[COMPLETE][GROUP/MYSTERY] The Goddess by Richard Marsh - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

smithjeanb wrote: October 10th, 2020, 1:45 pmI know you told me not to redo the recording, but I played around with it so much that I had to do it again. Can you let me know if I am all set?
Hello Jean

well...Tomas already explained in detail why it is not recommended to re-record it all again. :? Especially in your case it was only a matter of re-recording one single sentence, it would have been so easy to correct and Spot PL. However, I listened to your new recording and the reading is just as nice.

There are still a few things to correct though, but please, do not re-record it all a third time. It's really crucial to learn editing from the start, otherwise it will too much time to complete one section.

Here is what you need to do:

1. the background noise is still a bit high. To noise-clean do the following step-by-step. This is something most of us do in every recording, so it will become a routine soon enough ;)

> select a small portion where you don't speak (we recommend 1 second at the end of the file, where there is only "noise")
> go to Effect - Noise Reduction
(my settings are: Noise Reduction: 12 / Sensitivity: 6 / Frequency smoothing: 0, but some people use other settings, you need to try out what works best for you)
> first select Get Noise Profile (upper box)
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Reduction
> now select OK (at the bottom)

2. The volume is higher than before, so you managed amplification, but now with noise cleaning it got under 86 again. I would recommed amplifying with +2 once more. You may have to tick the "Allow clipping" box this time. Usually this is not recommended, as it may distort the sound, but I checked with your file and there are only 2 or 3 solitary spikes after amplification, so this is not a problem.

3. There is one stumble that could get cut out:

> at 9:10: (p. 53) stumble and repeat: "I perceived that the news had reached her." I think you can cut it out easily if you enlarge the view a lot (with the magnifying+ icon). If that doesn't work, re-recording this one sentence in another Audacity window, cleaning and amplifying, then copy/pasting it in the right slot, won't be much work.

The rest was fine. :)
Also, is there where I am supposed to send my recordings? Or do I upload it somewhere else?
I am not sure what you mean ? Do you mean your file ? Well you uploaded it to the right spot. The old file gets replaced by the new file if you keep the same filename, but as Tomas already mentioned before, the old files stay on our server until the project is catalogued, so you can always get an older file retrieved if we have to. Nothing will be lost, so don't fear to mess up anything when you try to edit.

Please ask if anything is unclear.

Thank you

Sonia
llebell

Post by llebell »

I’d like chapter 18 please.
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

llebell wrote: October 13th, 2020, 4:09 am I’d like chapter 18 please.
Thank you for claiming!
Tomas Peter
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/goddess_05_marsh_128kb.mp3 The time is 11:26. I completed all of the edits. Thanks for the tips.
TonyP

Post by TonyP »

I would like to volunteer for Chapter 19 (if American accent is OK)
...TonyP (Tony Posante)
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

TonyP wrote: October 13th, 2020, 5:02 pm I would like to volunteer for Chapter 19 (if American accent is OK)
Any accent is fine! Thank you! :)
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

smithjeanb wrote: October 13th, 2020, 1:58 pmhttps://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/goddess_05_marsh_128kb.mp3 The time is 11:26. I completed all of the edits. Thanks for the tips.
:clap: excellent edit, thank you so much. And congrats now on your first official PL ok section. :birthday: Many more to come hopefully, I really enjoy your reading voice and diction. :9:

And you will see, editing gets easier and easier with practice.

I'll be hearing you in the next chapter, I see you have claimed a few more. Happy that you enjoy the book. :)

Sonia
TonyP

Post by TonyP »

Ch 19 (XIX) I Leave the Court -has been uploaded for PL review https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/godess_19_marsh_128kb.mp3 11:58
...TonyP (Tony Posante)
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thank you both!
TonyP wrote: October 14th, 2020, 8:25 am Ch 19 (XIX) I Leave the Court -has been uploaded for PL review https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/godess_19_marsh_128kb.mp3 11:58
The filename here is slightly incorrect ("goddess" is misspelled), but we'll leave it for now. If you have other PL notes to fix, you can upload the correct filename the next time. If not, our DPL can fix it for you.
Tomas Peter
TonyP

Post by TonyP »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/goddess_19_marsh_128kb.mp3 re-uploaded with correct filename, thanks
...TonyP (Tony Posante)
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

That was quick lol. Thank you!
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

TonyP wrote: October 14th, 2020, 1:08 pmhttps://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/goddess_19_marsh_128kb.mp3 re-uploaded with correct filename, thanks
thank you, Tony, this was an interesting chapter. Now missing a good many chapters in between, I don't really know how the narrator came into the witness stand :lol: but he is hellbent on making his life difficult.

Great reading and even word-perfect. :thumbs: Very enjoyable to listen to. Thank you so much !

PL ok

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

smithjeanb wrote: October 14th, 2020, 8:42 amhttps://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/goddess_12_marsh_128kb.mp3 Length is 9:35
another great reading, Jean :9: thank you so much. Aha, now I know the lady is an actress. She seems quite disturbed indeed, though I am not sure the doctor means well. :? Curious how it will go on.

2 small notes this time, easy to correct:

> at 8:36: (p. 131) "Hume came forward" – you read "Hume frowned"

> at the end we leave a standard of only 5 seconds of silence, yours exceed 11 seconds :shock: , which is too much. Could you cut 6 seconds from the ending please ?

thank you

Sonia
BenCC

Post by BenCC »

Hello all. I am new here (and to any forum, for that matter). First wanted to say that I recently became interested in Richard Marsh (from a short story and am in the process of reserving The Beetle from the library) and stumbled upon this group when researching audiobooks. Trying to determine if I'm equipped to record. With very basic tech knowledge, I have the following questions:

1) The microphone I've used in conjunction with my computer is built into my computer (used for Skype calls). Is this sufficient?
2) If not sufficient, another microphone I have is a Zoom Handy Recorder H4 (that I've recorded my piano performances on). Would this work?
3) If required to use my Zoom H4, should it be formatted to MP3, 44.1 KHz sample rate, 128 Kbps bit rate? Would it be better to use Low or Medium Mic Gain?
4) If required to use my Zoom H4, I've only ever recorded into the device's memory. Would I then be able to upload it to editing software (I see that you recommend Audacity)? Or is there a way to set up my Zoom H4 to the computer so that it automatically records into Audacity?
5) I've noticed that my computer occasionally makes a noise as if it's processing. I figured it would be good to download the text in case the noise is due to the Internet connection. Which download option is recommended (PDF, Full Text...), and would it allow me to "turn the page" soundlessly by pressing the right arrow of my keyboard?
6) Is it acceptable to listen to a PL-ok chapter of an in-process work I'm contributing to simply to hear the treatment taken by other readers, thereby allowing my interpretation to fit in better?

Ideally, I'd like to use my computer's microphone, as I use it for important Skype calls and don't want to mess anything up. Are readers able to get an acceptable quality from the computer's built-in microphone, or do they need to set up a separate microphone?

Thanks,
Ben