COMPLETE Baron Trump's marvellous underground journey -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eldendwar

Post by eldendwar »

mightyfelix wrote:Section 0, Biographical Notice, is PL ok.

Some notes for chapeters 1 and 2:

In the title of chapter 1 (about 0:54), the abbreviation "MS" means manuscript.
At 12:42, the text is "pricked-up ears and glistening eyes". You said "pricked up earn and glistening eyes".

There was a teensy little mess-up that got missed in chapter 2. It's right around 3:42, after "first week of that month." You'll know it when you hear it. :wink: Gave me a good laugh, though! :lol:

Also, in chapter 2, you ran into the same trap that got Sylvia! However, while she only read it once, it happened multiple times in your chapter! I'm referring to the name of the town, Ilitch on the Ilitch. It appears in all caps in the chapter title, which you read perfectly, ILITCH ON THE ILITCH, but when it appears in the chapter text, you read it as "Hitch on the Hitch". :roll: This happens at 5:24, 5:40, 8:14, 8:45, 12:44, and 13:40. If I had known this little name would cause so much trouble, I'd have just let Sylvia leave it be!

Last, I noticed (while checking for any more Hitches), that you skipped over the italicized word (golubtchika) on page 13, and just read its given translation, darling. I think we usually ask that readers at least take a stab at it when those kinds of things come up, rather than just leaving it out. Carolin, what do you think? Does he need to read it or leave it as is? It is at about 11:59.

Incidentally, Marcel, I was really rather impressed with all of the place names you did have to tackle in Chapter 2. They were well done!

OK. I will go through and make these corrections! I thought, as the translation showed there, that I could do either, but, I will do the pronunciation. Also, I tried looking that word up, as written "golubtchika" and I couldn't find any phrasing for it. Usually, I can find something, but pfffffft...not that time. I'll re-record both chapters.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

eldendwar wrote:I'll re-record both chapters.
Oh, I don't see that there's any need to re-record them entirely. Especially chapter 1, as there were only two trouble spots. You can just re-record the problem sentences and paste them in. If you haven't yet learned how to do that, I found this video by Phil Chenevert to be of immense help when I was starting out.
eldendwar

Post by eldendwar »

mightyfelix wrote:
eldendwar wrote:I'll re-record both chapters.
Oh, I don't see that there's any need to re-record them entirely. Especially chapter 1, as there were only two trouble spots. You can just re-record the problem sentences and paste them in. If you haven't yet learned how to do that, I found this video by Phil Chenevert to be of immense help when I was starting out.
Lol, yeah, I know how to do it. But, I think this is good practice for me. Here is Chapter 1.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/barontrump_01_lockwood_128kb.mp3
14:07
eldendwar

Post by eldendwar »

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Marcel. I need to clarify, though--did you re-record after all, or just fix those spots? If you re-recorded, I'll need to listen to the whole thing through, which is why I'm asking.
eldendwar

Post by eldendwar »

mightyfelix wrote:Thanks, Marcel. I need to clarify, though--did you re-record after all, or just fix those spots? If you re-recorded, I'll need to listen to the whole thing through, which is why I'm asking.
There were so many problems with it, that I just re-recorded both. I could have cut and pasted, but I think it would have sounded horrible. So I tried to give a more polished reading. Hopefully, it turned out well.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you both!

marcel, im sorry you invested so much time again in rerecording! as devorah said, that would not have been necessary! i hope you at least liked reading these two sections so that you didnt bore yourself through recording and editing them a second time :) thank you very much!
Carolin
sylviamb

Post by sylviamb »

Carolin,

On the 21st I replied to your approval of the German phrase that I needed help with (thank you, again).

But I can't believe that I didn't even remember to put the link with the corrected file of Chapter 32 in the post. Augh! It's just been sitting around. :(

Here it is (time 16:26)

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/barontrump_32_lockwood_128kb.mp3

Sylvia
eldendwar

Post by eldendwar »

Of course Carolin! I really enjoy reading, period. As I get more used to narrating, as anything else, I will get better.

I appreciate being able to do it, really!

Thanks!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

sylviamb wrote:Carolin,

On the 21st I replied to your approval of the German phrase that I needed help with (thank you, again).

But I can't believe that I didn't even remember to put the link with the corrected file of Chapter 32 in the post. Augh! It's just been sitting around. :(

Here it is (time 16:26)

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/barontrump_32_lockwood_128kb.mp3

Sylvia
32 now PL ok! :clap: Thanks, Sylvia!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

eldendwar wrote:Of course Carolin! I really enjoy reading, period. As I get more used to narrating, as anything else, I will get better.

I appreciate being able to do it, really!

Thanks!
After having listened to both of these, I'll say that I do think they were improved in some respects compared with your first ones! :thumbs:

I still have one note on each of them.

At about :51 seconds in chapter 1, in the chapter title, the abbreviation "MS" should be read as "manuscript". It does not, in this context, stand for "Miz", as in "Ms. Smith" or "Ms. Adams".

In chapter 2, great job on "golubtchika", but this time you left out "darling". I believe we want both the Russian and English here, just as it's written. This is at about 11:45.

I will refer both of these to Carolin, though, to decide whether they need to be changed. Also, I'm often surprised, when I re-record a phrase or sentence and then paste it in, how well the sound does end up matching. The key, I find, is to record an entire sentence or phrase and find some natural break in which to make the cut and paste. If you try to paste in one single word, it usually does sound weird. Give it a try. You may be surprised!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you all :thumbs: :thumbs:
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you devorah.

Marcel, it would be awesome if you could paste in a manuscript and a darling. Im prepared to accept your recording as it is though if you have trouble editing in a piece later on. But this too gets easier with practice :) thank you :thumbs:
Carolin
eldendwar

Post by eldendwar »

Ok. I'll re-record both of these sentences that contain the errors, and resubmit.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

:thumbs:
Carolin