[COMPLETE][GROUP/MYSTERY] The Goddess by Richard Marsh - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
PSHarvey106

Post by PSHarvey106 »

Kitty wrote: November 30th, 2020, 5:20 am
PSHarvey106 wrote: November 29th, 2020, 8:41 pmHere is chapter 23:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/goddess_23_marsh_128kb.mp3
:shock: the suspense is becoming unbearable ! What a cliffhanger here. And now Lawrence isn't dead ? Didn't see that one coming. Now looking forward to the next chapter, which unfortunately isn't even claimed yet. :lol:

Excellent reading, Paul, your expressive narrative had me hooked from the start. :thumbs: Really enjoyed it, also the dialogues which you so excellently read in character. I'm sure you would feel right at home in our drama section as well. ;) Maybe one day I'll hear you in one of our plays.

This chapter can be marked PL ok.

Though I'd like to mention a bit of advice for future recordings, concerning the volume of your audio. Some parts are very low in volume, others much higher. It's best if you try to keep the volume as close as possible the same throughout the narrative. One can convey shouting or whispering with a tone of voice, even without resorting to screaming or inaudible speaking as the case may be.

But no need to redo anything here, just maybe pay attention to the volume in future recordings. :)

Thank you

Sonia
Hi Sonia,

Thanks for the nice things you said. I tried playing with the volume when I did the sound engineering in Audacity. I am new to Audacity, and I tried playing with the Loudness normalization, but I only did that on the section where I was shouting.

Do you have any suggestions on which effects may work best in Audacity to maintain a more even volume without affecting the voice quality itself. I am working with a new microphone I bought last week, so I am still looking for any ideas on the optimal settings.

Thanks in advance if you or anyone else has ideas on those areas.

Thanks,
Paul
Paul
Jws112006

Post by Jws112006 »

I am sorry if this is wrong, as this is my first time volunteering for LibriVox.
I got my link on the uploading page and it is: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/goddess_21_marsh_128kb.mp3
The file duration is: 13:43.12
My volume is 88.9 dB
I hope that this is what you're supposed to do :)
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

smithjeanb wrote: November 30th, 2020, 2:02 pm I'll take section 24, unless you would rather have different readers. I've done a lot in this book.
No, readers are allowed to claim as many sections as they'd like! I've signed you up (and with that, we are once again full!)
Tomas Peter
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Jws112006 wrote: November 30th, 2020, 4:50 pm I am sorry if this is wrong, as this is my first time volunteering for LibriVox.
I got my link on the uploading page and it is: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/goddess_21_marsh_128kb.mp3
My volume is 88.9 dB
Thank you for the quick turnaround! Sonia, our proof listener, will take a look at your file tomorrow and let you know if any corrections need to be made. Congratulations on handing in your first file! :clap:
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: November 30th, 2020, 5:04 pm No, readers are allowed to claim as many sections as they'd like! I've signed you up (and with that, we are once again full!)
and with that we move back to Readers found.

I will try to PL everything today, but I have a bit of a backlog of older PL jobs which I want to finish before that, so please patience.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and what a finale it was ! I loved the scientific explanation of the demon here. :9: So nothing supernatural after all. An excellent narration again, Jean, and you didn't forget the final book disclaimer :thumbs: Thank you, this is PL ok as well.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

PSHarvey106 wrote: November 30th, 2020, 3:13 pmDo you have any suggestions on which effects may work best in Audacity to maintain a more even volume without affecting the voice quality itself.
I am not aware of any Audacity tool to keep the voice in range. I never needed such a tool because what I do is watch the Audacity waves while I record. That helps me control the volume of my voice. As soon as there is a spike at the beginning of a word or because I am raising my voice, I see this and I stop, go back, and re-record that sentence with a more level or low voice. With practice over many many recordings, I now am used to how I keep my voice steady and nearly in the same volume throughout.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jws112006 wrote: November 30th, 2020, 4:50 pmI am sorry if this is wrong, as this is my first time volunteering for LibriVox.
My volume is 88.9 dB
thank you, Jonathan, that was a fast turn-around. And congrats on your very first LV section :birthday: Yes you did everything correct with the uploader, the filenaming, the technical settings. Also the narration is quite good and easy to follow along, as you don't rush through the text. :thumbs:

I only found one small textual bit missing, which needs to get inserted and reuploaded. Now don't worry, you do not have to re-record the whole chapter. I mention this because we found that some new volunteers do exactly that. And this is too much work first for the reader and second for the prooflistener who has to relisten to the whole chapter again. Editing the existing file is what we recommend.

