mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

wsraymond wrote:Section 15.... I don't understand. I removed the extra audio
from my mp3 file and uploaded the shorter version... but when
I click on the link in my message, I am getting the old version
again, with the extra audio... Does it take a while to refresh
with the new version?
Trying clearing your history and/or deleting your cookies. Sometimes web browsers will save a copy of a web page and refer to that copy when you're trying to access the page to save on data use or something like that. So that the new version is there, but your browser is accessing the old copy that it saved the first time around. I'm not really a techy person, but that's the gist of what I understood when it was explained to me. If that doesn't work, maybe try a different browser?

ETA: Also, remember to include the new running time.
NishthaRocks

Post by NishthaRocks »

https://librivox.org/uploads/darvinia/Chapter_14_The_Double_Life_of_Mr._Alfred_Burton_.mp3

This is the link to chapter 14 read by Pseudonymous Nerd

This is my first recording and there are a few errors. :(
If I need to do it again just give me a nudge. :wink:
NishthaRocks

Post by NishthaRocks »

Sorry for posting it so late after claiming iT! :oops:

I was on diwali vacation.
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

sect 15 The Professor Insists

Spot PL OK :thumbs:
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

Devorah Allen,

I tend to jump ahead, it is in no way a reflection on you.

I get into the story and I need to know.

:wink:
Helen

HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

Hi Nishtha,

PL notes for: sect 14 The Legend of the Perfect Food

a lot of background hum, can you use noise reduction or reduce it in some other way?

If not, that's ok (but it might be something to watch in the future)

11:45 stight stumble between, romance.. It confirms many

15:41 I hear a pause mid-sentence: "Yours is a precious life..... On no account

16:15 I hear a pause: The latter had just arrived from the office.....
"Mr. Waddington," Burton exclaimed

16:38 I hear a pause: "Never mind that!" Burton cried. ...."It is the leaves we want!

17:44 please add 5 seconds of silence at the end of the recording.

Now, I will tell you what is right about your reading...everything :clap: I enjoyed your voice changes, plus the feeling and emotion you gave the characters. You brought them to life. I want to hear more readings from you. Great job. :thumbs:
Helen

wsraymond

Post by wsraymond »

The Double Life...

It seems the correct version of Section 15 is there now...
no extra audio at the end. It runs 12:32.

Could it be that the universe is unfolding as it should?

--wa
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you, everyone. Nice job on your first recording, Nishtha. I didn't listen to the whole thing, but I did listen to parts of it, and as Helen said, your characterization is wonderful! I will add a little bit to the notes she gave you.

First, she is absolutely right about the level of background noise in this recording. You're not required to produce professional sound quality, but the amount of background noise here is noticeably higher than most LibriVox recordings. You can refer back to the instructions you were given when you were working on your one-minute test, or check out the wiki on noise cleaning here. (Incidentally, leaving the required five seconds of silence at the end of the recording will help you with this as well. It allows you to tell Audacity what "pure noise", without any speaking, sounds like so that the program can reduce it.)

Also at the end of the recording, just say, "End of Chapter 14." You don't need to re-state the title of the book. Always refer to the first post of a project thread (just under the Magic Window) to find out exactly how your intro and outro should be read.

The first post also tells you how to name your file. We need to have uniform file names for each recording. In particular, capital letters and periods will mess things up. After editing, save your file like this: doublelifeofmralfredburton_##_oppenheim_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (So yours will be doublelifeofmralfredburton_14_oppenheim_128kb.mp3) You don't need to type the ".mp3". That will be added for you.

Lastly, please resist the urge to start from scratch and record the whole thing over again. Most of what you have is great! There are just those few spots that need to be shined up. If you haven't had a chance to experiment with editing yet, I highly recommend this basic how-to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9NuSuWYaWg&feature=youtu.be This video was the single most helpful thing for me after getting my one minute test approved.

Again, great job for a first recording, and I look forward to hearing more from you! If you're enjoying the story, feel free to grab another chapter once these edits are made! :thumbs:

Edited to add: Oh yeah, one more thing! For every section you submit, remember to include the running time of your file! :D
nickflesherVO

Post by nickflesherVO »

I have my sections recorded I just need a little more time to edit them and get them in. I have been busy with other projects on ACX and am fast approaching the deadline for my first paid audiobook! I just need like another week or so to be safe.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

nickflesherVO wrote:I have my sections recorded I just need a little more time to edit them and get them in. I have been busy with other projects on ACX and am fast approaching the deadline for my first paid audiobook! I just need like another week or so to be safe.
Sounds great! Thanks for the update.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Here is section 11. Hopefully it is ok. It has been a while since I did a recording. The reading is 10:26 in length.

https://librivox.org/uploads/darvinia/doublelifeofmralfredburton_11_oppenheim_128kb.mp3
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

JoeS wrote:Here is section 11. Hopefully it is ok. It has been a while since I did a recording. The reading is 10:26 in length.

https://librivox.org/uploads/darvinia/doublelifeofmralfredburton_11_oppenheim_128kb.mp3
Thanks, Joe. It's in the MW and ready for PL.
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

sect 11 The Gate Into Paradise

PL OK

Great reading. :clap:
Helen

JoeS

Post by JoeS »

HZFerr wrote:sect 11 The Gate Into Paradise

PL OK

Great reading. :clap:
That was fast. Thanks and I am glad it was Ok!!
Joe

“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” - George R.R. Martin
ergopony

Post by ergopony »

Hi,

Chapter 6 is up for PL:

Track Length - 17:53
https://librivox.org/uploads/darvinia/doublelifeofmralfredburton_06_oppenheim_128kb.mp3

Thanks!
M.