matt's filenames are correct. I forgot to add the _128kb in fixing up the first post, but he is an experienced reader and knows that it is needed. As for the volume, 92 is on the high end, but as long as all the files are consistent in volume, it's acceptable for a solo. :)
Jo
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

Thanks Jo, and Rich.

I've uploaded the next two chapters - 7 & 8.
loon

Post by loon »

Chapters 1 - 6 PL OK -- with some notes.

As I mentioned in a previous message, the audio levels are a bit loud, but they are pretty consistent from chapter to chapter, so people won't have to leap to the volume control when listening.

In chapter 1:
At various places in the chapter - especially 6:45 - 6:50 - there is a low frequency noise/rumble. I had Audacity show me a frequency plot and there is a peak around 49 Hz with some other frequencies as well. I have no idea what causes this. My headphones have pretty good low frequency response so I'm hearing it, but it's not likely to bother someone listening on earbuds. You might want to start adding some gentle low cut - a.k.a. high pass - filtering as a part of your editing process.

In chapter 2 and beyond:
I note you are paraphrasing the standard LibriVox opening text. Let's see: book title, author, "LibriVox", "public domain", chapter number, chapter title are all there - you're fine.

In chapter 3:
6:41 missing phrase: "on a slant from the shore" - this doesn't alter the sense of the paragraph, so OK
9:21 missed edit: "20 mile breeze span-spanking spanking their tailplane" - this doens't bother me
(In this chapter I noticed the Gutenberg text has all the airplane brand names in italics. There's a typographic convention that didn't stick around - it's like putting Ford or Toyota in italics.)

In chapter 4:
(no notes)

In chapter 5:
various places - see 2:41 - 2:43 for example - the low rumble/noise as I heard in chapter 1
6:28 a really tight edit: "before Charlie gobbles|all the sandwiches" - certainly noticeable as an edit, but all the words are there, so OK

In chapter 6:
7:38 missed edit: "It was an ideal spot for a qui- quiet dip" - this doesn't bother me

You added two more chapters while I was listening to these. I'll get to them tomorrow.

An exciting story, yay!
loon

Post by loon »

Matt - I listened to chapters 7 and 8

chapter 7 - "The Mysterious Trio" - PL OK - no notes

chapter 8 is the loudest yet - Checker says 92.9 - Jo, is this still OK?
chapter 8 notes:
the low frequency noise is back in various places in this chapter - 0:34 - 0:39 is one example
8:04 "no choice" rather than "no chance" - slightly disturbs the meaning of the paragraph - this is near the bottom of page 119 in the Gutenberg transcription. I think it's OK.

Chapters 1-7 are marked "PL OK" in the magic window. Chapter 8 is marked - for now - "See PL notes"

One of the cool things about PLing a solo read is having the chapters delivered in sequence - that makes it much easier to enjoy the plot.
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

Low-frequency noises range from cars, trucks, and motorcycles passing by my house, planes flying over it (I live near a small airport), bird song, my cat using my chair as a scratching post, and my laptop fan going on. There are no windowless rooms in my house so bg noise is unavoidable.
As Jo pointed out, I've been with LV since 2009. I have a set formula that works for me and others.
I'll work on the other edits, though, and re-up in the coming days.
Thanks.
loon

Post by loon »

VfkaBT wrote:Low-frequency noises range from cars, trucks, and motorcycles passing by my house, planes flying over it (I live near a small airport), bird song, my cat using my chair as a scratching post, and my laptop fan going on. There are no windowless rooms in my house so bg noise is unavoidable.
Ah ha! Got it. And that explains why every time I hear the bg noise it's a different pitch - someone else's truck.

The only one of the possible edits I noted that bothers me is the "no choice" vs "no chance" in chapter 8, because that makes the paragraph kind of confusing.
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

Jo and Rich, I'm re-uploading all files with lowered db rates and fixed recording errors.