COMPLETE[PLAY] Dandy Dick by Arthur Wing Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote:You either have to be married to a Baron, which is a higher rank of nobility than a Baronet, or be a awarded a Life Peerage in your own right. Baronet is the lowest rank of British nobility.
right, baronet and baron is something different...it seems to me I did not make such a good catch after all. Well, I'll take the option of working toward this Life Peerage award then. I guess I have more chances with that than waiting for Sir Chris to become baron himself. He's much too boisterous for that. :lol:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

The Australian system is simpler:

"People choosing to settle on unoccupied land outside the jurisdiction of the Nineteen Counties were classed as 'squatters'. The term (first appearing in 1828) soon came to refer to a person of high social prestige who grazed livestock on a large scale - often having no legal title to the land beyond being the first European to settle on it. Successful squatters were among the wealthiest class of people in the colony and came to be described (in a play on the English aristocracy) as the 'squattocracy'. "

"The House of Peers made no pretence...": https://www.wwnorton.com/college/english/nael/noa/pdf/27636_Vict_U21_Gilbert.pdf
Last edited by SonOfTheExiles on August 20th, 2017, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:"People choosing to settle on unoccupied land outside the jurisdiction of the Nineteen Counties were classed as 'squatters'.
oh we have squatters here too, I think they are a different class of people though LOL Well, I guess I will have to stick with baronet then...anyway, I first thought this "Bart" might mean bartender :mrgreen:

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

If Baron is that senior a rank, maybe Tidd should be the Baron. I'm happy to just mix the drinks, if I can manage to pass the Bar exam.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I just finished assembling Act 1 from the parts submitted so far and WOW. What a riot. Poor Dean. He does not have a chance. The two conniving little girls - so perfectly matched no one will believe you two did not record this together, the butler with his disdain just oozing, the old school chum from back when the Dean was perhaps a little more footloose and fancy free than he wants anyone in St Marvell to discover. And then that sister. An irresistible force of nature. Even the supposedly unbiased stage directions seem to be pounding the poor Dean without mercy...

Wonderful.

Thanks you all so much for your great readings (and those to come in to complete act 1 and the next 2 acts as well!). I keep reading Sonia's PL praise and now I know why she has been so pleased.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:Even the supposedly unbiased stage directions seem to be pounding the poor Dean without mercy...
aren't you feeling a bit too much pity for yourself ?
ToddHW wrote:I keep reading Sonia's PL praise and now I know why she has been so pleased.
I hope you never doubted my good taste 8-)

I'm so impatient to listen to it all...

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

It is said that an artist must suffer for his art. And all the evidence would suggest that the Dean's fellow troupe members are committed to helping him achieve his maximum artistic potential.

I can only hope that you are feeling the love, Todd.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

And now I have suffered through making a draft of Act 2....

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote:
SonOfTheExiles wrote:Act 2 corrected and reuploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dandydick_sirtristrammardon_2.mp3
thanks ! PL ok now
oh that was fast !! Great you finished during one weekend :9:

the scene in the police-quarters is great, it shows not only the poor Dean gets the hard treatment by Mardon

I have a few notes still:

> at about 10:35: [Georgiana AND Sir Tristram.] "Indifferent!" - missing line

> at 11:38 & 11:49: Strychnine - will you let Todd choose the pronunciation ? Well I know that I said "-neen", I think Todd and Tomas as well, but I'm not 100% sure anymore... :hmm: we can let Todd decide

> at about 12:59: [They both laugh.] I gave a laugh there, maybe you could give us one as well, so Todd can leave out those stage directions

thanks ! Perfect job. Now you will be hoarse (or mute) for the rest of the week. Rest your vocal organ till the next role !
Having been threatened by George Tidd with fully-loaded wet-weather gear, can I just say, who knew that the "para-" in "paratrooper" stood for "parapluie"?
:lol: it makes sense, seeing how closely parachutes resemble umbrellas :wink: Anyway, don't underestimate the damage a well-placed umbrella sharp end can produce :mrgreen:

Sonia
I only care about the missing line. People will be laughing too hard to care about the other things....

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Ah, alas. It is probably not a spoiler to say that Act 3 ends for the Dean with with "My family influence gone forever—my dignity crushed out of all recognition—the genial summer of the Deanery frosted by the winter of Deceit."

Act 3 assembled. I'll finish off the three acts when our missing parts show up. I can't wait! You all sound so great together!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:Ah, alas. It is probably not a spoiler to say that Act 3 ends for the Dean with with "My family influence gone forever—my dignity crushed out of all recognition—the genial summer of the Deanery frosted by the winter of Deceit."
you are taking all this too much to heart, brother. Imagine, your daughters soon out of the house having their own families, your sister has found a baronet to torture ;) and for Christmas, New Year, Easter and the summer holidays, ALL the family (including Dandy) will reunite at the deanery and reminisce about the good old times. Admit it, you will miss us. :mrgreen:

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

From Trinity to Trifecta in three Acts.

Perhaps the Dean and Hannah and Noah Topping will have a rapprochement. Don't the French have a name for that?

Sorry for the holdup, been a lot of noise around here. Will endeavour to get it done within the next twelve hours (sunrise here now). I suppose I can just put those few bits in a small separate MP3 file?

Cheers,
Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:Perhaps the Dean and Hannah and Noah Topping will have a rapprochement. Don't the French have a name for that?
:shock: surely you don't suggest ménage à trois ! Not the DEAN !!!

Sonia
Last edited by Kitty on August 26th, 2017, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I suppose I can just put those few bits in a small separate MP3 file?
I have not cut your file into Act 3 yet, so if you could put the additions in place in the file it would make things easier for me.

Menage? French? The Dean would only recognize Latin and Greek. Certainly nothing French.

Thanks, Todd
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

You wicked, wicked woman! I was referring to "règlement extrajudiciaire des différends". :mrgreen:

Chris