LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Ann

Audio, video, disco!
RepublicOfVermont
Location: δtsopiaV0175 (ψ-accessible only), μultiverse ΚΣΔ π^-.9

Post by RepublicOfVermont »

ScottKelley wrote:With permission, I'll take "Werewolf."
Welcome, Scott. I'll disregard your being a flatlander. At least you're a New Englander... ;) :lol:
WHITE PHOSPHORUS was dropped on Palestine tonight.
RepublicOfVermont

mbm0rxi wrote:chapter 13 with an adjustment-thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/darkother_13_weinbaum_128kb.mp3
Most Welcome, Mary! Thank-you!
I would like to add that your conveyance of each individual character's emotionally fluctuating states of being as well as the the story's aesthetics (in the "message within" sense of the term) is sublime.
I believe it clear to any here who've read the story in its entiry just what Weinbaum's intent in his writing of "The Dark Other" was/is. If not, and for any who've not read this work or believe it to be simply one of those odd bits of the genre «Early 20th Century American Fictitional Horror», allow me to show you just what Weinbaum was able to pass into the 'collective unconsciousness' belonging to generations of fans of 'Fictitious Horror'. First of all, it should be stated that for Weinbaum to "get his story out", as it were, it was an absolute necessity that he do so disguised as fiction. Doing otherwise would have been an utter failure, especially during that time period and the (un)culture engulfing that period. "The Dark Other" is, plainly stated, a tearing off society's facade in a revelation of what was and what continues to be, albeit more openly discussed, the brutalities of "domestic" abuse. I use quotes here as I strongly dislike the qualifier 'domestic', as I do any qualifier used as a means of separating abuse into categories "more socially acceptable", which 'domestic' does so disgustingly all too well, no matter a person's intent in its use to describe the ever-present horrors of a violence that is in no way domestic (though it is certainly a byproduct of domesticity). Labeling abuse in any way results only in lessening it in the eyes of this and/or that sub/section of any society, thereby slowing or even prohibiting its end, just as the labeling of sub/sections of society serves to separate and lessen said persons both in the eyes of others as well as in the minds of the persons themsevles. Many who live the ever-pressnt horrors of "domestic" abuse do, as well, see themselves as 'lesser-than', as deserving of the violence inflicticted upon them. This self-worthlessness is nothing not already known by anyone here. I state it to show just how intimate Stanley Weinbaum had to have been in order to fully grasp the impact of the horrors of which he so clearly writes. No one can express themselves with such profundity without experience. In Mr. Weinbaum's case, he was most definitely witness to all he wrote in "The Dark Other" during his (lack of)childhood. Torturous psychic scars do manifest themselves within the works of authors and within the works of artists en masse. It's my hope that the works of these artists are able to be seen and understood for what they are, not just for what they appear to be.

- Don
RepublicOfVermont

Chapters 14 & 15 PLOKD :)
RepublicOfVermont

5Tommy00 wrote:https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/darkother_11_weinbaum.mp3
9.18 KB
5Tommy00
Ch. 11 is complete
Tommy,

~2:13-2:15 "reassembled" is repeated twice, though it's said only once within the writing itself.

@ ~2:46 I hear "We just started out going dancing,". Then I hear "We just started out to go dancing," but with repetitions of words in the sentence itself. "We just started out to go dancing," is what's said in the story.

@ ~ I hear a repetition of "someone" in "He said someone was following us" soon after the above sentence.

@ ~ I hear "sob" as in "sobbing" before hearing "soberly", which is what's said in the text.

@ ~ I hear "He's a plains" before hearing "plain-clothes man".

There are more like the above throughout the chapter. I thought it would be easier to just record it a second time, than to go to every point in this recording to edit it all. I was not saying anything other than that. Please do not interpret any other meaning out of what I'd said. It's up to you. If you feel you can go through and edit each specific part that needs to be edited, go for it. Then I'll listen to it again.

Thanks,
Don
mbm0rxi

Post by mbm0rxi »

I'll take chapters 24 & 25 pls....
5Tommy00

Post by 5Tommy00 »

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

mbm0rxi wrote:I'll take chapters 24 & 25 pls....

Chapters 24 and 25 are yours, thank you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Chapter 11
Recorded by 5Tommy00

Thank you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
RepublicOfVermont

Chapter 11
Recorded by 5Tommy00
Thank-you. I'll listen to within the next 3-4hrs.
blafferty

Post by blafferty »

I'd like to tackle Section 26, "The Depths."
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

blafferty wrote:I'd like to tackle Section 26, "The Depths."

Chapter 26 is yours, thank you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
mbm0rxi

Post by mbm0rxi »

chapter 24 10:36

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/darkother_24_weinbaum_128kb.mp3

chapter 25 9:32

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/darkother_25_weinbaum_128kb.mp3

Thanks for the lovely compliment- always nice to get feedback!