COMPLETE Favorite Fairy Tales by Logan Marshall-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ewsmith

Post by ewsmith »

Favorite Fairy Tales by Logan Marshall (1884 - ?).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/favorite-fairy-tales-by-logan-marshall/

This is a collection of the fairy tales that children love best, told in simple language and lavishly illustrated. They are written by various authors, a selection of the best and most popular fairy stories, culled from many sources and here collected and presented in most attractive form, printed in large clear type, with many pictures, some of them colored. (Summary from the book)
Read along and view the illustrations at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20748
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20748
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Favorite Fairy Tales. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Favorite Fairy Tales, by Logan Marshall. Chapter [number, title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Favorite Fairy Tales by Logan Marshall. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Favorite Fairy Tales, by Logan Marshall. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename favoritefairytales_##_marshall_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. favoritefairytales_01_marshall_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by ewsmith on December 7th, 2017, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Evan,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get this set up and come back with some more instructions.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, Your MW is set up.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!)

For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files. You'll need to start by entering section (or chapter) titles. I've put in the first couple to get you started.

Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together. There is a bit of a learning curve when you do your first solo. You've picked a nice size book - not too long and something that you are interested in, so it should be a manageable and enjoyable process for you.

MaryAnn
ewsmith

Post by ewsmith »

Wow, that was quick. Thanks for the help and the words of encouragement.

Evan
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

:D I love Fairy Tales.

May I DPL?
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Helen. Great to have you on the team. Evan is a great new reader, so you are in for a treat!
MaryAnn
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

My pleasure. :clap:
Helen

ewsmith

Post by ewsmith »

OK. My first attempt at submitting a chapter. I started with a short one - Chapter 8, The Little Match Girl.
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/favoritefairytales_08_marshall_128kb.mp3
duration: 6:09

If I understand correctly I am supposed to add the link and status information into the magic window, which I have done. I have also added the author’s name and the link to the source material in the metadata. I wasn’t sure whether to leave the language blank or change it to “English”. I selected “English”.

After uploading the file and copying and pasting the link into the magic window, I lost the link and so I uploaded the file again, just to get the link for this post. Hopefully that didn’t mess things up.

Please let me know if I need to correct anything. Thanks.
ewsmith

Post by ewsmith »

I meant to include a question about the metadata. I added the information into the metadata column in the magic window. Was I also supposed to add that information when saving the file (i.e. when the metadata window pops up when exporting the audio to mp3)? I left everything blank on that screen.

Thanks,
Evan
ewsmith

Post by ewsmith »

And I now realize that all I had to do was right-click on the "listen" link in the magic window to get a copy of the link, rather than upload the file a second time. Lots to learn.

Evan
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

sect 8 The Little Match Girl

PL OK

I felt her anguish.

Great Job. :clap:
Helen

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Evan,

Please put the duration of the file (mm:ss) in the "notes" column on the MW. Helps the DPL plan listening time to know how long the sections are, and it allows me to check that the entire file made it through the cataloging process (and didn't get cut off - that's a rare thing, but we like having the check in place all the same).

Don't worry about the metadata when you export to the MP3 - that is automatically added during cataloging.

Otherwise, you're good!

MaryAnn
ewsmith

Post by ewsmith »

I have uploaded Chapter 4, The Sleeping Beauty
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/favoritefairytales_04_marshall_128kb.mp3
Duration 07:49

Evan
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

sect 4 The Sleeping Beauty

PL OK :thumbs:
Helen

ewsmith

Post by ewsmith »

I have uploaded Chapter 1, Little Snow-White
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/favoritefairytales_01_marshall_128kb.mp3
Duration 17:01

Evan