[COMPLETE] The Winter's Tale by William Shakespeare - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Tomas your Scene is PL ok and here is Act 3 assembled, so Tony has something to listen to while he is having breakfast tomorrow morning :mrgreen:

It sounds really great. Especially in this 3rd scene, Craig is almost talking alone for a great deal, being first the narrator and Antigonus and then the narrator and the Shepherd. Still the three voices are totally distinct. Well done.

I found it extremely cool that Craig is first leaving the child in the wilderness and then he again picks it up as Shepherd. Those two characters done by the same reader was a good choice for dramatic purposes in this scene.

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/winterstale_3_shakespeare_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 24:57 min.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I took your advice, Sonia, and experimented to see how much recording time I have. Well, it seems I have 113 hours. :lol: I do delete all old files, so maybe this is not the problem.

I will restart my computer later. I believe this has happened to me before and ended up going away, so I don't think this is major.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote:I took your advice, Sonia, and experimented to see how much recording time I have. Well, it seems I have 113 hours. :lol:
ok LOL that was definitely not the problem then :mrgreen: well it was worth a try. At least you learnt something new ;)

good luck !

will start editing my scene now...

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Kitty wrote:will start editing my scene now...
Good luck with that. :shock: I can't wait to hear such a huge scene, with so many characters, done by just 4 people. It should be quite the achievement!

I wonder if Act 4 will stay in the time limit? :? Let's hope....

UPDATE: Restarted my computer and the Audacity problem is gone---just like I thought it would. :mrgreen:
Tomas Peter
adonis

Post by adonis »

Don't think you need that Shepherd Aside, but it doesn't matter. "You shall help to put him in the ground." That was cute. Fine little Solo Craig had going there, Antigonus into Shepherd. All the better for it. Interesting point about a crazy Bohemia Tomas made. All these pastoral scenes (like in As You Like It) are based on Shakespeare's memory of Stratford, but these get crazier and crazier as time goes on. All these simple shepherd folk are acting something they're not - even the Shepherd is pretending he's Perdita's father. And some of them (like Perdita) don't know who they are. Probably Shakespeare felt the same way. All PLOK and above board by the way. End of Act Three.

Tony.
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thanks, Tony! Since Sonia is either still editing or in bed already, I removed the aside and re-uploaded.

If someone can spot PL (at ~23:23), that's one more act out of the way. :9:
Tomas Peter
adonis

Post by adonis »

WiltedScribe wrote: If someone can spot PL (at ~23:23), that's one more act out of the way. :9:
Done that. Yea that sounds more natural and better. So that's 3 PLOK and all swell.

Tony.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote:Since Sonia is either still editing or in bed already
Sonia should be in bed already, but I wanted to finish this monster !!!! :shock:

Are you sitting ? Scene 4.4. is....over 50 minutes long :help: you may be right that we need to cut this Act, but then the question is: where ?
I am totally dead now, I edited since 11:43 p.m. and now it's 2:54 a.m. Never thought it would take THAT long. I am amazed Todd does this on a regular basis.

Will upload now, since you are the only one up still, maybe you want to check if I didn't do tiredness errors especially near the end.

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/winterstale_4_4.mp3
Recording time: 51:46 min.

Will definitely go to bed now. Luckily we are turning the clock back (in fact now in 3 minutes, it will be 2 a.m. once again :mrgreen: )

good night

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

LOL I love that determination, Sonia. No resting until the big task is completed. Good work!! :9:

What is the time limit? 70 minutes? I know that going over 60 is OK. The other Act 4 scenes are quite short, so maybe when put together we'll be fine? Let's not worry about splitting anything until we see the final running time.

Lucky your clocks go back tonight. Here we have to wait another week. Though why I say "lucky," I don't know. We end up getting less sun because of it. :cry:

Goodnight! I'll see if I can check this tonight. If not, maybe Tony will take a look.
Tomas Peter
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I believe the time limit is 72 minutes. Based on the length of CDs since some folks make those out of our files. (Hence why we make CD labels.) One trick you can do if you are just over the 72 minutes is to use "Change Tempo" and make a 1%-3%-maybe even 5% reduction in length of the whole file - I once made a 75 minute act fit into 72 and you really could not tell. (I did not want to cut it into two files cuz I wanted to preserve the tension that the author was maintaining throughout the entire act.)

I edit in two segments. First I assemble all the files together, listening only to the first or last couple words of each line to make sure I have the order right. That takes me about 2x the length of the completed file. Then later, like on another night, I groom the final file, listening to everything this time and adjusting volumes and gaps, stacking multiple voices where necessary, etc. That also takes about 2x the final length - for a total of 4x to do the complete job. 3 hours to do the whole thing as Kitty just did on the 52 minute file, or essentially 3x, is quicker than I can do! But I could never do that much at one time or my fingers would fall off.

