[COMPLETE][Solo] The Seen and the Unseen, by Richard Marsh - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

The Seen and the Unseen by Richard Marsh (1857 - 1915).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/the-seen-and-the-unseen-by-richard-marsh/
Is it true that people can literally be scared to death ? Is it possible to photograph astral projections ? What happens if you play with a pack of cards which belonged to a dead card-trickster ?

These and more questions are raised and answered in <i>The Seen and the Unseen</i> (first published in 1900), a collection of twelve short stories of a supernatural and uncanny nature by English author Richard Marsh (1857-1915), famous for such mystery/horror novels as <i>The Beetle</i> and <i>The Goddess: A Demon</i>.

So if you feel you are ready for some goosebumps before bedtime, snuggle up and have a listen. (Sonia)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/seenandunseen00marsgoog
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): special

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Richard Marsh) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Marsh_(author)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 28
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1900
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Horror & Supernatural Fiction; Short Stories/Single Author Collections; Crime & Mystery Fiction/Detective Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: horror, Mystery, short stories, Crime, suspense, murder, ghosts, supernatural, uncanny

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Section [number] of The Seen and the Unseen. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "The Seen and the Unseen, by Richard Marsh. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Section [number] of The Seen and the Unseen by Richard Marsh. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Section]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Seen and the Unseen, by Richard Marsh. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

[*]Example filename seenandunseen_##_marsh_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. seenandunseen_01_marsh_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Richard Marsh
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: The Seen and the Unseen

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Kitty
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, this will be my very first try as MC. I discussed this with Todd and he assured me it would be ok to be my own MC for a Solo. So I will try to get a Magic Window all on my own. Let's hope I don't mess this up :oops:

If this works, I can finally be an adequately qualified addition to the Admin group and help out with other projects.

Linny already accepted the DPL job. Thanks Linny ! :9:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hurray ! It seems to have worked. I hope I have done everything correctly, but the MW is there. *whoops*

Sonia
linny

Post by linny »

:lol:

DPL checking in.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Linny :)

so it seems to have worked and I managed to move the project to Going Solo. One other hurdle taken. Now I only need to read it. :lol: But this will take a bit of time.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

So Linny, I was working two evenings on this first section. Taking it slowly, only reading short 10 minute sessions and then having a break. It worked quite well that way, and I'm pleased with the result.

It was so strange uploading to my OWN Admin folder for the first time :shock: Have to get used to this.

I hope you enjoy the first story, I think it is one of the darkest of this collection. Marsh really starts with a bang. I loved the ending, reminded me of The Picture of Dorian Gray, you will see what I mean when you get there.

Enjoy ! And there's no hurry. This does not have to be your priority, you know we agreed to take this one slowly.

And like with the Auriol project, please point out any pronunciation quirks you may hear and deviations from the text. If they're insignificant, I may leave them in, but at least I want to know.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/seenandunseen_01_marsh_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 32:34 min.

And don't expect the next section too soon LOL

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

All right, I had a bit of unexpected free recording time tonight, so I jumped on the occasion to finish the second section. This is the beginning of The Photographs, one of my favourite stories in this collection :9: I am quite happy with the voices I gave the different characters. Well, I hope you enjoy :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/seenandunseen_02_marsh_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 14:18 min.

Much shorter than the previous section. I much prefer this length. I managed to read it all in one go. Unfortunately, many sections will be longer.

Sonia
linny

Post by linny »

Hello Sonia,
Thank you for your patience. I wanted to PL when I had some relaxed time and could follow along with the text. That’s been a little rare this week.

Section 1
11:03 p7 - I have always been a great admirer of your great-uncle’s works. Perhaps I had better put this poster away. It may be useful for future reference.”
I hear further. I think the word change works but I’ll leave that decision up to you.

26:13 p15 - Again! It loses patience. It grows angry. It bids you hasten. Ah!
The t in hasten is silent. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hasten

I couldn't tell at all where you split the recording sessions. Great work! :9:
linny

Post by linny »

Hello Sonia,
I enjoy our work together. I always learn something.

I looked up bona fide because I have never heard the final e pronounced. Seems it is an bona fide alternate pronunciation. :lol:
bo·na fide \ ˈbō-nə-ˌfīd , ˈbä- ; ˌbō-nə-ˈfī-dē , -ˈfī-də \

Section 2 is PL OK! :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

linny wrote:Thank you for your patience. I wanted to PL when I had some relaxed time and could follow along with the text. That’s been a little rare this week.
don't worry about it. We agreed from the start, we need not rush through this. :)
I hear further. I think the word change works but I’ll leave that decision up to you.
:? I think I might even have read further, probably my eyes were skipping a bit too fast over the text. I agree, it's not much of a change, but I think I'll correct it anyway. :)
The t in hasten is silent.
there's something new learnt ! thanks :9: I could have sworn I heard it with a 't' already.
I couldn't tell at all where you split the recording sessions. Great work! :9:
thanks :D and thank you as always for the careful listening and the helpful notes.

So, the story was not too gruesome for you ? I found it a bit hard to swallow. Luckily the next stories are not as evil.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

oh we crossposted !
linny wrote:I enjoy our work together. I always learn something.
yeah me too LOL
I looked up bona fide because I have never heard the final e pronounced. Seems it is an bona fide alternate pronunciation. :lol:
bo·na fide \ ˈbō-nə-ˌfīd , ˈbä- ; ˌbō-nə-ˈfī-dē , -ˈfī-də \
LOL I looked up this word especially because on my gut feeling I wanted to pronounce it the latin way, so the 'i' not like "eye" but "ee". Then I checked, just so you wouldn't have to correct me :mrgreen: and changed my initial reading. And now you're telling me you would have said it the same way than me LOL. Maybe I should have said it the Latin way :hmm:

Thanks for your feedback !!!

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

oho I see you left a page note in the MW for reference. I do that as well when I PL :mrgreen: I am not using the PDF but the archive scan, but it should be the same text.

Sonia
linny

Post by linny »

oops, actually I'm not using the pdf but the scan. It always seems like a pdf because the page numbers never match the numbers from the ToC. If you accidentally overwrite them when you post your time don't worry and go back to fill it in again. It's not an issue to find the text but rather provides a short cut.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

the page numbers is a good idea, I filled them all in just now :) although I have a tendency to go on the real book pages, and I see you started filling out the "archive" pages. So I went along with your way of numbering.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

linny wrote:Section 1
11:03 p7 - It may be useful for future reference.
26:13 p15 - It bids you hasten.
Linny, I corrected only those two sentences for Spot PL. :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/seenandunseen_01_marsh_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 32:35 min.

Sonia