COMPLETE The Bride of Lammermoor by Sir Walter Scott - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
GillH

Post by GillH »

The Bride of Lammermoor by Sir Walter Scott (1771 - 1832).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-bride-of-lammermoor-by-sir-walter-scott/
An historical novel by Sir Walter Scott, part of the Tales of My Landlord series, published anonymously in 1819. Based on a true story, it is set in south-east Scotland and (in this edition) in the reign of Queen Anne, after the 1707 Acts of Union which joined Scotland and England. It tells of a tragic love affair between young Lucy Ashton and Edgar Ravenswood, her family's enemy. Lady Ashton sets out to end their engagement and make Lucy marry a man better placed politically. ( Gillian Hendrie)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/471
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Bride of Lammermoor. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Bride of Lammermoor, by Sir Walter Scott. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Bride of Lammermoor by Sir Walter Scott. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Bride of Lammermoor, by Sir Walter Scott."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename brideoflammermoor_##_scott_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. brideoflammermoor_01_scott_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
GillH

Post by GillH »

Oops! I don't know why it thinks I've translated it. Can someone savvy person please rectify that? Thanks.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

your MC will need to fix it in the database record when they pick it up.

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, this is set up.

I removed you as translator. 8-)

As you're the soloist, you're in charge of updating the Magic Window. I've entered the first two chapters for you as an example. You can fill in the rest. (I started you out using Roman numerals, but you can just use regular numbers if you want.)

When you upload a chapter, put the file duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field and the uploaded URL into the Listen URL field, and mark it from Assigned to Ready for PL.

One little note: For the first section's intro, you can say "Introduction to The Bride of ..." rather than "Chapter zero of The Bride..." as the template instructions would seem to have you do. This is probably common sense, but I wanted to be sure you knew it. :)

Holler if you have questions. We'll sit here in the Launch Pad for a little while to see if a DPL comes by. In the meantime, you can start filling in the section names in the MW, and start recording. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
GillH

Post by GillH »

Thank you so much, Tricia. Looking forward to getting started.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm interested in PLing this, please.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You're in, Devorah. Thanks!

I'm moving this to Going Solo...
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
GillH

Post by GillH »

Chapter 1
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/brideoflammermoor_01_scott_128kb.mp3

34:34
Please check especially for background noise as I had to record this over a few sessions. (Workmen next door!)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

GillH wrote:Chapter 1
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/brideoflammermoor_01_scott_128kb.mp3

34:34
Please check especially for background noise as I had to record this over a few sessions. (Workmen next door!)
Wow, Gillian, I love your voice! I can't tell you how pleased I am that I get to hear this story in your voice. :D

I didn't hear any background noise, however there are times here and there throughout when your voice sounds pretty distorted, which can happen when you are too aggressive with noise cleaning. In general, it's preferable to leave a little bit of noise in if you have to, rather than for your voice to sound unnatural. I listened to another solo which was recorded during cicada season. Not much you can do about cicadas. The other thing to remember when noise cleaning is that it's better to do multiple rounds of noise cleaning at a lower setting (dB) than one pass with a higher setting to avoid distorting your voice. :)

I believe this is your first solo, is that right? Brava for choosing to take it on! :clap: As Tricia mentioned, for a solo, it is the soloist's job to keep the MW updated. In a group project, you would do exactly as you've done above and post a message with the link and duration, but here you'll put this information directly into the MW and mark that section "Ready for PL". I went ahead and entered this one for you.

I do have one note for you on Chapter 1. At the very end of the chapter, there is a stumble that you missed in editing, and some sort of weird glitchy thing: "speak now what... speak now what then a great deal more" and here there is a strange sort of electronic-sounding buzzing "they act." It sounds like something happened here, whether during recording or during editing I have no idea, but it put in this weird buzz. I'd just record that last sentence over again if I were you. (Incidentally, I wonder if this is an error on Gutenberg's part? "Speak now and then" makes more sense. :hmm: )

Again, congratulations on taking on this project. You've made an excellent start, and I'm looking forward to the rest! :thumbs:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Incidentally, I have done a number of readings by Scottish authors, George MacDonald in particular (love him so much!), and they're sometimes written phonetically in Scottish dialect. While my reading of it sounds pretty good to my American ears, I don't have the slightest idea how it may sound to a native Scot. I don't have any delusions that I could pass myself off as Scottish, but I'm hoping at least that it wouldn't induce cringes. I'd be very pleased if, as a favor, you would listen to a little snippet and tell me how it sounds to you or if I could improve.

There is a poem in this collection: http://librivox.org/short-poetry-collection-169-by-various/ and several chapters in this book: http://librivox.org/sir-gibbie-by-george-macdonald/ that include Scottish.

But really, if you don't want to or don't find the time, I entirely understand. :)
GillH

Post by GillH »

Thank you so much, Devorah. Very detailed!
It might be best if I do the whole recording again. My two main problems right now are
a) I started back to work and my hours are much longer now, and
b) My next-door neighbour is moving out, with workmen around doing goodness knows what very noisily at times, so I can't always do a complete section at one sitting, which is what I prefer.
Also I have an ongoing problem with Audacity which requires extra Compression/ Noise Reduction / Amplifying steps. I get what you say about noise reduction.

I'd love to listen your recordings. :-)
GillH

Post by GillH »

By the way, I have recorded the Introduction but I'm just checking a couple of place name pronunciations.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

GillH wrote:Thank you so much, Devorah. Very detailed!
It might be best if I do the whole recording again. My two main problems right now are
a) I started back to work and my hours are much longer now, and
b) My next-door neighbour is moving out, with workmen around doing goodness knows what very noisily at times, so I can't always do a complete section at one sitting, which is what I prefer.
Also I have an ongoing problem with Audacity which requires extra Compression/ Noise Reduction / Amplifying steps. I get what you say about noise reduction.

I'd love to listen your recordings. :-)
Don't worry, they won't all be this detailed! :lol:

I don't think you need to do the whole thing again. This was a long chapter! I can imagine how much work you've put into it already. I also prefer reading a whole section in one go, but it's not always possible. And while there is some distortion, it's generally only a few seconds or so, it's understandable, and the ear kind of adapts to the new sound pretty quickly, in my experience. I didn't mean to make it sound like it was an unacceptable level, just thought I'd mention it as food for thought, since you had asked about background noise. If you hadn't asked about that, I probably wouldn't have mentioned it at all. The only thing that really needs to be re-recorded is that final sentence.

If your Audacity problem persists, and those extra steps get to be too much hassle, you can always ask around in the Need Help forum. :)
GillH

Post by GillH »

I have. I've had Phil on the case but we can't find a solution. I might uninstall and re-install a third time, but it doesn't look like it's going to help. I might see if I can do it on my husband's computer instead, but he's very proprietorial about these things!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

GillH wrote:I have. I've had Phil on the case but we can't find a solution. I might uninstall and re-install a third time, but it doesn't look like it's going to help. I might see if I can do it on my husband's computer instead, but he's very proprietorial about these things!
Ugh. Technology's great when it works, huh? Good luck!