[COMPLETE] The Clue by Carolyn Wells

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Well, I didn't expect THAT person to be the murder victim!

Chapter 3 PL OK! :clap:
Holly

"I'll tell you right out, I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk." ~Kasper Gutman
Roger

Post by Roger »

Nothing like early surprises, right? :wink:

Chapter 4 has been posted, as the games begin.

Thanks! :D
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Chapter 4 PL OK! :clap:
Holly

"I'll tell you right out, I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk." ~Kasper Gutman
Roger

Post by Roger »

Chapter 5 has been posted, ready for a listen.

Thanks!! :D
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Chapter 5 PL OK! :clap:
Holly

Roger

Post by Roger »

And chapter 6 has been posted.

HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Very nice! :clap:

I caught just two tiny little things:

1. At 8:22 the text says, "That doesn't sound LIKE MUCH to work upon...." You said, "That doesn't sound MUCH LIKE to work upon...." (Not a big deal -- just thought I'd mention it.)

2. At 9:27 the text says, "...EXCLAIMED Kitty." You said, "EXPLAINED Kitty." (Again, no biggie. I only mention it in case you're striving for perfection! :D )
Holly

Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks Holly.

The second one ('exclaimed') I actually did say 'exclaimed', but it just didn't come out very clear. A bit of speech impediment.
At any rate, both pieces have been fixed (I hope), and chapter 6 has been re-uploaded.

Great catches! Thank you very much!! :D
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Chapter 6 PL OK! :clap:

I know how it is having words sound like something different after they've been recorded. I have a heavy-duty lisp, so every time I re-listen to anything I've recorded, LOTS of things sound like something else! :lol:

Also, this reminds me of the story "Shut Up, He Explained" by Ring Lardner. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Holly

Roger

Post by Roger »

I used to love reading Ring Lardner. I've read many, although not in quite a while now. I don't recall "Shut Up, He Explained". I'll have to look it up. :lol:

While I'm doing that, chapter 7 has been uploaded and posted, and you are most welcome to be critical. :wink: (I'm really losing my voice ....)

Thanks! :D
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Oh, actually I had a book entitled "Shut Up, He Explained" which contained stories from Ring Lardner, one of which was called "The Young Immigrunts," which is where that line came from.

http://www.archive.org/stream/youngimmigruntsw00larduoft/youngimmigruntsw00larduoft_djvu.txt

OK, off to listen now!
Holly

HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

OK, here is everything I found. A couple of them are really not important and don't change the meaning at all, but as you know I'm just mentioning them for your final decision as to whether you want to fix or leave as is.

Here we go!

At 4:18 the text says, "It is inconceivable that she COULD have removed such a trace...." You said "SHOULD." (This one is really minor and it doesn't matter if you change it or not.)

At 11:37 the text says, "...and yet, it was but natural for the man to deny it." You said, "NOT but natural." (Again, not important.)

Here's one that I might get in trouble for mentioning because I think LV policy is that proof-listeners say absolutely nothing about pronunciation, but I'll say it anyway because I would want to be told if I mispronounce something in my readings. :lol: At 12:25, the word "refutation" -- you pronounced it "refutiation," you know, kind of like "repudiation," so if you want to fix that one I'll leave it totally up to you. :D

At 14:17 the text says, "...yet now Dr. Leonard could not REPRESS a gleam of triumph in his eyes." You said "EXPRESS."

At 16:30 the text says, "...for he deemed her a MERE frivolous girl." You said "MORE."

At 16:46 the text says, "All were requested NOT to touch the weapon." You left out the word "not."

Here's another really unimportant one: At 17:42 the text said "finger MARKS" and you said "finger PRINTS."

That's it! I have to say, it's more fun to proof listen when I have something to do, so this was fun! :lol:
Holly

Roger

Post by Roger »

Whew - excellent job! :clap:

I had a feeling that I botched up quite a bit in this chapter. I will correct them all. I'll have it ready tomorrow (Sunday) and will re-upload and post accordingly.
And I am the same as you - I want to know of any pronunciation errors - always - and I know I make a lot of them.

So this is great, and I really appreciate your efforts!! :thumbs:
Roger

Post by Roger »

OK, chapter 7 has been re-uploaded with fixes applied.

Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

HollyJenson wrote:Here's one that I might get in trouble for mentioning because I think LV policy is that proof-listeners say absolutely nothing about pronunciation, but I'll say it anyway because I would want to be told if I mispronounce something in my readings.
I'd like to clarify LV policy on this. What is mentioned between a soloist and DPL is nobody's business but their own! :wink:

The general policy is in place to prevent non-native speakers (of any language) from getting criticised for their accents which makes their pronunciation a little bit different from a native speaker. I've found it also comes into play with US American versus British English pronunciations.

So it only applies to unsolicited criticism. If a reader asks for pronunciation clarification, even in a group project, the proof-listener is free to mention it.

You both have communicated exactly what you expect from each other so carry on! You've got it all in hand. :)
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart