[COMPLETE] Main Street by Sinclair Lewis - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Main Street by Sinclair Lewis (1885 - 1951).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/main-street-by-sinclair-lewis-2/
Carol Milford, a college-educated, progressive, ambitious young woman, is self-sufficient working as a librarian in St. Paul, when she meets a country doctor, Will Kennicott, who convinces her to marry him and move to the rural Minnesota town of Gopher Prairie. She arrives with dreams of beautifying the town, of establishing art and culture, of improving lives and promoting child welfare, but whose spirit is gradually and inexorably crushed by small-town attitudes, ignorance and bigotry. First published in 1920, Main Street is Sinclair Lewis' first major novel, and was a phenomenal success at the time. In 1930 Lewis would be the first American to receive the Nobel Prize for literature. (Mark Nelson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/543
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Main Street. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Main Street, by Sinclair Lewis. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Main Street by Sinclair Lewis. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Main Street, by Sinclair Lewis. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename mainstreet_##_lewis_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. mainstreet_01_lewis_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by sjmarky on October 18th, 2017, 1:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll MC this.

Do you have a DPL lined up? I assume not, since you didn't say anything about it.
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

I do not. I always wait for volunteers.

My website
My Librivox reader page
Margot

Post by Margot »

Hi,

I would be happy to be DPL for this project. I have a lot of time between now and the holidays if you think you will get the chapters recorded quickly. After January I'll be off line and won't be available.

Margot

ps I'm currently being added to the system by Carolin for another project.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Yoroshku Margot-san. I have to finish before I have shoulder surgery in mid-Dec, so that will be fine. I have one other project to finish before I start this one, so there won't be any chapters in for about two weeks. I usually submit a chapter about every day once I get started.

My website
My Librivox reader page
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've put you in, Margot. Thank you!

Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked below:
Instructions for BCs and DPLs

Moving this to Going Solo, since we've got all roles filled. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Fun fact: My very first recording for LV was chapter 2 of the group recording of Main Street which I uploaded on September 8, 2006.

My website
My Librivox reader page
Margot

Post by Margot »

Mark,

Thanks for letting me know your time line. That should work perfectly for us both.

Good luck with your shoulder before your surgery and also for a quick recovery in the New Year of 2018. I'll look up your first recording so I can meet your voice and read the book so I'm familiar with the story.

Margot
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

First three sections uploaded, and we're off...

My website
My Librivox reader page
Margot

Post by Margot »

Mark,

You are true to your word! I'm a bit busy today and tomorrow and will be back on schedule on Thrusday.

Just want you to know that I got the chapters and can't wait to get started. Somehow my real life keeps getting in the way of my preferred schedule! Thank goodness it is all good, just too many fun things to do!

Margot

ps my Japanese speaking uncle says that this is fine response,

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Daijobu. I won't be recording today (heat) or tomorrow (surgeon and PT), so I know.

My website
My Librivox reader page
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Possible cover art:
Playing with other images, but right now like this one.

My website
My Librivox reader page
Margot

Post by Margot »

Mark,

I notice that the beginning of the intro and at the end of the chapters you haven't read exactly what is what is typed in the forum box. Just FYI. You are consistent at each chapter. But just wanted to double check.

For example you are not saying at the end of each section, "this is a librivox recording."

ps. I like the illustration!

I was just double checking the little details before I got started with the real PL.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

For a solo recording you have the option of a shorter intro after the first chapter. It's in the instructions. Doesn't mean I didn't make a mistake, however.

My website
My Librivox reader page
Margot

Post by Margot »

Section 01

10:53 I hear; "and her legs up under her chin" instead of " and her knees up under her chin"

I only noticed because I was reading along. Not sure if will want to change it.

Rest of the recording was wonderful.