[COMPLETE]The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (again)-dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Cori

Post by Cori »

The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (1866 - 1946).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-war-of-the-worlds-version-3-by-h-g-wells/
No one would have believed, in the last years of the nineteenth century, that the Earth was being scrutinised and studied from across the gulf of space. With infinite complacency, humanity went about its little affairs, serene in its assurance of its empire over matter. It is possible that the micro-organisms we watch under a microscope, do the same. Few people gave thought to the idea of life on other planets, and none imagined that it could be so vastly superior in intellect to ourselves. No one considered the possibility of extra-terrestrial danger. Yet the eyes that regarded our planet were envious and unsympathetic, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us. (Cori Samuel, adapted from Chapter One.)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/36
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed.
    It won't take that long :) Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: martians, invasion, aliens, surrey, horsell common, woking, maybury hill

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of The War of the Worlds. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • In the first chapter, I'll add:
      "Recording by me"
    • Say:
      "The War of the Worlds, by H. G. Wells. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • Only if applicable, which it is, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    This novel is in two books, and the chapters unhelpfully restart their numbering in the second -- hence using sections to help listeners track where they are.

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, and I do, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The War of the Worlds, by H. G. Wells. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename waroftheworlds_##_wells_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. waroftheworlds_01_wells_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      Please use your BC/DPL login.
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: dlolso21
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Cori

Post by Cori »

Yes, I'd love an MC and DPL for this recording. I unexpectedly have time on my hands at the moment, so this should go pretty quickly, ideally by mid October.

Yes, it's been incredibly difficult not doing a Richard Burton impersonation. If my future DPL is not familiar with Jeff Wayne's genuinely epic musical version, I recommend it most highly. As a tiny taster, his outtakes are most entertaining. (Poor chap, Billericay doesn't even appear in the actual novel!)

I've invented a drinking game based on the text, if anyone's interested ...
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Cori,

I can MC this.

MW is started and tested.

David O
Cori

Post by Cori »

Awesome, thank you, David!
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

It looks like this will be version 3.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Yep ... the previous two were both 2006, so I thought it was time to update, since he's NOW IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN IN THE UK (not that that's been something I've been paying extremely close attention to or anything. :roll: :roll: :roll: )

I grew up in the Woking area, so find his pernickety attention to geographical detail especially fun.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Can't resist. Would enjoy being dpl. And yes, I do have a copy of the musical (somewhere).
Cori

Post by Cori »

Fabulous, thank you, Dave! The first chapter is up -- twice, because I forgot the proper naming format the first time :roll: (sorry, David, to clutter your folder first thing I do.)

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/waroftheworlds_01_wells_128kb.mp3 16m 46s
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Moving this to Going Solo.

Cori,

The DR Ben Hur just recently finished so my folder feels very empty.

David O
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

1 PL OK.
Cori

Post by Cori »

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

2 PL OK.

Probably time to remove the ~
Cori

Post by Cori »

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

3 PL OK.
Cori

Post by Cori »