[COMPLETE]World's Story 1: China, Japan, Islands of the Pacific - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Nicky504

Post by Nicky504 »

It's a completely new recording. When I went to fix it, I thought the change in tone/flow was too abrupt. I made sure to try to record it in one session. Hopefully, this recording won't have those mistakes.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Nicky504 wrote:It's a completely new recording. When I went to fix it, I thought the change in tone/flow was too abrupt. I made sure to try to record it in one session.
I understand your concerns very well, because I (and many new readers) had exactly the same problems in the beginning. But re-recording an entire text, on the long run, is not time-effective. It's ok for short poems of a minute or two, but this text was almost 10 minutes long. It is a lot of work for you and also for me to re-listen to it all.
Plus, I did find another error, unfortunately, towards the end :(

> at 7:58: (p. 238) "and knight-errantry of that sort is out of date" - you say "knightenary" which is not a word, as far as I know

Now, please, do not re-record it all again. See it as a good opportunity now to learn editing a section, which will be invaluable for later recordings.

Here is how I do corrections, please try it and you will see that the result will not be too bad.

1) open your recording in one Audacity window and also open a SECOND Audacity window: it's important to first record the corrected sentence in a NEW window, not immediately into the text

2) listen a few times to the sentence you want to re-record, I would suggest the part which I mentioned in my note, as it has a natural break, but you can also do the entire sentence, if you think that is easier for you. Practice saying it aloud with the same tone of voice you used before

3) now record this sentence in the new window, maybe two or three times, try saying it like you said it before, so it will fit in more with the flow

4) noise-clean and amplify or decrease this short file with the corrected sentence, just like you would noise-clean the entire recording

5) now highlight the corrected part, copy it and paste it into the right slot in your previous recording, deleting the wrong part in the same process.

6) and finally, listen to this section again, preferably one sentence before and one sentence after your corrected part. You will usually notice that the volume is not the same. I always notice that my corrected sentence is a bit louder than the rest. So as a last thing to do, highlight your new part again, and decrease the volume (or amplify if you need that) and tinker around until you feel it sounds similar to the rest.

And that's it. For me (and many others who tried this suggestion) it works very well. It will take a bit of practice and you may not be happy with your first outcome, but believe me, you will get better with time and learning this now in the very beginning will save you so much time on further sections, especially longer ones. And also: in a long text, even if one part of the sentence sounds a tiny bit off, the listeners will not be concerned much about that once they continue with the flow. So you do not need to be perfect. :)

Sonia
Nicky504

Post by Nicky504 »

Hi Sonia,
I was too focus on trying to record better. I did not intend to create the extra work and I apologize.
I fixed the error. Here is the link: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume01_079_tappan_128kb.mp3
Time 9:07

Thanks for your work and patience,
Nicky
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Nicky504 wrote: January 24th, 2018, 8:28 am I was too focus on trying to record better. I did not intend to create the extra work and I apologize.
no need to apologize, Nicky, as I said, I DO understand your concerns as I had the same. But the advantage of learning the editing as early as possible is really important as it is really not a good option always to re-record a whole section if you only have one small error.

And the good news are: your correction sounds really good :thumbs: I can give you a PL ok now. :clap:

Thank you so much for trying this out. Sometimes it's a bit tricky to just insert one word, so recording the entire sentence where the error was in, is much preferable. I myself always record one sentence or a part of a sentence, between commas, for example. Where I make a natural break in speaking. That is much easier for me to correct then. But keep working on the editing and you'll find the best way for yourself how to work better. Practice makes perfect :D

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

May I claim the remaining sections?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: January 30th, 2018, 6:20 am May I claim the remaining sections?
oh Jim :9: gladly of course. I already feared I would be stuck with the longest section in the end :?

Thank you so much, looking forward to your recordings.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

that means this project is fully claimed for the moment :D so I move it over to Readers Found. Thank you all for the great commitment so far.

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thank you!
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wow that was fast, Jim. Thank you so much. This story would be cool to put into a movie. It's incredible that this guy encountered so many boxers and always escaped them, or rather, even dined with them and came to no harm. He must have had nerves of steel. :shock:

Excellent job, no errors at all. PL ok. :9:

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Yeah, he was a pretty cool customer, wasn't he? Thanks, Sonia.
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 1:31 pmHere is 81:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume01_081_tappan_128kb.mp3 15.92 KB
16:59
Jim
thank you Jim for yet another great (and long !) chapter. Totally PL ok again and interesting to listen to. I wouldn't want to have lived in Pekin during those times :?

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks, Sonia, you are so kind and thoughtful--a joy to work with you. Jim
Nuria

Post by Nuria »