COMPLETE The Arte or Crafte of Rhethoryke, by Leonard Cox-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

plaidsicle wrote: March 20th, 2019, 4:57 pm you're amazing, Jordan. I knew I was getting tired halfway through this, and I could hear all the deep & mushy confusion in every pause when I went back through to edit. I'll get the edits for section 10 (a much shorter section) and the fixes for this one done hopefully within the month!

I'm wondering if it'd be worth splitting up the two 40+ minutes sections... but I'm not sure how I'd split them. any advice from MC or PL is welcome...
I'd leave them as is. They're logically split up at the moment, and sections can be as long as 72 minutes, so it's not like they're ludicrously long.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

thanks. less work for us all to leave them as they are I guess.

here's 10: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_10_cox_128kb.mp3
5:38
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

and now the fixes for section 9:

1:19: 'legitime' in 'The second legitime' is pronounced 'LEDGE-i-tim' (OED actually has this very book as an example of this word) DONE
5:19: I believe 'mete' in 'Next is shewed the place where as Clodius mete Milo' is 'met', not 'meet', as the sentence is in the past tense. DONE
6:44: 'seiunction' in 'This diuision is deuyded into seiunction and distribucion. Seiunction is whan we shewe wherin our aduersaries and we agre' is 'sejuction', pronounced 'si-JUNGK-shun' (This book is the earliest known usage!) DONE
7:01: 'seiunction' again in 'myght on this maner haue vsed seiunction' DONE
11:23: 'Almaynes' (or Almains) in 'To Flemmynges and Almaynes' is pronounced 'AL-mains' (it means German) DONE
11:58: I believe (OED has no pronuncation listed) 'entwyte' in 'On this wyse dothe Phillis entwyte Demophon' is pronounced 'en-TWIT' DONE
12:52: 'sayeth vnto his man called Sofia' should be 'sayeth vnto his man called Sosia' DONE
13:17: 'fyers' in 'My softe handes are nat apte to fyers batayles' is 'fierce', not 'fires' DONE
13:42: 'had certayne Musiciens and maydens' should be 'had in his company certayne Musiciens and maydens' DONE
17:00: 'Sosia' again in 'And Sosia demaunded why he wolde do so' DONE
17:55: 'Agayne that Milo oppressyd many of his serious purposes' 'Agayne that Milo oppressyd many of his furiouse purposes' DONE
25:07: 'Nexte after that it behoueth hym to haue refuge on the merytes of his elders' should be 'Nexte after that it behoueth hym to haue refuge to the merytes of his elders' DONE
26:59: 'And finally then by comon places to moue the iudges to mercy & pytie vpon hym.' should be 'And finally then by comon places to moue the iudge to mercy & pytie vpon hym.' DONE
27:22: 'Remocion' or 'Remotion' in 'Remocion of the faute is whan we put it from vs and lay it to another.' is pronounced 'ri-MOH-shun' (it happened again...) DONE
27:29: 'ambassade' in 'The Venecians haue commaunded certayne to go in ambassade to Englande' is pronounced AM-buh-sayd (like 'amber shade', but with an 's' rather than a 'sh') (déjà vu...) DONE
28:11: 'Clitenestra' or Clytemnestra in 'whan he cam home was slayne of Egistus by the treason of Clitenestra his owne wyfe' is pronounced 'klye-tum-NES-truh' (Oh, and if you want to go for modern pronounciations, 'Egistus', or Aegisthus is pronounced 'ee-JIS-thus') DONE
28:51: 'legitime' again in 'Of state legitime' DONE
29:25: 'lese' in 'shulde lese theyr ryght' is 'lease', not 'leave' DONE
29:46-29:52: Repetition of 'And as they were in the mayne see'. DONE
30:59: 'Chirurgiens' in 'by helpe of Chirurgiens' is not an old spelling of 'surgeons', but 'chirurgeons', pronounced 'kye-RUR-junz' (though it does just mean surgeon...) DONE (is this one etymologically related to surgeons then, I wonder?)
31:36: 'Than to retell the expoficion' should be 'Than to refell the expoficion'. 'refel' means 'To refute or disprove', but no pronuncation is given. It comes from the Latin 'refellere', so 'reh-FELL'? DONE
32:12: 'conster' in 'and to conster theyr exposicion with oures' is apparently 'construe', though it seems this is pronounced 'CON-ster' in this case (From the OED: "At an early date the stress was put on the first syllable, and the final reduced to -stre, -ster: conster continued to be the pronunciation down to the 19th cent., even after it had disappeared as a written form.") DONE
32:47: Stutter between 'shall' and 'wise' in 'shall in no wyse' DONE (hopefully...)
33:08: 'lesynge' in 'and whan al other for feare of lesynge themfelfe' is 'leasing' DONE
35:44: 'entendeth to prouve the maker therof either an unfit man' should be 'entendeth to prouve the maker therof either an vniust [unjust] man' DONE

thank you! hopefully I didn't mess anything else up in re-recording some of these passages.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

plaidsicle wrote: March 27th, 2019, 5:42 pm thanks. less work for us all to leave them as they are I guess.

here's 10: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_10_cox_128kb.mp3
5:38
Only two things:

1:52: "Quicquid præcipies efto brevis" should be "Quicquid præcipies esto brevis"
4:23-5:38: I...um...think you forget to edit out this section...

It's also a little too loud. You're at 92.1 dB, when you should be aiming for 89.
plaidsicle wrote: March 28th, 2019, 5:28 pm and now the fixes for section 9:

[corrections]

thank you! hopefully I didn't mess anything else up in re-recording some of these passages.
PL OK!
Jordan

plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

oh man, I guess I was in a great hurry to get the last section uploaded!

thanks again, Jordan.

all should be fixed now...

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_10_cox_128kb.mp3
4:25
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

plaidsicle wrote: March 31st, 2019, 7:07 am oh man, I guess I was in a great hurry to get the last section uploaded!

thanks again, Jordan.

all should be fixed now...

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/rhethoryke_10_cox_128kb.mp3
4:25
PL OK! Shame it had to be removed...

Anyway, we are finally done! This is easily the hardest proof-listening I've ever done. But I don't regret doing it. Amelia, congratulations for seeing this through; as fun as this was to PL, I would not want to read this.

MaryAnn, over to you!
Jordan

plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

it was definitely harder than I thought it would be, but we made it through to the end!
thank you so much for your above-and-beyond PL work!

now to choose a next solo... maybe something with modern spelling and no Latin whatsoever..
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-arte-or-crafte-of-rhethoryke-by-leonard-cox/
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

thanks MaryAnn! I was hoping this would make it in for the March cleanup, so that's awesome.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Yes, I was watching for your edits so that I could get it in right away.

Congratulations! This was quite a challenge.

MaryAnn