COMPLETE[PLAY]The Cabinet Minister by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

This "they ain't what they seem" runs through all these Pinero plays, methinks. Last play, the adorable little siblings are really conniving little she-devils. The policeman's wife hatches the jailbreak scheme. The Butler is a poisoner. The aged sister is a horse-owning man of the turf. And the saintly Dean, well - what more can be said? I think the groom and Sir Tristram are about the only ones that are as they seem.

So your suggestion about Lebanon may be right on the mark.

I wonder if I can find a book about Pinero and his plays to offer as a companion to his plays? I will look around.

EDIT: Found one. "Arthur Wing Pinero, Playwright - A Study. https://archive.org/details/cu31924013536796

Thanks, Todd
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:Question for everyone.

Whereas in Act 2, Joseph is in full slimy blackmail mode, by Act 3, he's trying to fit in with the Beautiful People in a Scottish castle. And making such a hash of it, too. Dressed in a kilt, for Pete's sake. I started doing the lines with the slime still turned up to maximum, but I found myself feeling just a little sorry for the character, the way he's getting snubbed by all and sundry. I suspect that's what Pinero intended the audience to feel. Sympathy for a character they loathe. The ludicrous nature of feeling that sympathy almost against one's will adds to the farce, I think. Makes the audience giggle nervously at him. I want to try it again, and while keeping Joseph as coarse and irritating as a pair of burlap long-johns, I figure on dialling the slime back just a little bit, at least until such time as he starts blackmailing Kitty again over those secret Government documents. Then the slime can come back up to its wonted eye-watering levels.

Does anyone have an opinion or feedback on this proposition? I sure would admire to have it.

Cheers,
Chris
I think you’re definitely on the right track. I see Joseph as slimy and very low life, but also a bit of the buffoon that endears us to him. For certain, his floundering around within high society, trying desperately to fit in, makes the audience feel sympathy for him, as he becomes something like an elephant in a ballet tutu. In my opinion, Joseph Lebanon, for all his slime and conniving, can also become the most memorable character in the whole play. He tries too much, and fails miserably, mainly because of his naïveté, deep down inside. He really isn’t as slimy as he wants people to think. But that’s the only thing he knows, coming from the back alleys of town. He’s like a kid, playing at being a big, bad guy. Dialing back the slime a bit will be good now, as you’ve already established your slimy character, and now we need to see your more vulnerable side, just as I will start showing my low upbringing, inadvertently dropping into my native Cockney when I get angry, and then bouncing right back into my “posh” accent.
Yes, your analysis of Jo is very astute, and will raise your character to a new level.
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Thanks for the feedback, Todd, Linda. Will go to work now on Joseph with that angle.

By the way, Todd, have you noticed this: "I'll be really busy in October, but if you really need me to do a recording, just give me a nudge."

Cadbury don't make them anymore! https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8004/7654577818_dbf8de85f3_b.jpg
So you're REALLY going to have to do something about that whole pesky unidirectional-flow-of-time thing, so that you can go back and stock up. C'mon, all you've got to do is figure out how to turn a tardyon into a tachyon, I figure by Sunday afternoon tops.

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:Whereas in Act 2, Joseph is in full slimy blackmail mode, by Act 3, he's trying to fit in with the Beautiful People in a Scottish castle. And making such a hash of it, too. Dressed in a kilt, for Pete's sake. I started doing the lines with the slime still turned up to maximum, but I found myself feeling just a little sorry for the character, the way he's getting snubbed by all and sundry.
I agree completely, bringing out a more vulnerable side of him will make him awesomely complex. This is a good thing, no character is uniformly black or white, the shades of grey is what makes them interesting.

And if you play his more sensitive side now, it will make your sister look all the more evil, because she is not "desperately" trying to fit in, but more "busting" into the party and making a general show of herself LOL Maybe in the end Jo has a bit more humility than Fan.

Still, don't expect Kitty T. will feel sympathy for him though. (Sonia surely will, though, but I need to stay in character. I hope you are not making it too hard on me.)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:Oh Kitty, Kitty, Kitty. How have you gone so wrong? If you believe that that Mr Lebanon will help you out of you financial difficulties out of the goodness of his heart, you probably also sent your bank account info to those nice folks trying to get you to help move their money out of Nigeria....
:lol: let's not go that far.

