[COMPLETE]The Double Life of Mr. Alfred Burton

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ergopony wrote:Hi,

Chapter 6 is up for PL:

Track Length - 17:53
https://librivox.org/uploads/darvinia/doublelifeofmralfredburton_06_oppenheim_128kb.mp3

Thanks!
M.
Thank you! This is in the MW and ready for PL. :)
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

sect 6 A Meeting With Ellen

PL OK

great job :thumbs:
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
ergopony

Post by ergopony »

Chapter 7 is now ready for PL :D

Track Length: 12:46
https://librivox.org/uploads/darvinia/doublelifeofmralfredburton_07_oppenheim_128kb.mp3

Cheers,
Michelle.
ergopony

Post by ergopony »

And finally, Chapter 8 is up for PL

While I was editing I thought there were a lot of silibants in the 2nd half, I thought I'd see what our DPL thought about it before making any changes. I'd appreciate the feedback, let me know if it's too much?

Track Length - 13:49
https://librivox.org/uploads/darvinia/doublelifeofmralfredburton_08_oppenheim_128kb.mp3

Cheers,
Michelle.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Michelle, these are in the MW.

I didn't listen to the whole thing--I'll leave that to Helen :)--but I did jump around and listen a bit here and there, because you mentioned you were concerned about sibilants. I didn't notice anything particularly about your "esses," but I did notice that many of your plosives and some of your esses as well had some extra noisiness to them. Are you using a headset mic? If so, it's best to position it a little bit below your mouth, not directly in front of it. You want to avoid putting it where the "wind" of your speech (consonants like f, p, th, s) will blow straight into it. From what I heard, though, there's no need to re-record. Just keep this positioning in mind for future recordings. :)

There is a De-Esser plugin for Audacity that may or may not be of some help to you. I don't have any experience with it personally, so I don't know. I just know it exists. If you want to try it, you should be able to find a link in the LibriVox wiki.
ergopony

Post by ergopony »

Hi Devorah,

Yes, I am using a headset mic at the moment, I swear I had less trouble with mic position when I was holding up the little freebie earphone's mic that came with my phone. :roll:

I had a bout of coughing which I guess must have knocked the mic out of position somewhere in the middle of Chapter 8 and I failed to re-test and reposition it for plosives and esses afterwards. I'll wait on Helen's verdict on this one, but will definitely re-check after interruptions in future.

Thanks for taking the time to have a quick listen and reply.

Cheers,
Michelle.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I had a hunch. My first mic was a headset. I don't miss it at all. It was comfortable when you first put it on, but not after 20 minutes or so. And I had some bad plosives in some of my early recordings. I was upset when it died young, but I'm so happy with the one I have now!
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

PL OK for:

sect 7 The Truthful Auctioneer

sect 8 Hesitation

Note:
Michelle, I think you are being too hard on yourself. Your voice was clear and beautifully read. :clap:
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

I would like to claim section 16 if I may. Thanks in advance!
Joe

“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” - George R.R. Martin
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

JoeS wrote:I would like to claim section 16 if I may. Thanks in advance!
Sure thing, you're in! Thank you!
ergopony

Post by ergopony »

mightyfelix wrote:I had a hunch. My first mic was a headset. I don't miss it at all. It was comfortable when you first put it on, but not after 20 minutes or so. And I had some bad plosives in some of my early recordings. I was upset when it died young, but I'm so happy with the one I have now!
Mine moves around more than I was expecting, my hubby bought it for gaming which I thought meant it'd be a step up from the ones they sell for phone calls :? :: shrug :: No big deal, I'll keep using it as it sure beats holding up the shonky little freebie, especially during longer recordings.

Just because I like finding out about gadgets etc... can I ask what your current equipment setup is?
ergopony

Post by ergopony »

HZFerr wrote:PL OK for:

sect 7 The Truthful Auctioneer

sect 8 Hesitation

Note:
Michelle, I think you are being too hard on yourself. Your voice was clear and beautifully read. :clap:
Thanks Helen sometimes I can be a worrywart.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ergopony wrote: Just because I like finding out about gadgets etc... can I ask what your current equipment setup is?
Sure! It's nothing very fancy. I have a Samson Meteor mic. It connects through USB and has a short built-in tripod. I set it on a small box because the tripod isn't tall enough. Then that box and the mic go inside of a larger box which has little tiny pillows pinned all over the inside. I came across this page in the LibriVox wiki awhile ago, so this was my attempt to create that. It works rather well for cutting down on outside noise. I still need to apply noise cleaning to my recordings, but I get less traffic noise and other things from outside.
ergopony

Post by ergopony »

mightyfelix wrote: I came across this page in the LibriVox wiki awhile ago, so this was my attempt to create that. It works rather well for cutting down on outside noise.
Some of those set ups are amazing! :thumbs: Some great ideas... :hmm:
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

NishthaRocks wrote: https://librivox.org/uploads/darvinia/Chapter_14_The_Double_Life_of_Mr._Alfred_Burton_.mp3

This is the link to chapter 14 read by Pseudonymous Nerd

This is my first recording and there are a few errors. :(
If I need to do it again just give me a nudge. :wink:
I'm tidying up my projects on the server so I renamed this to the correct name of:
https://librivox.org/uploads/darvinia/doublelifeofmralfredburton_14_oppenheim_128kb.mp3

I will change the link in the MW so it can still be downloaded from there (or the link in this post) if you need to get it for your edits. When you reupload the corrected file use the same name again. The file on the server won't be overwritten, it will be renamed with a date suffix to differentiate it from the new upload.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart