COMPLETE [Solo] An Interpretation of Keats's Endymion-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

An Interpretation of Keats's Endymion by Henry Clement Notcutt (1865 - 1935).

Endymion is the largest work by John Keats and was composed between April and November 1817. When it was published in April 1818 the critical reception was almost universally hostile. Since that time, many readers have found the poem dense and inaccessible, and have preferred to focus on the occasional gems of poetic commentary for which it has become famous.

Feeling that the poem was both undervalued and misunderstood, in 1919 Professor Clement Notcutt published a lengthy essay, which could be considered a “user’s guide” to Endymion. He sums up his intent in the introduction:
A careful study of Endymion made some ten years ago led to the conclusion that there was more of allegorical significance in the poem than had hitherto been recognised, but the effort to trace that significance was only partially successful. Further study since that time has gradually opened up the way to the interpretation that is worked out in the following pages. It is probable that there are details in the story the meaning of which still lies hidden, but it may at least be hoped that enough has been discovered to win for the poem its rightful place among the not very numerous examples in English poetry of well-wrought allegory.

In 1921 Notcutt published a further essay entitled The Story of Glaucus in Keat’s Endymion, which has been included in this recording.
(Algy Pug)
This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/an-interpretation-of-keatss-endymion-by-henry-clement-notcutt/
  • Text source (only read from these texts!): (1) http://www.archive.org/details/interpretationof00notcuoft (2) http://archive.org/details/storyofglaucusin00notc
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): wordperfect

DPL will be NewgateNovelist

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of An Interpretation of Keats's Endymion. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by Algy Pug."
    • Say:
      "An Interpretation of Keats's Endymion, by Henry Clement Notcutt. Introduction."

For the second and all subsequent sections, use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of An Interpretation of Keats's Endymion by Henry Clement Notcutt. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • Say:
      "[Section title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of An Interpretation of Keats's Endymion, by Henry Clement Notcutt. "
  • Say:
    "Recording by Algy Pug."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename interpretationofkeatssendymion_#_notcutt_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. interpretationofkeatssendymion_1_notcutt_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Henry Clement Notcutt
    Title: # - [Section title]
    Album: An Interpretation of Keats's Endymion

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: alg1001
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Algy Pug on July 27th, 2017, 1:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Algy Pug »

Newgatenovelist has kindly agreed to act as DPL.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Checking in, bookmarking and subscribing.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Algy,
I'll set this up for you. Since you have a DPL, I will move this to Going Solo.
Cheers!
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Algy Pug

My Librivox page

The introduction is PL OK.
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

I have noticed that the text for the first five sections was not scanned correctly - some words on the margins of pages have been cut off.

There is an alternate version on the Internet Archive, which displays all the text, but is very faint in places:
http://www.archive.org/details/interpretationof00notcuoft

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Algy,
I updated the project for that source text. Let me know if it isn't right.
Cheers!
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Thanks Amy.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Algy Pug »

Algy Pug

My Librivox page

This is interesting, but he's really trying to fudge the lack of evidence for a couple of his points!

A couple of tweaks:

13.14-13.16. Top of page 15, first line of quotation:
Who, for [heard for the] very sport of heart...

35.56-35.58. Page 25, last line of second block quotation:
For [heard with] nothing but a dream?

Erin
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Section 1 is PL OK!
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Algy Pug

My Librivox page

PL notes for section 2:

14.04-14.09. Indented quotation at bottom of p. 34. Extra word added:
...so [that] I may do the deed
That my own soul has to itself decreed.

32.09-32.13. Longer indented quotation on p. 42:
And then the water, into [heard in] stubborn streams
Collecting...

41.41-41.46. Indented quotation at top of p. 47:
For other, good or bad, hatred and [heard or] tears
Have become indolent...

43.09-43.19. Mid-paragraph of last paragraph, p. 47:
It is evident that the journey [heard study] of Endymion suggests a much more extensive study of classical literature than Keats ever had the opportunity of carrying out.