I am looking forward to hearing your completed play.

Thanks, Todd
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thanks for clarifying, Todd. I had a feeling it was around 70 minutes. Good to know we can increase the tempo if we need to. :thumbs:

5.3 is ready for PL. I only had enough time to edit this together. I can look at 4.4 tomorrow if Tony doesn't get to it before me.

Thanks to our hard work today, we're 95% done already. :9: Just two more scenes to edit, and then two acts to paste together, and we'll be done. This could even be cataloged tomorrow! :mrgreen:

EDIT: In case this is cataloged before I wake up, here's the cast list for the summary.
<b><a href="https://librivox.org/reader/11305">Craig Franklin</a></b>: Narrator; Polixenes; Antigonus; Old Shepherd; Dion; Dorcas; Gaoler; Second Lord; First Gentleman; Officer of a Court of Judicature; Second Lady & First Attendant.<br>
<b><a href="https://librivox.org/reader/10789">Tomas Peter</a></b>: Camillo; Florizel; Mamillius; Clown; Cleomenes; Emilia; Servant to Leontes; First Lord; Third Gentleman; Crier & Second Attendant.<br>
<b><a href="https://librivox.org/reader/10179">Sonia</a></b>: Hermione; Paulina; Perdita; Archidamus; Mopsa; Second Gentleman & Time.<br>
<b><a href="https://librivox.org/reader/10289">Tony Addison</a></b>: Leontes; Autolycus; Mariner; Servant to the Old Shepherd & First Lady.
Tomas Peter
adonis

Post by adonis »

4:4 is PLOK also easy on the ear if you like your ear candy crazy. We may do anything extempore, as Autolycous observes and it shows. That cacophony of voices in the party scene is well just like a party. (Never go to them myself.) And rather wonderfully Tomas talking to himself as Camillo and Florizel is the epitome of sanity by comparison. (Well, you have to find sane conversation somewhere.) And the closing bit of everyday sadistic humour with Autolycus, Shepherd and Clown is a fitting conclusion to the whole. Perdita was also good, which was just as well considering everything else - keeping everything on an even keel. Might fit into a seventy two minute Act I suppose (that's taking Fourplay to its longest possible conclusion). Must prepare for Sunday morning service now, evening dinner, laundry out of the machine etc. etc. etc.

Bye now.
T.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you all for your answers, guys. So I am faster than Todd, eh :wink: I think I am only more stubborn, as I wanted this thing done. It didn't so much hurt my hands, but my head felt the overdose of staring onto the computer. And I really shouldn't do it that long a second time. Next time I will probably split the task too.

Well, I will grab 4.3. now, first because I really want to know how long the act will be, and second because there are less roles and I feel I deserve to do less on my second task ;)

And thanks Tony for giving us the PL ok on this monster. I'm glad you liked it. And yes I totally agree, Tomas and Craig both talking to themselves at one point (Camillo/Florizel & Polixenes/Shepherd) was great, the voices so distinct, it was totally ok. But how come we gave them two roles which had so much speech together ? Usually we take care it doesn't happen to that extent. But maybe here there was no alternative.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Scene 4.3. ran over 8 and a half minutes, and we need not PL this part, as Tony can well check it in the final assembled Act 4.

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/winterstale_4_3.mp3
Recording time: 8:38 min.

So....the finished Act 4 runs a bit over 66 minutes, so we have 5 minutes to spare 8-)

Tony: over to you. I don't think you need to check the entire monster 4.4. yet again, as I really only did a copy/paste job there. Maybe only check the transition there, that all is at their right place and the Narrator starts correctly with Scene 4, etc... and the ending, so all has uploaded correctly. The inside of 4.4. should have nothing changed.

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/winterstale_4_shakespeare_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:06:03 hr (I think I never had to write hours at this spot :shock: )

Why on earth was this Act double the length of the other acts ? :hmm: That's so out of proportion and usually doesn't happen.

Now: breakfast ! If nobody volunteers for the final Scene till after I have done my DPL backlog, I will probably do it myself in the late afternoon. Let's get this done today !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote:5.3 is ready for PL. I only had enough time to edit this together. I can look at 4.4 tomorrow if Tony doesn't get to it before me.
5.3. is PL ok. I have only one concern and that is at the end, when Hermione speaks and right after Paulina, I fear my voice was not too different. I hope listeners won't be confused there. :? The rest are fine I mean only this one part.

I will DPL my backlog now, but maybe get to editing before you are up Tomas. We'll see how it goes. In any case, we may well finish it today or tomorrow.

Sonia