COMPLETE[PLAY] Dandy Dick by Arthur Wing Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thank you Sonia. I will tend to both of these issues, and upload a new file, but probably not until tomorrow.

Yes, I very much appreciate the comments you have made, and I should have been more careful and diligent in my efforts.
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
Roger

Post by Roger »

It's not tomorrow yet, but I had some time to work on this, so I've re-uploaded Hatcham, Act 2.

I inserted some additional silence after 0:36, and worked myself into a frenzy so I would be exhausted when I re-recorded 1:37.
And I'm still open for more advice if this still isn't quite satisfactory.

Thanks again! :D
(Time should be adjusted to 2:05)
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote:I inserted some additional silence after 0:36, and worked myself into a frenzy so I would be exhausted when I re-recorded 1:37.
:shock: this is method-acting of Robert de Niro-esque proportions !!! Where you jogging around the house a couple of times ? :mrgreen:
And I'm still open for more advice if this still isn't quite satisfactory.
this is more than satisfactory :clap: I think I never had a reader who followed my stage direction as accurately as you just did with that sentence. Seriously now I know how the likes of Steven Spielberg must feel when they sit in the director's chair. 8-) (maybe I should consider a change of workplace :hmm: )

Totally PL ok now. Thanks so much.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

simply de-light-ful Craig :lol: exactly like I pictured poor "ailing" Major Tarver. I actually laughed out loud when you despondently uttered: "my forgetfulness has brought me—one of my—terrible attacks—of depression", and then, only a second later, quite chipper "Thanks, the attack has passed" :mrgreen: I start to suspect this ailment of Tarver's is only a conventient get-away from unwanted situations ;)

No errors in the entire Act, nothing missing, all perfect :thumbs: thanks so much for joining the play :9:

Only one thing for the voice credit: could you maybe say the full characteristics for Tarver in your second act:

"Major Tarver, blank-th Hussars, quartered at Durnstone, near St. Marvell’s" read by...

Thanks, but this is PL ok now. No need to change it here, in one act is enough.

Sonia
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Kitty wrote:
Only one thing for the voice credit: could you maybe say the full characteristics for Tarver in your second act:

"Major Tarver, blank-th Hussars, quartered at Durnstone, near St. Marvell’s" read by...

Sonia
I'm happy to say anything you ask me to, you know that! :D
Just a bit confused...what on earth does 'blank-th Hussars' mean.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dandydick_tarver_2.mp3 3:22 for you.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Craigos wrote:I'm happy to say anything you ask me to, you know that! :D
be careful what you promise... :mrgreen:
Just a bit confused...what on earth does 'blank-th Hussars' mean.
:lol: the text stated "--th Hussars", probably to leave the real company anonymous. Todd mentioned in the MW that this should be read as "blank-th".

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok Act 2 also excellently played out. I loved the thinly disguised manic voice while he muses about garotting his fellow army brother. 8-)

And of course the lovely singing was perfect. Is that a song you actually know or is the tune invented on the spot ? I think we did this poem for one of our WBP series a while back. :hmm: yes...we did I just checked, but it was Jason who read the narration and you were not involved in that particular poem. It was in Love Part II. Sometimes my memory astonishes me :wink:

Two small things here to note down:

> at 2:02: "Ha, ha, ha! spoilt his pianissimo!" . I only hear "pianismo" but I think this is optional, whether you want to re-record it or not. The Major may well maim this word inadvertedly :mrgreen:

> at about 2:09: please insert missing "All" line: "Where is it ?"

Sonia
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dandydick_tarver_2.mp3 3:23
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dandydick_tarver_3.mp3 1:27

My memory amazes me as well at times. I suspect for very different reasons.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Craigos wrote:https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dandydick_tarver_2.mp3 3:23
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dandydick_tarver_3.mp3 1:27

My memory amazes me as well at times. I suspect for very different reasons.
:lol:

thanks for the updated voice credit. Sounds accurate no, although a bit strange, I agree.

Major Tarver was quite despondent at the beginning of Act 3 and suddenly after his proposal got accepted he seems to have recovered well. :roll: A bit of a hypochondriac I suspect. Well done, all of it ! I can mark both Act PL ok now

thanks a lot !

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Here's Hannah Topping:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dandydick_hannahtopping_3.mp3

I thought it would be a nice and small role, one act.... and then she's the only one talking in that act... :roll: Hopefully I gave her enough of a "slight accent".
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote:Here's Hannah Topping:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dandydick_hannahtopping_3.mp3
I thought it would be a nice and small role, one act.... and then she's the only one talking in that act... :roll: Hopefully I gave her enough of a "slight accent".
I loved the accent !!!!! :clap: and you're right, Hannah does have the pride of place in the first half of this Act :shock: So we're lucky she was in good hands with you. I especially loved your whining and crying part when you first talk to the Dean. I can really picture her, wiping her eyes with her apron, and maybe even cleaning her nose with it. :lol:

I only have three small notes:

> at 8:30-8:43: “Master, is what you’ve told me your only chance of getting off unknown?” – you have two versions here, is there one you prefer or will you let Todd choose ?

> at about 13:50: you forgot to say one “Hush” more. Sir Tristram, Georgiana and Hannah say two “Hushs” in tandem

> at 15:04-15:15: “Noahry, Noah, come back!” – again two versions, can you cut out one ?

the rest absolutely top :thumbs: (although in some places you could have left out a biiiit more space for the stage directions in between your speech. But I think Todd will manage)

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Here's the Sir Tristram intro with "baronet", if it's needed: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dandydick_sirtristrammardon_intro.mp3

I'll have to get to work on that Doctor Jayne character now. Cold, precise, softly-spoken. Peter Cushing is the ideal here, I suppose.

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox