(Complete) Building a State in Apache Land by Charles Poston - m8b1

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TonyP

Post by TonyP »

Building a State in Apache Land by Charles Poston (1825 - 1902).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/building-a-state-in-apache-land-by-charles-poston/
Building a State in Apache Land by Charles Debrille Poston is a compilation of articles published in 1894 in the Overland Monthly magazine. Charles D. Poston gives a colorful account of the history of what would become the Arizona Territory as well and his role in such. His adventures and accomplishments in the lands ceded from Mexico to the USA in the mid 19th Century are recounted and constitute a interesting take of how the groundwork was laid for Arizona to become a unique American entity of many peoples. ( Tony Posante)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11226
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Building a State in Apache Land. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Building a State in Apache Land, by Charles Poston. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Building a State in Apache Land by Charles Poston. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Building a State in Apache Land, by Charles Poston. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename apacheland_##_poston_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. apacheland_01_poston_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: m8b1
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
...TonyP (Tony Posante)
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Tony,

I will MC this for you. (I moved the other post off this topic, to keep the thread tidy. :-))

I see you have done a solo before, but it has been quite a few years. :-) Things have changed a bit with the MW since then.
Here is a link to the instructions on how to setup your login for the Magic Window, and how to use it: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

As the soloist, you will be responsible for entering the section titles (I already did the first for you), adding the links and time, and marking the files ready for PL. Don't worry, it is easy to do, and you can't break anything!

If you have any questions or problems, please let me know.

We will stay here for a bit to see if we can snag a DPL! :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
TonyP

Post by TonyP »

Awesome! I enjoyed seeing the other (now deleted) poster eager to do a project, but I didn't want to jump in the conversation. And, yes, it has been some time since I recorded so I likely will have some questions as well...
...TonyP (Tony Posante)
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Looks like you got into the MW without any problems. I obviously didn't look far enough into the text to see there were actually titles for the sections. :D

Just a suggestion - since it has been so long, you might want to do a quick test to make sure your technical settings are correct. If you are comfortable that you have everything okay, feel free to ignore! :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'd enjoy DPLing, if you'll have me.
TonyP

Post by TonyP »

Why yes in diggy-dog-diddy I would appreciate the PL Kevin!
...TonyP (Tony Posante)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TonyP wrote: October 12th, 2019, 8:33 am Why yes in diggy-dog-diddy I would appreciate the PL Kevin!
Hahah! Let's roll!

By the way, I'm not well versed in hip hop terminology. (Wink.)
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Kevin added as DPL, and moving on over to Going Solo!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
TonyP

Post by TonyP »

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/apacheland_01_poston_128kb.mp3 I have uploaded (I think!) Section1, 22:53. It passed in "Checker' but needs some of them hu-man ears on it
...TonyP (Tony Posante)
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Tony,

I took a quick look. Yes, the tech specs are correct. However, there is some background noise, mostly in the first minute or so.

I am guessing you might have already done some noise reduction? If you get some silence in between words in the beginning, you can catch the noise for some cleanup. That probably doesn't make sense written down. :-) But since most of the silence in the recording doesn't have the noise, you need to track some down. :lol:

I experimented and was able to get it sounding better. It sounds to me as thought perhaps it is a fan on a computer, or an appliance coming on and off? Just a guess, as it isn't persistent throughout.

Edit: Don't forget to put the running time in the MW under the "Notes" column.
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
TonyP

Post by TonyP »

Great advice! I will look at re-recording the intro and de-amplifying the noise gaps hopefully I won't do much damage (gonna back it up) and that could improve the sound greatly
...TonyP (Tony Posante)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TonyP wrote: October 12th, 2019, 12:32 pm Great advice! I will look at re-recording the intro and de-amplifying the noise gaps hopefully I won't do much damage (gonna back it up) and that could improve the sound greatly
Tony, rather than re-record anything, let's try to clean it up first. I've already done so and the sound is not bad.

More to come.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

If you've saved your first upload, then I would like to upload my cleaned version so that you can hear it and say what you think. I'm anxious to find out why you have so much fuzz in your recording so that you won't have to worry about your setup in future. Are you by chance using a voice-activated mic?
TonyP

Post by TonyP »

Hey Kevin I am using an inexpensive (Wally World) USB mic i bought because the sound from my 35mm plug mic was so bad. I am using a old Dell laptop where the fan is not too loud. I tried to record when my Air Conditioning was not on, but that is difficult in Phoenix. Maybe need to switch to a quieter room for the next chapter! Didn't want to have you forced in doing post-production stuff but if you have a better version upload away!
...TonyP (Tony Posante)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TonyP wrote: October 12th, 2019, 1:59 pm Hey Kevin I am using an inexpensive (Wally World) USB mic i bought because the sound from my 35mm plug mic was so bad. I am using a old Dell laptop where the fan is not too loud. I tried to record when my Air Conditioning was not on, but that is difficult in Phoenix. Maybe need to switch to a quieter room for the next chapter! Didn't want to have you forced in doing post-production stuff but if you have a better version upload away!
Please have a listen to the version I have uploaded to the MW. (I have not checked it for content but only sound. I might add, too, that you have more than one second of silence at the opening which will have to be shortened.)

Your voice sounds a bit hollow here, but I think it's acceptable. It's the cleaning that makes it that way, but subsequent recordings if done farther from the AC might not require so much cleaning.

Gotta say, I'm looking forward to hearing about the West. Farthest west I ever got was Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas (and not in the prison!)
Last edited by KevinS on October 12th, 2019, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.