[COMPLETE]The Polity of the Athenians and the Lacedaemonians

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

The Polity of the Athenians and the Lacedaemonians (Spartans) by Xenophon (ca. 430 BC - 354 BC). Translated by H. G. Dakyns (1838 - 1911)

This project can now be found in our catalog at http://librivox.org/the-polity-of-the-athenians-and-the-lacedaemonians-spartans-by-xenophon/
The Polity of the Lacedaemonians [Spartans] talks about the laws and institutions created by Lycurgus, which train and develop Spartan citizens from birth to old age. It only because of Xenophon that we have most of our knowledge about the Spartans. Xenophon the Athenian was born 431 B.C. He was a pupil of Socrates. He marched with the Spartans, and was exiled from Athens. Sparta gave him land and property in Scillus, where he lived for many years before having to move once more, to settle in Corinth. He died in 354 B.C.. ( The introduction and Phil chenevert)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1178
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

============================================

Genres for the project: Classics (Antiquity)

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "The Polity of the Athenians and the Lacedaemonians . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Polity of the Athenians, by Xenophon. Translated by H. G. Dakyns [Part, if applicable]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Polity of the Athenians and the Lacedaemonians (Spartans) by Xenophon. Translated by H. G. Dakyns (1838 - 1911) This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Polity of the Athenians and the Lacedaemonians (Spartans) , by Xenophon. Translated by H. G. Dakyns (1838 - 1911)"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

b
  • Example filename polityoftheatheniansandspartans_##_xenophon_128kn.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. polityoftheatheniansandsparans_01_xenophon_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Xenophon
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Polity of the Athenians and the Lacedaemonians (Spartans)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Phil:

I'd be interested in DPL-ing this.

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

DrPGould wrote:Phil:

I'd be interested in DPL-ing this.

Many thanks,

Philip
That would be wonderful Philip. Another fun and frolicsome book, eh? I Won't be including the translator's footnotes but if you read along, you might find them interesting. Translators have a tough job. Image
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

They do indeed. Looking forward to the project.

Philip
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Philip. Section 1 is in the Magic Window. In this one, The Polity of the Athenians, Xenophon rips the Athenians democracy from one end to the other. What a wonderful piece of sarcasm. Actually, much of this is applicable to current US , hmmmmm.

There may be small discrepancies in the file name; just ignore that. I will keep them consistent .. hopefully. also, I have decided to follow the internal divisions as Part one, part two, etc.

sound quality not great but other than that, let me know if anything is wrong and I will fix it. Can't fix my voice! :D
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Phil!

You are off to a great start. Section 1 is PL-Ok! :clap: Interesting look at democratic fundamentals.

(Programming note: I will likely be away from the boards Oct 21-23. Going to NW AR to eulogize the first client I had in the days when I practiced law.)

I shall return.

Many thanks,

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Phil:

Two brief notes about Section 2:

1. At 8:54 I heard "dieting" : I expected "extra dieting"
2. At 20 41 I heard "dissolve" I expected devolve.

(caught #1 by accident--just happened to be looking directly at the page as it went through.)

Another interesting discussion--but it looks as if Xenophon is caught in the same "trap" as most of the ancient Greeks (Sparta v. Athens). Granted that they were the two dichotomous city/states in Greece; but they and their allies fought each other and ground each other to a pulp such that the Greek Thebans and later the Macedonians achieved hegemony--to the eventual destruction of Greek culture. Difficult to choose between the two with that outcome.

I'll quit rambling.

Many thanks,

Philip
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Oh yes! They definitely ground each other up. and then along came Philip from up North to pick up the pieces, eh? I just listened to a great series of lectures about Greek culture during this period during and after defeat ing the Persians (?) and how they spread all around the Mediterranean. I learned a lot as always because my ignorance is great here. This is one of the Great Courses series. Another was on Alexander.

Section 3 is in the MW and I have repaired the goofs in section 2 and uploaded it, reqady for spot check. Thanks for catching those. :D
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Phil:

At 9:27 I heard "public living" where I expected "noble living"

That's the only thing....well done.

I enjoyed listening to this project, and as always, it is a privilege to work with you.

Philip
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

At 9:27 I heard "public living" where I expected "noble living"
That's the only thing....well done.
I enjoyed listening to this project, and as always, it is a privilege to work with you.
Philip
Right! I fixed that slip at 9:27 and have uploaded it again so if you wish, you may check it out or if you prefer, I can check it myself.

always a pleasure to work with you to Philip.
As a side note, I have an unofficial 'hard to read' scale that I unconsciously apply to things as I go through them and this one was surprisingly difficult, say a 7 on a 1-10 scale. The translator made some difficult phrasing that took me aback and made me say 'huh?' frequently an then have to go back and reread an entire section with differnt inflection. Chesterton is another hard read for me, his ideas are so hard to phrase correctly to get their sense I think. Poe is also to get right. Whereas Mark Twain is smooth as silk as is Robert Howard; both a joy. I know you never asked about this but was just thinking about it since my next story will be a Conan the Barbarian story by Howard. No extra charge for that unsolicited info!Image
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Phil:

You're good to go. Thanks for waiting for me.

Philip
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

You're good to go. Thanks for waiting for me.

Philip
No problem at all Philip. I must say, this has been a most enlightening read for me. I learned a lot. Now i am looking for more things that Xenophon wrote to see what else I have missed in my education. :thumbs: Much gratitude. Oh, what are you reading these days if you don't mind me asking?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

This project can now be found in our catalog at http://librivox.org/the-polity-of-the-athenians-and-the-lacedaemonians-spartans-by-xenophon/

Thank you very much Philip :thumbs: