COMPLETE The Crossing by Winston Churchill-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BobR

Post by BobR »

The Crossing by Winston Churchill.

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-crossing-by-winston-churchill/

This is an historical fiction novel. Many real characters of history are included, as well as fictitious ones. The saga takes place in the period slightly before the American Revolution, and extends for some years after that war. It covers the first movement of southern colonists, over the mountains, into Kentucky, then into the lands that would become Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. The battles to take these lands from the British make up much of the drama. The characters also move into New Orleans to face off with the French. This was a major best selling novel when released. The writer, Winston Churchill, was a most prominent American novelist of the time. The Prime Minister of England, Winston S. Churchill, was his contemporary, but no family relation. Summary by Bob Rollins
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/388
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Book [number] Chapter [number] of The Crossing. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Crossing, by Winston Churchill. Book [number] [Read Book Title for first Chapter in each book] Chapter [number, chapter title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Book [number] [Read Book Title for first Chapter in each book] Chapter [number, chapter title] of The Crossing by Winston Churchill. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Crossing, by Winston Churchill. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename crossing_##_churchill_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. crossing_01_churchill_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Leaving a cookie crumb.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great Dave. Once Bob checks in we will move to "going solo".
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

BobR wrote:Yes. Dave is correct.
One more question: The book is divided into three "books"---so it is Book 1, Chapter 1, etc. I assume the titles should then read "thecrossing_b1_01_churchill_128kb.mp3". If that correct?
Bob,

I've filled in the first few section titles to show how I would handle the "book, chapter" format. I've also changed the language for the intro to show what I would do.

I have done projects with this structure before. I think it is a lot to read the title of the "book" everytime one reads a chapter, so I only give the book title for the first chapter that I read from that book. After that, I say "Book 1, Chapter 2, [chapter title]" until I get to the start of Book 2, when I say the book name again.

As for file names, don't worry about the book/chapter stuff. Just name your files based on the section number in the MW. So,
crossing_01_churchill_128kb
crossing_02_churchill_128kb
crossing_03_churchill_128kb

MaryAnn
BobR

Post by BobR »

But this would then mean we would have the same title for the second "book"---thecrossing_01_Churchill_128kb.mp3." Isn't that a problem?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

No, I think it works Bob. I've added a few chapter titles in the MW to show how.

For Book 2 Chapter 1, the file name is "crossing_21_churchill_128kb.mp3"
For Book 3 Chapter 1, the file name is "crossing_37_churchill_128kb.mp3"

Key thing is to make the file name match the SECTION number in the MW, not the CHAPTER number in the book.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Moving to going solo to keep the launch pad tidy.
MaryAnn
BobR

Post by BobR »

Book 01, Chap 01 of "The crossing" has been uploaded.
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/thecrossing_01_churchill_128kb.mp3
12:50.46
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

1 PL OK.
BobR

Post by BobR »

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

2 PL OK.
BobR

Post by BobR »

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

3 PL OK.
BobR

Post by BobR »

Book 01, Chapter 04 has been uploaded.
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspi ... 128kb_.mp3
27:28.07
I had forgotten that these first several chapters were so racist.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

4 PL OK.

Some readers choose to include a disclaimer in the book description to warn potential listeners. For example,
"This book contains racial and other prejudices that were once commonplace. They are retained, as originally written in this recording, because to do otherwise would be to deny they existed."