COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 53 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

msfry wrote:Sue, I would like to record Robert Ingersoll's A Thanksgiving Sermon, hopefully for inclusion in this Thanksgiving volume. It is about 70 minutes, so I'll do it in 2 parts. I have already recorded this for LV in Robert Ingersoll, Vol 4, but it was with my old microphone and sounds like my nose is pinched with a chip clip. Hurts to listen to it. Furthermore it can't be found by title there as it was included as part of a book even though Ingersoll's lectures were all free-standing treatises. I want to do it again. I hope you can make room for me in this issue, and if I hurry, it can be catalogued by Thanksgiving.

Thanks for reminding me of my Twain essay, Concerning The Jews. That was a good'un. Stirring Times in Austria is also very interesting.
Hi Michele, Ingersoll's Thanksgiving Sermon would be a fine addition to the Nonfiction Collection, hopefully in the current volume. :) When I saw William Jones' Twain recording, I remembered yours but not what volume it was in and had to go looking for it--clear back to vol 46. It's amazing how fast time flies...
soupy

Post by soupy »

Stirring Times in Austria

Should we use the Haithi Trust link instead of the PDF?

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/009794089

Craig
Last edited by soupy on November 8th, 2017, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
msfry

Post by msfry »

Sue Anderson wrote: It's amazing how fast time flies...
Especially when you are having so much fun and doing what you really love to do. Thanks. I will begin scrambling tomorrow to get this read on time :D '

And unless the cover is pre-claimed, I shall try my best to claim it.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

msfry wrote:
Sue Anderson wrote: It's amazing how fast time flies...
Especially when you are having so much fun and doing what you really love to do. Thanks. I will begin scrambling tomorrow to get this read on time :D '

And unless the cover is pre-claimed, I shall try my best to claim it.
Ah... I always do the covers! Sorry about that!
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

soupy wrote:Stirring Times in Austria

Should we use the Haithi Trust link?

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/009794089

Craig
Hi Craig, That's a good find! I had looked in Haithi before I went to google books and saw that Haithi didn't have vol. 96 of Harper's, but I never thought of an essay collection! :) You can PL from the collection if you want, and if all is the same as what William has recorded, then I'll change the catalog listing, since it would make it easier for a listener to find. If, however, there are differences, then the original magazine article in Google should be the source. How's that by you?
soupy

Post by soupy »

Sounds good. I'll wait for his new link.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Sue,
Thank you for the gracious welcome to a near Newbie.

I have appended the missing fragment to the file names and uploaded them again:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf053_stirringtimes1of2_marktwain_bj_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf053_stirringtimes2of2_marktwain_bj_128kb.mp3

Note: in the other area in which I have submitted reading, I usually get an email saying that a new posting has been made to that forum. But, I found your comments only by luck.

Here in this forum, at this minute (Wed. 04 NOV 17 at 7pm EST), I see duplicates of almost every post.
Is there any particular reason for this duplication?

Thanks.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sue Anderson wrote: Hi Availle, As always, you read technical material very well! :) :) [snip]
oops, after reading this I was waiting for Craig's PL notes. Only now I find out that they are actually before yours... :oops:

I'll try to get the file fixed within a day or two, I'll check the last paragraph, I'm not sure. Now that you mention this, I'm not even sure the raised "q" actually stands for "cubed"... :?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

williamjones wrote:Sue,
Thank you for the gracious welcome to a near Newbie.

I have appended the missing fragment to the file names and uploaded them again:

Note: in the other area in which I have submitted reading, I usually get an email saying that a new posting has been made to that forum. But, I found your comments only by luck.

Here in this forum, at this minute (Wed. 04 NOV 17 at 7pm EST), I see duplicates of almost every post.
Is there any particular reason for this duplication?

Thanks.
Hi Bill, Thank you very much for the new files. :) I have entered them in the MW, and now our DPL Craig (Soupy) will do the formal PL. I'll try to grab a listen myself tomorrow.

To answer your question about duplicating posts when posting a reply--there are no rules! You can post however you like! I think the reason I myself usually copy a post when replying to it is just to keep the "questions and answers" together in one place...

In answer to your question about getting e-mails from this thread, as I understand the LibriVox system, you get an e-mail whenever a new post is made to a thread you are "watching." The key word here is "watching." As long as you keep clicking every time you get an e-mail, you keep getting e-mails from that thread, but if you skip even once, you are no longer considered to be "watching" and the e-mails from that particular thread stop. However, if you are not getting e-mails at all, then you might want to post a query on the "help needed" thread.

-----------
I'm copying here, for you, a part of the e-mail I always get when I post to the Nonfiction Collection to show you which of the choices I click to keep "watching"...

Hello:

You are receiving this notification because you are watching the topic,
"Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 53 - jo" at "LibriVox Forum". This topic
has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link
to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you
visit the topic.

If you want to view the newest post made since your last visit, click the
following link:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=67668&p=1411177&e=1411177

-----------

Hope this helps,
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Thanks yet again!

Yes, that's the link I use to get into a forum/collection/whatever.

Of course I'm familiar with the quoting of emails in replies. But, it seems like full postings are appearing and not in the guise of a quote. I'll keep my eye on this.

I guess my problem is that I don't know about how to set "watching" ON.

Perhaps someone will put a bug in my ear.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
soupy

Post by soupy »

Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 53 - jo

Reply to topic

Board index » Readers Wanted: Short Works (Poetry & Prose)

Page 7 of 7 [ 99 posts ]
Go to page Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View unanswered posts | View active topics View unread posts | View new posts | View your posts

Subscribe topic
| Bookmark topic | Print view | E-mail friend Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Hi Sue and Bill

If you look at the top of the page of any project it looks like above.

Click on Subscribe and you will get e-mails.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Craig,

Thank you.

That is way too simple.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Sue Anderson wrote:I'm copying here, for you, a part of the e-mail I always get when I post to the Nonfiction Collection to show you which of the choices I click to keep "watching"...

.....This topic has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link
to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you
visit the topic.
I am surprised that you, the BC, has to click on every post received or you will be cut off from any future notifications. But this may explain why I, as BC, have sometimes been unsubscribed from my own projects and thinking nothing has come in lately, had to be PM'd by the MC to tell me to attend to my readers' posts, which looked like I had abandoned my project. Not! I heard somewhere that the MC can set a time limit for cutting people off, is that true? But surely the BC and MC should have no time limit!!!!!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Well, after you have received a notification, you must visit the thread - while you're logged in to the forums!

If you don't - or visit without loggin in - the system will assume you have not read the notification / the recent posts and will not send any further notifications until you do.

It's actually quite smart this way! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Well, people, I had a feeling that my response to the question "how to stay apprised of what is going on in the world of LibriVox" would bring some responses . . . Glad to see there are so many attentive LibriVoxers following the Nonfiction thread! :lol: Thanks, all for the input!