COMPLETE-grp/fiction Moods by Louisa May Alcott-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Sherry, thanks for chapter 17. Would you like to continue with chapter 18?
Laura, yes, the file names slightly changed because they made a few fixes a few weeks ago. Would you like our mc to explain?
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
rieyrules

Post by rieyrules »

Yes, absolutely. I just hope it's easy enough for my pea-brain to understand! :?
I just sent something earlier this month, though, so unless the change took place since then, I should be able to do it.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Laura,
Please try to upload it again with that file name. I believe it will be fine if the upload completes.
Good luck!
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
JayFoxe

Post by JayFoxe »

Hi,

I would like to read section 18: Chapter XVIII What Next?

thanks
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hello JayFoxe,
welcome to Librivox. I hope you will enjoy here. Section 18 ais all ours. Before you start, please submit a one-minute samplal recording just to make sure that your tecnical are all correct. Please let us know under which name you would like to be rcredetedin the catalogue: your real name, your forum name, or something else that you choose. Please let us know if you have any questions and, again, have fun.
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
rieyrules

Post by rieyrules »

OK, so I really thought I was past the point of having to recruit my computer-savvy husband, who doesn't understand why I want to do this recording "stuff" in the 1st place, from having to help me anymore, but after exhausting all other resources with my limited brain capacity, I'm back in business thanks to him! Turned out to be a very simple fix, and I wrote it down on my step-by-step instructions, so I think I'll be able to go solo now... we'll see for how long! :roll: Anyway, here is Chapter 15:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/moods_15_alcott_128kb.mp3
23min 41sec
JayFoxe

Post by JayFoxe »

ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

I so hate to do this to you after you worked so hard to get it uploaded, but the volume is really too soft on chapter 15. Could you increase it about 6 dB? 89.0 is our target and it's at 82.9 now. Thanks!
Arlene
---------------------------------------------
Every day is a new adventure!
rieyrules

Post by rieyrules »

Thanks Arlene. After a lengthy investigation, we (OK, my husband...AGAIN!!) finally figured out the very simple way to amplify the recording. By finding the Amplify button! :oops: Let's see if this is better-- it should be.
Laura

23min 41sec
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

In chapter 17, there is a repeat at 17:41. It sounds like a correction, so you'll want to back up a couple of seconds -- "strong-hearted Warwick wept like a child". Very lovely reading! Since you're going to be editing anyway, take a listen at 00:43. There is a fade-out you might want to fix. But it's a small thing, and I wouldn't have called it out if you weren't already going to be editing the chapter. Thank you!

If you picked this up in email, and so got my original post, I apologize. Chapter 17 is the chapter to be corrected.
Arlene
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

I'm not seeing any difference in the volume of chapter 15. First question would be whether you re-exported it after you amplified it. Please forgive me if that sounds like a dumb question, but since I've done it myself, I have to ask.

I'm not sure which software you're using. In Audacity, when you ask it to amplify, there is a checkbox that allows clipping. If you leave the box unchecked (which you should), Audacity won't amplify to the point it would have to clip. I found that using the Compressor tool (under the Effect menu) takes out the volume peaks, so that Audacity has room to amplify without clipping. I'm not sure if that's why your amplify didn't work, but it's a common cause.

For future recordings, you might want to check out both the volume on Audacity and the volume on your mic to see if you can turn them up without distorting. It's usually better to record close to the final volume than to have to amplify afterwards. But it's not always possible.

Getting all the technical stuff right often takes some time on your first recording or two, but after that, it's a repetitive pattern, and won't feel so frustrating. I promise.
Arlene
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Just have to pop in like a troll and thank you all for your hard work.
Jay Fox, please tell us the duration of chapter 18. I have to know this before entering it to the magic window for two reasons:
1. To make sure the whole file arrives safely.
2. Arlene, our proof listener, probably wants to know how much time to dedicate to listen to it in order to find the proper timing to do so.
Have fun,
Stav.
JayFoxe

Post by JayFoxe »

Oops! Sorry. Completely forgot to add that bit.
00:41:20
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thanks a lot.
rieyrules

Post by rieyrules »

Arlene, that was not a dumb question, because that's EXACTLY what I didn't do: Export it again after fixing the amplify. And thank you for the other tips, as well. I think it should be OK this time, but please continue to let me know. I will get this right eventually!
Laura

23mins, 41secs