And I learnt my lesson the hard way, now I met the Lebanons (Jo and Fan) in tandem.
Your Act 1 reading is PL OK, but I fear you need some serious help. Maybe things will get better in Act 2. I'm sure they will.
it probably needs to get worse before it gets better though :help: Buckle up for some more desperation on your part, Lord T. I think you will have a hard time understanding your dear Kitty's behaviour in the next act.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

ToddHW wrote:I wonder if I can find a book about Pinero and his plays to offer as a companion to his plays? I will look around.

EDIT: Found one. "Arthur Wing Pinero, Playwright - A Study. https://archive.org/details/cu31924013536796

Thanks, Todd
Prep'd the book and will offer it soon - probably tomorrow. (I'm off wargaming today - dwarves, elves, and some very heavily armed Teddy Bears from the era of The Seven Years Picnic...)

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:I wonder if I can find a book about Pinero and his plays to offer as a companion to his plays? I will look around.
highly interesting !!! I skimmed through and read up a bit on the actresses. Turns out a Mrs John Wood played George Tidd, Agatha Poskett, Miss Dyott and also Kitty Twombley ! I didn't even know this when I claimed the roles, but we are somehow historically staying in character here, by me taking on all those roles as well. What a coincidence.

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

From the archives:

"Mrs. John Wood was a very pretty woman, possessing a fine figure and an attractive face. Her style was excellent in everything she attempted. She read well, had a melodious voice, was affecting in pathetic scenes and lively in those of a cheerful character, was a graceful dancer, and, although her voice was not very strong, it was melodious and well cultivated. She possessed the artistic talent which satisfied every demand that could be made by the most rigid stickler for a high degree of merit in a theatrical artist."

Well, we haven't had Kitty dance yet ... hang on, we did, in The Schoolmistress, didn't we?

What do you know about reincarnation, Todd?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:Well, we haven't had Kitty dance yet ... hang on, we did, in The Schoolmistress, didn't we?
What do you know about reincarnation, Todd?
*twilight zone music starts here* :shock:

Sonia
catharmaiden

Post by catharmaiden »

Can I please claim Angèle the French nurse ?

Sandra
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

catharmaiden wrote:Can I please claim Angèle the French nurse ?

Sandra
Mais oui!

Thanks, Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

I'd be happy to read the Dowager Lady Countess of Drumdurris. I need hardly say I have a motive for claiming that part. :D
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Joe Lebanon, Act 3, completed: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cabinetminister_josephlebanon_3.mp3

Joe shows his vulnerable side, albeit coarsely. At least until such time as he puts the blackmailin' bite on Lady T, a look at those official Canal papers in exchange for those financial contracts with Kitty he calls "Lovely Woman’s Acceptances".

Joe Lebanon & Co.
"We won't be beaten on Lovely Women’s Acceptances!"
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:Joe shows his vulnerable side, albeit coarsely.
he does indeed go a totally wrong way about getting accepting into high society, 'xcuse my humour :mrgreen:

but wow: 17 minutes :shock: Jo Lebanon is really the central piece of this Act I dare say. And you characterized him very well. One can almost feel sorry for him in the beginning where everybody shuns him, but then again, his boisterous bragging stories delivered in increasing decibels are not really something anyone would want to put up with. Ever heard of "delicacy" ? You should have invested your easily-earned money into those lessons instead of the Scottish reel. :roll:

And you are really making poor Kitty squirm here, but I noticed with satisfaction, I will not go down quietly. :mrgreen: Looking forward to shaking you about a bit.

Although I must hand it to Jo, the fact he gave back those bills speaks at least in the favour of his honour. I think his sister Fan is a nastier piece of work than he is. I'm sure she would have made copies for further uses. :evil:

Act 3 is totally PL ok. And the voice credit is in here as well. Thanks !

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

My goodness, how can I possibly resist a Dowager??

:mrgreen:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com