[Group] Christ's Object Lessons, E. G. White - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mithrawnurro

Post by mithrawnurro »

I'll use my real name: David Sheppard
bookworm2575W

Post by bookworm2575W »

As far as we can tell the humming is my laptop fan and I have found no way to get rid of it from previous recordings. I do noise reduction and it did pass the checker. I can go back and look for those 'bangs' from hitting the stop key (although I thought I found them all) if I can get the recording back into Audacity from my desktop.
Thanks for the tips--I will try and see if I can make it better.
Karen
bookworm2575W

Post by bookworm2575W »

I am having trouble getting that first sound isolated and out of the recording. If you would like me to rerecord the chapter again I can do that or if you want to give it to someone else that is also fine. I have enjoyed recording but the background hum is my laptop and I have not been able to quiet the fan down. Let me know what you think.
Karen
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Oh no, don't rerecord it - we just need some help with the audio processing. I'll have a look at it this weekend.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Audio processing is not my forte...but I'll try to see what I can do with my limited ability, too.

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

bookworm2575W wrote: February 15th, 2018, 11:18 am I am having trouble getting that first sound isolated and out of the recording. If you would like me to rerecord the chapter again I can do that or if you want to give it to someone else that is also fine. I have enjoyed recording but the background hum is my laptop and I have not been able to quiet the fan down. Let me know what you think.
Karen
It is also usually not that difficult to re-record just a sentence or phrase and paste it in. That's what I sometimes have to do if there is a loud noise in my recording that I didn't notice while reading and I can't cut it out. :) Sometimes the sound may be slightly different, but you can usually minimize that by playing with amplifying or de-amplifying the volume for that section.

As to the fan, I don't use a laptop, but I've been told that when a laptop is running on battery power, the fan will turn off. It's only when it's plugged in that the fan will be running. I don't know if this is the case for every model, but maybe try it out for your next recording? :)
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Karen and Elizabeth:

I did just now re-upload section 22. Based on my PL-notes and Elizabeth's comments, the file should be PL-OK. Please note--I am not an expert at any of this, so I'm just going to tell you what I did--others have different ways of accomplishing the same thing--some of which are better than mine.

With respect to the hum--it is gone. I ran two passes with the noise reduction effect in Audacity at 8 db and one at 4 db and it is no longer there. (This technique should work with any file you have, Karen, that finishes with a persistent hum--although it might not need 3 passes to do it).

With respect to Devorah's comment about running the laptop of a battery, I do not know, but it's worth a trial.

I was not able to completely isolate the first "banging" noise, but I was able to get enough of it that the reading should be ok....Devorah is correct that the best way to correct this in the future is merely to re-record that particular sentence or phrase and cut and past it into your original recording. That is the only one I corrected, since Elizabeth ok'd the others.

I did add enough silence at the end so that the file now has around 5 seconds at the end.

I think you're good to go.

Many thanks,

Philip
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks Philip! Brilliant work!

So Karen, this file is now PL OK, and the take away message for your next recording is that if you can reduce the fan/computer noise that would be ideal, but sometimes a couple of passes of noise cleaning can do the job!
harpinthecloset

Post by harpinthecloset »

Jael
harpinthecloset

Jael
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks Jael! Great to have you back in action!
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Jael:

Section 16 is spot PL-OK! Section 31 read without a flaw. Very nicely done.

Many thanks,

Philip
bookworm2575W

Post by bookworm2575W »

Thank you for tips on the background hum--I will certainly try it. I have not tried noise reduction more than once so that could do the trick. I did try some fan noise fixes from the internet but none seemed to work with my laptop.
Karen
RussellEric

Post by RussellEric »

I would like to claim section 14 - Shall not God Avenge His Own?
harpinthecloset

Here's the long one!

13 https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/christsobjectlessons_13_white_128kb.mp3 23:11

I have to re-record the prologue and The Net because they recorded weird, but they're both short ones. I'll try to get them redone and uploaded today.
Jael