[COMPLETE]World's Story 1: China, Japan, Islands of the Pacific - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Chris, Ava, thank you so much. This is indeed another boost forward. :9: Will PL later on, promised.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Section 29 nicely patched in and is now PL ok. Thanks Chris for taking on the Australian sections !

Sonia
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Kitty wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 2:17 am Chris, Ava, thank you so much. This is indeed another boost forward. :9: Will PL later on, promised.
Actually, as far as I've seen, the project is almost finished - all sections recorded :)

Let's go to India! :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

moniaqua wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 2:50 am Actually, as far as I've seen, the project is almost finished - all sections recorded :)
Let's go to India! :)
aha, here's someone eager to continue the journey :9: Actually I am still waiting for 3 sections and one correction. But I'm hopeful they will come in during the next week or so. And yes, I will start preparing the journey to India soon, so stay tuned. I will put the link in here, so you guys all know when it's happening.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

just had a listen to your first section with the super-cool Admiral Yi Sun-Sin 8-) He was much more of a hero than Hideyoshi in this story I felt :lol: I bet there is a Korean movie about this guy. Excellent narration yet again, Ava. No errors at all. Another Section PL ok.

btw I already changed the file names to include the missing extra 0 ;)

thank you, and I'm on to the next...

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and this chapter is also PL ok. :clap: Well Tokichi was much better skilled in motivating his small army than Mondo and that is why he won :lol: Interesting little story.

Great reading again. Only thing, for me personally, the pauses in-between some paragraphs felt a bit too long, many were 2 seconds long or thereabout. I didn't notice this in your other chapters. But on the other hand, it made for an agreeable and quietly paced listening and at the end of the day, it's always better to have a bit of a longer pause, for the audience to assimilate what has been said, than to rush through the chapter. So this did not in any way disturb my enjoyment.

Thanks again !

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Glad you liked it!
Sorry about the pauses - I felt I had read too quickly in that section, so I slowed down the recording by 2% afterwards. Didn't think of the pauses though... :?

Yi Sun-sin seems to have been quite the character, and yes, I'm sure he's very famous in Korea! 8-)

I personally find Hideyoshi (Yokichi in the second story) very interesting. His is pretty much a rags-to-riches kind of story, from being a common soldier to becoming the leader of Japan (though not the Shogun, he couldn't get that title because of his inferior rank). There are many places in Kyoto associated with Hideyoshi, and he had at least a knack for choosing the right people to do things for him. There is the Sanbo-in garden in Daigo-ji Temple that was "designed by Hideyoshi", and it is the most stunning Japanese garden I have ever seen (http://www.daigoji.or.jp/garan/sanboin_detail_e.html). That may not mean much, but a friend of mine, who had lived in Japan for 40 years was equally amazed by it. :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 7:56 am Sorry about the pauses - I felt I had read too quickly in that section, so I slowed down the recording by 2% afterwards. Didn't think of the pauses though... :?
ah so that's what happened. I was wondering why you paused so long because that was not really your style before. :hmm: Well, I can live with them, as I said, I much prefer a bit too slow than too fast.
I personally find Hideyoshi (Yokichi in the second story) very interesting. His is pretty much a rags-to-riches kind of story, from being a common soldier to becoming the leader of Japan (though not the Shogun, he couldn't get that title because of his inferior rank).
ah yes, I got this impression that he was a "self-made" man. That may be why Mondo was so jealous in the first place. Yes, interesting character indeed
There is the Sanbo-in garden in Daigo-ji Temple that was "designed by Hideyoshi", and it is the most stunning Japanese garden I have ever seen (http://www.daigoji.or.jp/garan/sanboin_detail_e.html). That may not mean much, but a friend of mine, who had lived in Japan for 40 years was equally amazed by it. :thumbs:
ah yes, Japanese Garden design is always very peaceful and spectacular. :9: There are some here in Europe as well. I need to visit one if ever I spend my holidays near one.

Thanks for the link ! Beautiful indeed. One probably can spend the entire day there and not have seen it all.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ANNOUNCEMENT:

I'm sure you were all impatiently awaiting the second book in the World Story series, so here it is. First come first serve.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=69442

And for the drama afficionados, there is only one play this time. I need 9 volunteers !

Jim: do you want to PL my sections yet again ?

Have fun !

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Absolutely. Thanks for asking me. And I will sign up for some chapters here soon.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: March 5th, 2018, 9:20 am Absolutely. Thanks for asking me. And I will sign up for some chapters here soon.
thanks ! I already saw ! Your commitment is enormous :thumbs:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Sections 76 and 77 have been orphaned and reassigned to our untiring Jim :9: Thank you, Jim !

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Here are too pitiful orphans named 76 and 77:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume01_076_tappan_128kb.mp3 14.41 KB

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume01_077_tappan_128kb.mp3 1.89 KB

15:22

2:01

Jim

Gutenberg wasn't working in the standard format, so I had to resort to the plain text. So I am hoping all is well with that! :hmm:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: March 7th, 2018, 6:16 pm Here are too pitiful orphans named 76 and 77:
ok...weird examinations in a way :? and as for those test questions, I would have failed dismally :lol:

But the two sections are PL ok. You are ready for civil office, Jim :thumbs:
Gutenberg wasn't working in the standard format, so I had to resort to the plain text. So I am hoping all is well with that! :hmm:
why Gutenberg ? I gave the link to the archive scan...I didn't find the books in Gutenberg. Could you give me your link please ?

Thanks

Waiting for the final section :9:

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Oh, sorry. I assumed it was Gutenberg. I used the link on the front page for Volume 1, but I wasn't able to turn pages or generally move about. The plain text must have been the same, so all is well. Thank you for these and for the redo for 40 from Volume 2. Yours, Jim