COMPLETE: Training of a Forester - Pinchot - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

The Training of a Forester by Gifford Pinchot (1865 - 1946).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-training-of-a-forester-by-gifford-pinchot/

Written by a forester, this book looks at the definition of "forest", what the life of a forester entails, discusses the forest service both on the state and national levels, and the training required to be a forester. As a forester himself, and the chief of the US Forest Service, Pinchot was a foremost expert in this topic, and, based on his preface to the work, seems to expect this work to either encourage or dissuade young people from a life in forestry. (KHand)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/31367
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Nature; *Non-fiction/Science/Earth Sciences

Keywords that describe the book: forestry, forester, forest service

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of The Training of a Forester. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Training of a Forester, by Gifford Pinchot. [Section Title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of The Training of a Forester by Gifford Pinchot. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Section title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Training of a Forester, by Gifford Pinchot. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename trainingofaforester_##_pinchot_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. trainingofaforester_01_pinchot_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by MrsHand on September 4th, 2017, 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Kristin,

I can MC this for you. MW will be available shortly.
Jo
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Thanks Jo! MW is all filled in!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

We'll hang out here a day or two to see if we get a DPL to sign on before moving to Going Solo. :)
Jo
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Hi, Kristin and Jo!

I would love to be the DPL for this! :D

This would be my very first go at PLing, so if you want to use me, be aware that I might have some questions along the way.
Holly

"I'll tell you right out, I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk." ~Kasper Gutman
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Welcome! This would be an excellent work to start PLing with, and I'm happy to have you!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Holly added as DPL and we are ready for the move to Going Solo. :D
Jo
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

:D :D :D

Can't wait to start!
Holly

"I'll tell you right out, I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk." ~Kasper Gutman
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

The Preface is ready for PL!
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Preface PL OK!

Very nice, Kristin. I see my job is going to be really easy! :D
Holly

MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Sections 1-9 are ready for PL!
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Hi, Kristin!

OK, so keep in mind that I'm being very nitpicky here, so if there's anything that you don't really care that much about, I'm fine with you not changing it. I only point things out in case you WANT to change them. So, here we go:

Section 1: At 2:19, the text said, "...this fierce struggle for existence is prodigious." You said, "SO prodigious." (Not a big deal at all. Only change it if you want to!)

Section 3: There were only about 3.5 to 4 seconds of silence at the end -- should be 5 seconds.

Section 6: At 1:52 the text said: "...where the national forests MAINLY lie" you said "MAY lie."

Section 9: At 3:23 the text said "...as to wrestle with the most difficult problems of mathematics." You said, "SO as to wrestle with the most difficult problems of mathematics."

Really the only one that's important is the 5 seconds of silence at the end of section 3. I only mention the other things in case you want to be a perfectionist! :D Let me know if you don't want to change them, and I'll mark them PL OK.

Great job! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Holly

MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

I'm a picky person, so I'm okay with you being picky. I just don't ever want to expect someone to do word-perfect PL - I may never get a listener! LOL

Thanks for the feedback! I'll get these adjusted in the not so distant future!
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Sections 1,3,6,9 are ready for spot PL!
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Everything was fixed flawlessly! Sections 1, 3, 6, and 9 are PL OK!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Holly