[COMPLETE] Ravensdene Court by J. S. Fletcher-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
clifford

Post by clifford »

The last two chapters -- 24 and 25 -- are up and all ends well except for the various bodies lying on deck at the end (almost like the end of Hamlet). But since among them there's only one Englishman (the others are either Chinese or French), I suppose that's all right.

Note: for some reason, my computer seems to show two identical files for chapter 24(I didn't think such a thing was possible, since the file names are the same). I uploaded what I think is the later of the two 24s, but if you think it sounds somehow odd or wrong, let me know and I will upload the other.

I see there's one more Fletcher novel on Gutenberg (also a murder mystery) that hasn't yet been read into LV. I might sign up for that, since I rather enjoyed Ravensdene. Airplane reading, or I suppose in Fletcher's day, train journey reading would be more accurate. The last really long train trip I ever made, after theNavy released me in San Francisco (1956) took me three nights to get home to Philadelphia, and I tried to read Dostoevsk's The Idiot -- but I should have had something a bit lighter.

Nick
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

24-25 PL OK. Finished!

Section 24 sounded fine. A few years back Clive Cussler's novels were very popular with the jet set. I'm always in the mood for JSF.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

me too ,
Are you going to expand the summary ?

Anne
clifford

Post by clifford »

Yes,I will expand the summary - but I'm glad you reminded me. I've had other things on my mind recently and simply forgot about that.

Nick
clifford

Post by clifford »

I've posted a new summary that doesn't give away too much. See what you think. One thing I don't seem to be able to edit out from lower on the page is Yorkshire as an indicator to the story. I think I put that up thinking at first the story was set in Yorkshire, but it should be Northumberland.

On the other hand, while googling around, I came across "Clifford's Tower" in Yorkshire, and wonder if I have a family connection:

"In 1322 the tower gained its present name when Roger de Clifford was executed by Edward II for treason. Clifford was hanged in chains from the walls of the tower, and ever after the building has been "Clifford's Tower".

Of course Edward II was a pretty unsavory character too.

Nick
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Maybe it's just as well out current leaders can't get rid of the opposition the same way
I've listened - and enjoyed it - I too was a little upset when the Chinese appeared - I thought we were going to have stolen green eyes of little yellow gods" with hordes of savage infidel foreigners trying to get back what the noble Europeans had stolen from their temples" - ......
I've just realised I forgot to post it was complete - so here goes

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/ravensdene-court-by-j-s-fletcher/

Thank you both - what next Nick ?

Anne
clifford

Post by clifford »

Anne and Craig,

Many thanks once again for seeing a project through. I'm most grateful.

As for what's next, I thought I might try Fletcher's "In the Mayor's Parlour," about which I know little except that it's a murder mystery.

For a moment I thought I'd discovered an unread Agatha Christie, and was unable to find either The Mysterious Affair at Styles or The Secret Adversary in the LV catalog. Though I looked them up both under title and author I could find nothing for either. But in fact I'm almost certain that both were done some time ago, and why they're not in the LV catalog, I have no idea. Perhaps the online catalog is in some trouble, or perhaps there's some secret about searching that I don't know.

So I will try to post The Mayor's Parlour when I get a chance.

Nick
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

re Agatha Christie. Her estate is very aggressive and the readings were taken down, We are in no position to engage in an expensive international copyright law case and until she is public domain in England it's likely things will not change for us and as she died in 1976 that's 2047 under present laws.

Anne
clifford

Post by clifford »

I've posted In the Mayor's Parlour, havng lost on A.Christie. I suppose that if I were in charge of her estate, I'd keep the copyright going as long as possible! Surprising that Conan Doyle's estate watchers didn't do the same thing -- he must have been worth even more than Christie
Nick