COMPLETE [history]The World's Famous Orations by Bryan and Halsey-ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

The World’s Famous Orations, Vol. III: Great Britain - I
byWilliam Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925) and Francis Whiting Halsey (1851 - 1919)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/the-worlds-famous-orations-vol-iii-great-britain-i-by-william-jennings-bryan/
In 1906, William Jennings Bryan, himself a famous American orator, and Francis Whiting Halsey published a series of the most famous orations of all time. They are ordered by both geographic area and time period, ranging from Ancient Greece to their contemporary United States. The third, fourth, and fifth volumes of this collection concern British speakers. The speeches contained in this third volume are ordered chronologically. We begin in the year 710 AD with a speech on the Saints, and end this volume in 1777 with the realisation of the impossibility of regaining control over the American colonies. ( Carolin)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/worldsfamousorat1906brya
      If you find the text difficult to read, you can refer to this version: http://www.bartleby.com/268/3/ but the dpl must check against the scan. thank you!
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. Footnotes: Please do read the footnotes. They should be announced with "Footnote: ... End of Footnote". Should you find a footnote entirely unintersting, check with us to see if we can omit it. Thanks!
    7. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    8. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of The World’s Famous Orations, Vol. III. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The World’s Famous Orations, Vol. III. [Speech title] by [Orator]."

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The World’s Famous Orations, Vol. III, edited by William Jennings Bryan and Francis Whiting Halsey."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    9. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      orations3_##_bryan_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. orations3_01_bryan_128kb.mp3)
    10. Example ID3 V2 tags (just leave those blank!)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Carolin
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

John Milton - Plea for the Liberty of Unlicensed Printing

part 1
please read until
The Christian faith, for that was once a schism, is not unknown to have spread all over Asia, ere any Gospel or Epistle was seen in writing. If the amendment of manners be aimed at, look into Italy and Spain, whether those places be one scruple the better, the honester, the wiser, the chaster, since all the inquisitional rigor that hath been executed upon books.

part 2
please start at
Another reason, whereby to make it plain that this order will miss the end it seeks, consider by the quality which ought to be in every licenser. It can not be denied but that he who is made judge to sit upon the birth or death of books, whether they may be wafted into this world or not, had need to be a man above the common measure, both studious, learned, and judicious; there may be else no mean mistakes in the censure of what is passable or not, which is also no mean injury.
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

this project is now ready to go :D

we have completed the greek orations, and have almost completed the ancient romans, and now we move over to old britain. these look like a lot of fun, i hope you will enjoy them!
Carolin
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

I should probably let you get "settled in" but I can't resist. May I claim sections 9, 27 and 28.

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you philip! No need for settling, most projects can grrt started as soon as the magic window is all filled in :)
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

off we go to readers wanted :)
Carolin
gordonmott

Post by gordonmott »

I'll claim section 1. This is also my first recording. If it's okay, I'd like to appear by name. Just list me as "Gordon Mott".
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Grest, thank you gordon!

I have signed you up, your personal catalog page is here https://librivox.org/reader/11970

You can get started right away :D
Carolin
gordonmott

Post by gordonmott »

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you! how long is the recording (mm:ss)? please remember to always post the duration of a recording along with the link when you post a file :) thank you!
Carolin
gordonmott

Post by gordonmott »

Carolin wrote:thank you! how long is the recording (mm:ss)? please remember to always post the duration of a recording along with the link when you post a file :) thank you!
Recording is 3:44 in length. Sorry about that.
bandbw123

Post by bandbw123 »

Hi Carolin ( and Welcome Gordon!),
The PL for Section 1 is complete. It is PL OK. Could you please change the Section 1 Line Item in the MW to PL OK for me as I do not have MW access for this project.

:thumbs:

Regards,
Betsy
(Bandbw123)
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Carolin:

Attached is the link to Section 27. Running time is 5:45.

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

gordonmott wrote:
Carolin wrote:thank you! how long is the recording (mm:ss)? please remember to always post the duration of a recording along with the link when you post a file :) thank you!
Recording is 3:44 in length. Sorry about that.
Hi gordon, i noticed the discrepancy between the length of the recording and the word count, and it turns out you are missing the first two pages of the oration. Could you please have a look at this and see if you can add those? Thank you! :)
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

And thank you philip and betsy!
Carolin