COMPLETE [poetry] The Dark Ages by L. -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
StephenChristie
Posts: 13
Joined: October 16th, 2017, 12:20 pm

Post by StephenChristie » October 16th, 2017, 7:59 pm

-I would like to start working on the last 7: 49-55. This is my first project!

Edit: Here's the first Four for tonight. Give me any critique, and I'll happily re-record them.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_49_l_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_50_l_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_51_l_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_52_l_128kb.mp3

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 42335
Joined: May 26th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: the Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Carolin » October 17th, 2017, 2:01 am

thank you all!
Carolin

Please help us finish The Theory and Practice of Brewing and learn about beer!

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 42335
Joined: May 26th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: the Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Carolin » October 17th, 2017, 2:03 am

StephenChristie wrote:-I would like to start working on the last 7: 49-55. This is my first project!

Edit: Here's the first Four for tonight. Give me any critique, and I'll happily re-record them.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_49_l_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_50_l_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_51_l_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_52_l_128kb.mp3
hi stephen, welcome to librivox!

you are welcome to read those poems, but youve skipped a couple of steps here :) i see you have posted the one minute test and i checked that your technical settings are all in order, thats good. i couldnt listen though so i cant tell you anything about the sound itself. so it would be great if you could wait for feedback on your test before continuing here, just to be sure.

i have signed you up with your forum name, your personal catalog page is here: https://librivox.org/reader/12023

one last thing, when you post a file, please remember to also post the duration of each recording so that we can fill in the magic window. thank you!
Carolin

Please help us finish The Theory and Practice of Brewing and learn about beer!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 17275
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » October 17th, 2017, 8:08 am

another couple from me:

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_11_l_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:19 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_12_l_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:34 min.

Sonia

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 42335
Joined: May 26th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: the Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Carolin » October 17th, 2017, 8:44 am

thank you :)
Carolin

Please help us finish The Theory and Practice of Brewing and learn about beer!

StephenChristie
Posts: 13
Joined: October 16th, 2017, 12:20 pm

Post by StephenChristie » October 17th, 2017, 9:01 am

Carolin wrote:
StephenChristie wrote:-I would like to start working on the last 7: 49-55. This is my first project!

Edit: Here's the first Four for tonight. Give me any critique, and I'll happily re-record them.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_49_l_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_50_l_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_51_l_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_52_l_128kb.mp3
hi stephen, welcome to librivox!

you are welcome to read those poems, but youve skipped a couple of steps here :) i see you have posted the one minute test and i checked that your technical settings are all in order, thats good. i couldnt listen though so i cant tell you anything about the sound itself. so it would be great if you could wait for feedback on your test before continuing here, just to be sure.

i have signed you up with your forum name, your personal catalog page is here: https://librivox.org/reader/12023

one last thing, when you post a file, please remember to also post the duration of each recording so that we can fill in the magic window. thank you!
Sorry about that, I didn't want to waste the time while waiting for the feedback. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording#Preliminary_Test made it sound like poems were a good way to work out kinks and the 1 minute test was just an optional way to get help starting up. My setup will probably change pretty often, so I figure I'll have to check myself in the future anyway.

Here are the times:

Code: Select all

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_49_l_128kb.mp3 1:16
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_50_l_128kb.mp3 1:33
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_51_l_128kb.mp3 1:28
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_52_l_128kb.mp3 0:45

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 42335
Joined: May 26th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: the Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Carolin » October 17th, 2017, 10:31 am

thank you :)
Carolin

Please help us finish The Theory and Practice of Brewing and learn about beer!

JorWat
Posts: 1184
Joined: February 16th, 2009, 10:20 am
Location: Oxfordshire, England

Post by JorWat » October 17th, 2017, 12:21 pm

Kitty wrote:another couple from me:

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_11_l_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:19 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_12_l_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:34 min.

