[COMPLETE]The birth of professional rugby in Australia - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Nothing sensational that applied to it's foundation , so I'm open to suggestions . Now if was Aussie rules I'd have my great uncle who was allegedly the first player paid money to transfer from Carlton interstate (note the alleged - it may not be true)

Anne
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Section 9 is PL OK.

Anne, I think that Phil would struggle to come to grips with a football code with no offside rule.....

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by annise »

I didn't think Rugby had an offside rule , isn't it just you have to pass backwards ?

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Another interestig project in the catalogue. Thank you both :clap: :thumbs: :clap: :thumbs:
This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/birth-professional-rugby-league-australia-by-sydney-morning-herald/

Annise
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, Anne & Denis! Great job! :clap: :clap:

Yes, you do have to pass backwards but you can kick forwards and a player is offside if he is in front of you when you kick to him. There are several other ways to be off-side but I'm sure I've already told you more than you want to know :). Far too many rules in rugby league, unlike aussie rules, where I have been told the only rule is 'no guns or knives'.
annise wrote:Another interestig project in the catalogue. Thank you both :clap: :thumbs: :clap: :thumbs:
This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/birth-professional-rugby-league-australia-by-sydney-morning-herald/

Annise
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Well rugby has its offside rule and Aussie Rules has the "holding the man - holding the man" provisions.

Regarding "no guns or knives" - after retiring from the VFL competition Collingwood ruckman Graeme Jenkin played in the Diamond Valley league. Like many very large footballers, Jenkin had a bad knee. To protect the joint from further injury, he used to play with a metal knee brace. Opponents had to be very careful when encountering him in ruck or marking contests.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by annise »

I found a photo of a 1910 Australian rugby league player - so that will need to do , (he is a Queenslander though)
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Nice cover! I'm sure nobody will know the difference!
annise wrote:I found a photo of a 1910 Australian rugby league player - so that will need to do , (he is a Queenslander though)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

According to the caption he's wearing a Queensland honours cap. :D