COMPLETE[PLAY]The Cabinet Minister by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: January 4th, 2018, 5:56 pm Just checking in to let you know I have the stage directions recorded for all four acts. I'll get them edited as soon as I can. Tried posting this just minutes before the forum was taken off line this morning. We're snowed in here north of Boston....
wonderful Larry. If you wouldn't mind, could you upload each act you have finished right when it's ready ? I'd prefer if I didn't get those 4 acts in one swoop, so as not to be overwhelmed with PLing.

Thank you
Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
benderca

Post by benderca »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: December 21st, 2017, 5:12 pmMy Scottish friend told me she would no longer talk to me if I leave the botched up version for all eternity to hear... :wink:

Say it like you mean it, TJ! :D

“Mah Scots mukker tellt me she wid na langer blether tae me if ah didnae fix tha tairible go fur aye tae hear.”

Cheers,
Chris
Ha! Thanks, Chris! I'll give it a try!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Starting to edit the stage directions, so here is Act I. I had to only one line over, so I hope it sounds okay. Let me know if I'm doing these right, or if there is anything I need to add at the beginning.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cabinetminister_stagedirections_1.mp3 16:10
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote:Starting to edit the stage directions, so here is Act I. I had to only one line over, so I hope it sounds okay. Let me know if I'm doing these right, or if there is anything I need to add at the beginning.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cabinetminister_stagedirections_1.mp3 16:10
I'm on it, will get to you right away. Thanks so much Larry. Stage direction are quite important in Pinero plays.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok Larry, posting this before I go to bed. :) First of all thank you for the huge work, I know from experience that Pinero is really stretching the stage directions quite a bit.

I did notice that you basically left all those directions out which referred emotions. After consulting back with Todd, we came to the conclusion that some of them really can be left out, but others are a bit too tricky to convey through the voice alone, as they are also quite visual (which we can't convey in a reading). Could I ask you to insert those back into the correct slots please ?

Here is the list, and in order not to mess up the time-stamps, remember to start at the end ;)

> at about 4:13:
"Valentine White, mimicking Brooke"
"Valentine White, in horror"

> at about 4:48: "Lady Euphemia Vibart, indifferently"

> at about 5:49: "Lady Euphemia Vibart, reproachfully"

> at about 8:26: "Imogen, with dignity"

> at 9:02: "Mrs Gaylustre, to Lady Twombley, with a little sob" - you forgot to mention "with a little sob"

> at about 9:11: "Sir Julian Twombley, mournfully"

> at about 12:32: "Macphail, sadly"

> at about 13:10: "Sir Julian in evening dress, enters with a letter in his hand"

> at 14:32: "Mrs Gaylustre, producing Lady Twombley's letter to Brooke" - you forgot to say "Mrs Gaylustre"

> at 15:01: "Sir Julian Twombley, to Lady Twombley, reproachfully" - you omitted "reproachfully"

It would really be great for the other acts, if you could simply include all the stage directions. I agree, some will get cut, but it's better if Todd has the choice to take it or leave it. :)

Other than that, the intro disclaimer is not our standard, as mentioned in the first post. Could you please change that one to: "Act 1 of The Cabinet Minister, by Arthur Wing Pinero. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org."

Then I further noticed, in the Dramatis Personae you never said "read by", but I think all the readers have given their correct voice credits, so this is not necessary to change for the time being. You're off the hook on that one ;)

Thank you so much. And now: good night. It's half past 2 here. :?

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I'm sorry I misunderstood about the stage directions that are just instructions to the actors on how to say their lines, like sadly, quietly, with dignity, etc. In other plays these have usually been omitted, It will take me some time to go back to find them and include them in the rest of the acts, but I'll do my best and hope they sound okay. I'll fix the intro, of course. Thanks so much. :D
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: January 12th, 2018, 7:16 pm I'm sorry I misunderstood about the stage directions that are just instructions to the actors on how to say their lines, like sadly, quietly, with dignity, etc. In other plays these have usually been omitted, It will take me some time to go back to find them and include them in the rest of the acts, but I'll do my best and hope they sound okay. I'll fix the intro, of course. Thanks so much. :D
yes I am sorry. :( There is even a chance that one or two of these get excluded as well here, but we can't be sure beforehand, and otherwise I need to check every reader once again, to see whether they captured it enough to leave the direction out. It's easier if the narrator does them all by default and then the editor can choose.

But you shouldn't have trouble at all to record them. I wrote down everything you have to re-record. Just do a new file, record all these sentences in one go and then copy/paste them in the right slot. If you start with the LAST sentence and put it into 15:01, the time-stamps before won't change at all. Then the second but last and so on. It's only when you start from the beginning that all the others will move away from the time I gave you.

In fact I will have much more trouble Spot PLing them once more, because then the times will have changed and I need to find them back again ;)

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Okay, understood, Sonia.

Yeah, I learned about starting at the back on my file corrections the hard way. I still remember the first time just getting lost.

I certainly don't want to make more work for you. I'll see if I can't get you the new time stamps for the spot PL. Of course, I'll go through what I've already recorded and add in anything missing so that you get perfect files to PL, or as near perfect as I can make them.
~ Larry
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Can I read Colin Macphail?

EDIT: Although I might need someone to tell me how to pronounce "Ballocheevin."
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote: January 30th, 2018, 10:23 am Can I read Colin Macphail?

hurray, we have our last character cast :9: thank you so much, Chuck (or is that McChuck now ? :mrgreen: )

for Ballocheevin, maybe the best thing for Colin is to say it like his mommy taught him. If you listen to Lady MacPhail from Act 1, at 1:04, she says: "Where would you be, Colin, at this hour at Castle Ballocheevin?" I think that's a good way for saying it. Anyway, as long as you are consistent, we don't mind whatever way you say it.

Welcome to the Twombleys.

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: January 30th, 2018, 10:36 am
ChuckW wrote: January 30th, 2018, 10:23 am Can I read Colin Macphail?

hurray, we have our last character cast :9: thank you so much, Chuck (or is that McChuck now ? :mrgreen: )

for Ballocheevin, maybe the best thing for Colin is to say it like his mommy taught him. If you listen to Lady MacPhail from Act 1, at 1:04, she says: "Where would you be, Colin, at this hour at Castle Ballocheevin?" I think that's a good way for saying it. Anyway, as long as you are consistent, we don't mind whatever way you say it.

Welcome to the Twombleys.

Sonia
Yay!!! We've got our mama's boy! I also say "Ballocheevin" in Act 1 (Dowager, 1:49). After totally botching it up the first time round, I redid it according to the advice of one of my Scottish friends. It's pretty close to Jessie's (Lady MacPhail) version too.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Don’t forget to collect your Purple Heart after you complete Act 3, Chuck.

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Welcome Chuck. And now I get to say "FULL" for this play!

Thanks, Todd
harpinthecloset

Post by harpinthecloset »

Jael
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you Jael ! Better late than never :) And both files are now perfectly PL ok. Missing lines added. Great, one more role in the box.

Sonia