The easiest way to edit is:

1. record the missing sentence in a new Audacity window. (if you are using Audacity).
2. noise-clean and amplify this part so it sounds a bit similar to the previous recording.
3. Highlight and copy the sentence.
4. Paste the sentence in the old Audacity file with the entire text, at the time stamp that the DPL is providing for you.
5. Listen to the sentences before and after your newly inserted part and maybe you have to manually adjust the volume a little bit still so it sounds similar.
6. Re-export to mp3 and reupload here. That's it.

This is the part that needs to be inserted:

> at 8:12: (p. 235) missed line: "Miss Moore !"

if you have questions still, don't hesitate to ask :)

Thanks

Sonia
Jws112006

Post by Jws112006 »

Kitty wrote: December 1st, 2020, 6:19 am
Jws112006 wrote: November 30th, 2020, 4:50 pmI am sorry if this is wrong, as this is my first time volunteering for LibriVox.
My volume is 88.9 dB
thank you, Jonathan, that was a fast turn-around. And congrats on your very first LV section :birthday: Yes you did everything correct with the uploader, the filenaming, the technical settings. Also the narration is quite good and easy to follow along, as you don't rush through the text. :thumbs:

I only found one small textual bit missing, which needs to get inserted and reuploaded. Now don't worry, you do not have to re-record the whole chapter. I mention this because we found that some new volunteers do exactly that. And this is too much work first for the reader and second for the prooflistener who has to relisten to the whole chapter again. Editing the existing file is what we recommend.

The easiest way to edit is:

1. record the missing sentence in a new Audacity window. (if you are using Audacity).
2. noise-clean and amplify this part so it sounds a bit similar to the previous recording.
3. Highlight and copy the sentence.
4. Paste the sentence in the old Audacity file with the entire text, at the time stamp that the DPL is providing for you.
5. Listen to the sentences before and after your newly inserted part and maybe you have to manually adjust the volume a little bit still so it sounds similar.
6. Re-export to mp3 and reupload here. That's it.

This is the part that needs to be inserted:

> at 8:12: (p. 235) missed line: "Miss Moore !"

if you have questions still, don't hesitate to ask :)

Thanks

Sonia
Wow! I must have deleted that on accident! To re-upload it, do I just edit the link in my comment on this forum and paste in the new link? Or do I post a new comment?
Jws112006

Post by Jws112006 »

I will just post a new comment:
My link on the uploading page is: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/goddess_21_marsh_128kb.mp3
The file duration is: 13:44.35
My volume is 89.00 dB (PERFECT!)
Last edited by Jws112006 on December 1st, 2020, 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jws112006

Post by Jws112006 »

I have a question, I have to get the link of my recording in the archive by next Monday at 8am for a school assignment. Do you think that this will work out?
aconcilio

Post by aconcilio »

Hi! I got an OK on my 1 minute test :)! May I start recording chapter 10? Thank you!
PSHarvey106

Post by PSHarvey106 »

Kitty wrote: December 1st, 2020, 6:01 am
PSHarvey106 wrote: November 30th, 2020, 3:13 pmDo you have any suggestions on which effects may work best in Audacity to maintain a more even volume without affecting the voice quality itself.
I am not aware of any Audacity tool to keep the voice in range. I never needed such a tool because what I do is watch the Audacity waves while I record. That helps me control the volume of my voice. As soon as there is a spike at the beginning of a word or because I am raising my voice, I see this and I stop, go back, and re-record that sentence with a more level or low voice. With practice over many many recordings, I now am used to how I keep my voice steady and nearly in the same volume throughout.

Sonia
Hi Sonia,

Thank you for your information. I'm sure that as I record more I can adopt the same technique as you, to learn how to modulate my voice to keep the volume on a similar level throughout the recording. I will watch the waves to look for spikes, even on review while I am editing. Then I can record new replacement sections for those spikes. Thanks again for the assistance.
Paul
Paul
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

aconcilio wrote: December 1st, 2020, 12:47 pm Hi! I got an OK on my 1 minute test :)! May I start recording chapter 10? Thank you!
Yes, you may! I'll give you two months from now to finish. Please read the first post for the important details; meanwhile I have created your reader page here: https://librivox.org/reader/15355 If you'd like to use an alternate name other than your forum name, please let me know.

Enjoy recording your first Librivox chapter!
Tomas Peter
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Jws112006 wrote: December 1st, 2020, 9:48 am I have a question, I have to get the link of my recording in the archive by next Monday at 8am for a school assignment. Do you think that this will work out?
This will all depend on the rest of the readers who have outstanding sections. While some may hand in recordings between now and Monday, I'm going to say it's highly unlikely all of them will. Your best bet might be to record for the weekly poem, as that is guaranteed to be archived by Monday.
Tomas Peter