LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

andrelevy wrote: August 13th, 2018, 3:06 pm Uploaded chapter 8. Length: 21:27

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/prisonerofthemill_8_hazelton_128kb.mp3
That was quick! Thank you.
nickbulka

Post by nickbulka »

Chapter 8:
The file name does not follow the standard.
it should be prisonerofthemill_08_hazelton_128kb.mp3 (you left out the zero)

other than that, a very good first recording.
-nick
-------------------------------
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

nickbulka wrote: August 15th, 2018, 7:08 pm Chapter 8:

Don't worry about it for this recording. I can fix it at cataloguing; but please watch that in future. The correct format is always in the first post.
nickbulka

Post by nickbulka »

in that case, chapter 8 is PLOK
-nick
andrelevy

Post by andrelevy »

nickbulka wrote: August 15th, 2018, 7:08 pm Chapter 8:

Ups. Missed that.
Thanks.
Cheers
André
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

We have an orphan!
marksamet

Post by marksamet »

Hello!

I would like to claim chapter 11 for Prisoner Of the Mill. This is my first recording.

Mark Samet
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

marksamet wrote: August 29th, 2018, 12:58 pm Hello!

I would like to claim chapter 11 for Prisoner Of the Mill. This is my first recording.

Mark Samet

Hi and welcome to Librivox!
There are a few things to do before you get started.
You will need to complete a one minute test - this is to check your specs are up to Librivox standards, and if not, you'll be given hints on how to remedy that. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test
Please post your test in the Listeners Wanted forum (see the dropdown at the bottom of the page) for the speediest response. Waiting for the OK may seem tedious, but can save time in the long run.
You will also need to be added to the catalog of readers. I will add you using your forum name, but if you prefer your real name or a pseudonym let me know. We can also link to a personal blog or website. If you click on your name in the Magic Window, you will see your own personal catalog page.
Be sure to read the first post - all the info you need is there, but if anything doesn't make sense, just ask. The wiki (see the top of the page) has bundles of info too.
Lynne
marksamet

Post by marksamet »

Hi Lynnet,

I posted my test in the forum. Will let you know when I get feedback. Thanks!
marksamet

Post by marksamet »

Hi again!

Looks like I got the go ahead. Received this message from Foon:

"Great! Everything is in order now and all your settings are set up for LibriVox! :thumbs:

An admin will eventually stop by to mark this OK, but feel free to go prowl the Readers Wanted forums for a fun project to participate in.

Welcome aboard! :clap:"
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

marksamet wrote: August 31st, 2018, 1:25 pm Hi again!

Looks like I got the go ahead. Received this message from Foon:

"Great! Everything is in order now and all your settings are set up for LibriVox! :thumbs:

An admin will eventually stop by to mark this OK, but feel free to go prowl the Readers Wanted forums for a fun project to participate in.

Welcome aboard! :clap:"
OK, go ahead. I can mark your test OK.
marksamet

Post by marksamet »

Hello again Lynett

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/prisonerofthemill_11_hazelton_128kb.mp3

Here is my finished chapter. I tried to compress it and amplify it. I failed the "checker" program, however it looks pretty good/loud in the waveform. Not sure how I can make it any louder without clipping the peaks. Anyway, let me know what you think!

Also, if you can post this with the pseudonym "Mark Dakota" please. Thanks!!!

Mark
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

marksamet wrote: September 7th, 2018, 12:56 am Hello again Lynett

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/prisonerofthemill_11_hazelton_128kb.mp3

Here is my finished chapter. I tried to compress it and amplify it. I failed the "checker" program, however it looks pretty good/loud in the waveform. Not sure how I can make it any louder without clipping the peaks. Anyway, let me know what you think!

Also, if you can post this with the pseudonym "Mark Dakota" please. Thanks!!!

Mark
Hi Mark. Thank you for the file. In future, please give the time of the file in mm:ss -- this is part of our validation process and also signals to the proof listener how long to set aside for checking it. Don't worry here as I was able to do it.
I have edited your catalog entry.
I also played around a bit with your file -- I hope you don't mind. You were so close on meeting the standard for volume... just .1 off! I tried two different effects and both gave the same overall result of 88.6dB. First, I ran the compressor a second time. In my experience, you can usually use it three times before it either has no effect, or "normal" people (i.e. the average listener, not those with highly tuned hearing) hear distortion. After undoing that (in other words, going back to your version), I tried the Leveler effect. It's in the same place as the Compressor in Audacity and is the method I usually use to even out my files.

Both methods showed a volume of 88.6dB but high background noise. I removed that and we are left with 88.1dB... perfectly acceptable. I have uploaded the new file, so if there are no edits, it should be good to go. If there are edits, you can either follow the steps above on your file, or download my version, but remember there will be some deterioration after each download/re-upload (but I don't think those same "normal" people will notice).

If you have questions, please ask.
Lynne
marksamet

Post by marksamet »

This is great! Thanks so much for the help and explanations Lynette. Definitely going to have some better raw levels on my next run! Going to checkout your version now :)
nickbulka

Post by nickbulka »

Lynne,

which file am I PLing here? Is the link in the MW to the original or the version you modified?

in any case, I'm away on vacation so it'll probably be the weekend before I get to it.
-nick