Sonia
Hi Sonia,

All are PL OK. And if you're wondering, Tír na nÓg means 'Land of the Young' and is some sort of heaven in Irish Mythology.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 17275
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » October 17th, 2017, 12:32 pm

JorWat wrote:And if you're wondering, Tír na nÓg means 'Land of the Young' and is some sort of heaven in Irish Mythology.
thank you, but I actually knew that :D that's why I also knew the pronunciation, we had it in our Gaelic language course at university. It was fitting with the poem, since the last line mentions the land of the young

Sonia

JorWat
Posts: 1184
Joined: February 16th, 2009, 10:20 am
Location: Oxfordshire, England

Post by JorWat » October 17th, 2017, 12:34 pm

StephenChristie wrote:-I would like to start working on the last 7: 49-55. This is my first project!

Edit: Here's the first Four for tonight. Give me any critique, and I'll happily re-record them.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_49_l_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_50_l_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_51_l_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_52_l_128kb.mp3
Hi Stephen,

Firstly, they're a little quiet. You should be aiming for 89 dB, and you're averaging 86. 49 and 51 are within a reasonable limit, so there's no need to change them, but 50 and 52 are too quiet. Amplify them by 3dB and they should be good.

Also:

50:

1:02: 'Losing' should be 'Loosing'

52:

You're missing the intro section.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.

StephenChristie
Posts: 13
Joined: October 16th, 2017, 12:20 pm

Post by StephenChristie » October 17th, 2017, 1:35 pm

JorWat wrote:
StephenChristie wrote:-I would like to start working on the last 7: 49-55. This is my first project!

Edit: Here's the first Four for tonight. Give me any critique, and I'll happily re-record them.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_49_l_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_50_l_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_51_l_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_52_l_128kb.mp3
Hi Stephen,

Firstly, they're a little quiet. You should be aiming for 89 dB, and you're averaging 86. 49 and 51 are within a reasonable limit, so there's no need to change them, but 50 and 52 are too quiet. Amplify them by 3dB and they should be good.

Also:

50:

1:02: 'Losing' should be 'Loosing'

52:

You're missing the intro section.
Sorry about that, I guess I am still green :oops: . I didn't think to check each file (past the original test) until after I'd uploaded them :( I went ahead and re-recorded #50, and just added the intro and amplified #52.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_50_l_128kb.mp3 1:22
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_52_l_128kb.mp3 0:51

I also finished my set. What do you think?

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_53_l_128kb.mp3 1:26
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_54_l_128kb.mp3 1:42
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_55_l_128kb.mp3 0:39

Thank you for bearing with me.

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 42335
Joined: May 26th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: the Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Carolin » October 17th, 2017, 10:43 pm

Thank you all!

Stephen, well done! I hope we will hear more from you either in this project or in another :)
Carolin

Please help us finish The Theory and Practice of Brewing and learn about beer!

JorWat
Posts: 1184
Joined: February 16th, 2009, 10:20 am
Location: Oxfordshire, England

Post by JorWat » October 18th, 2017, 11:04 am

StephenChristie wrote:Sorry about that, I guess I am still green :oops: . I didn't think to check each file (past the original test) until after I'd uploaded them :( I went ahead and re-recorded #50, and just added the intro and amplified #52.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_50_l_128kb.mp3 1:22
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_52_l_128kb.mp3 0:51

I also finished my set. What do you think?

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_53_l_128kb.mp3 1:26
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_54_l_128kb.mp3 1:42
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_55_l_128kb.mp3 0:39

Thank you for bearing with me.
Hi Stephen,

The updated files are now PL OK, and 54 and 55 both are too.

As for 53:

0:12: I'm hearing 'Unsustained' instead of 'Unstained'.
1:22: The ending silence is too short. You should be aiming for 5 seconds, and you've got about 3.2.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 17275
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » October 18th, 2017, 1:28 pm

and two more :) enjoy

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_14_l_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:19 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/darkages_16_l_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:08 min.

I listened to this Gaelic song this poem was based on, really beautiful song :9:

Sonia

NemoR
Posts: 2168
Joined: February 27th, 2017, 1:48 pm
Location: The Present

Post by NemoR » October 18th, 2017, 7:18 pm

May I additionally claim the following please:

17 Near Haarlem
28 The Gardens of the Soul

Thanks!

Nemo
Nemo

"I find I cannot exist without Poetry—without eternal Poetry—half the day will not do—the whole of it—I began with a little, but habit has made me a Leviathan."

Post Reply