COMPLETE[PLAY] Dandy Dick by Arthur Wing Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

Regards,
Jason (back) in Canada

20 Years in Canada, 20 years in Panama, now returned to Canada for the next stage of my life
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:Here's the Sir Tristram intro with "baronet", if it's needed: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dandydick_sirtristrammardon_intro.mp3
baronet's intro sounds perfectly aristocratic. You could have fooled me :mrgreen:

thanks Chris. I'll insert it in the MW with a note for Todd, so it won't be forgotten
I'll have to get to work on that Doctor Jayne character now. Cold, precise, softly-spoken. Peter Cushing is the ideal here, I suppose.
Sherlock Holmes ? :hmm: probably not the worst role model. Or were you thinking more about his horror movies ?

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

excellent, our final character is showing up :9:

thanks Jason, you made Darbey suitably patronizing with the Dean, so he can believably dislike his manner LOL somehow I see Darbey and Tarver as a sort of Laurel and Hardy double act :lol: .

It's all acted out very well, and I will mark Act 2 PL ok immediately.

In Act 1 I would have a suggestion of improvement for one scene (if I may):

> at 1:18: The Dean ! - could you give us this one with a bit more startled fear in your voice ? Picture the scene: those two army beaux are trysting with the Dean's girls, when all of a sudden, Papa approaches, and they quickly need to re-arrange their positions. :help: I don't think he would say it this way then ;)

another suggestion, to make life easier for Todd:

> at 1:03: you didn't leave much editing space here for the stage directions

thanks, and looking forward to the final part

Sonia
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

You always may suggest, and please do!

Here is the file now with the more surprised remark, due to adding a little more space at 1:03, the exclamation is now at 1:19.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dandydick_darbey_1.mp3

Jason
Regards,
Jason (back) in Canada

20 Years in Canada, 20 years in Panama, now returned to Canada for the next stage of my life
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jasonb wrote:Here is the file now with the more surprised remark, due to adding a little more space at 1:03, the exclamation is now at 1:19.
YES ! That's the kind of exclamation which suits the situation :thumbs: Well done Jason. Now it's really PL ok

thanks

Sonia
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

Regards,
Jason (back) in Canada

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yay, thank you Jason !!! Darbey is really loosening up a bit at the end. Compared to poor ailing Tarver LOL

Excellently and flawlessly done. PL ok.

Now only waiting for a minor correction from Ava, and then this play can get finalized. This will be a great addition to our catalogue :9:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Great!

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I have assembled Acts 1 and 2 with the new lines. Still need to groom them - for example, stacking parts together in a buncha places, adjusting gaps and volumes - before they will be ready for PL.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote:
Availle wrote:Here's Hannah Topping:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dandydick_hannahtopping_3.mp3
I thought it would be a nice and small role, one act.... and then she's the only one talking in that act... :roll: Hopefully I gave her enough of a "slight accent".
I loved the accent !!!!! :clap: and you're right, Hannah does have the pride of place in the first half of this Act :shock: So we're lucky she was in good hands with you. I especially loved your whining and crying part when you first talk to the Dean. I can really picture her, wiping her eyes with her apron, and maybe even cleaning her nose with it. :lol:

I only have three small notes:

> at 8:30-8:43: “Master, is what you’ve told me your only chance of getting off unknown?” – you have two versions here, is there one you prefer or will you let Todd choose ?

> at about 13:50: you forgot to say one “Hush” more. Sir Tristram, Georgiana and Hannah say two “Hushs” in tandem

> at 15:04-15:15: “Noahry, Noah, come back!” – again two versions, can you cut out one ?

the rest absolutely top :thumbs: (although in some places you could have left out a biiiit more space for the stage directions in between your speech. But I think Todd will manage)

Sonia
I listened; I can make these fixes in editing, so rather than wait I will mark this OK and be able to finish. Gotta go rest my hands first...

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

All three acts are now fully assembled. Almost 3 hours in the final files. Just needs a final edit pass to smooth them out and then ready for PL. Over the next couple of days though - going to look for an ice pack for my wrists now.

This is going to be an hilarious play. You have all played your roles to the hilts! Great performances!

Thanks, Todd

(By the way, it will be a week or two before I start the next farce. Feel free to amuse yourselves in some of the other not-full-yet plays or dramatic readings here, or even jump genres over to the book forum!!)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:All three acts are now fully assembled. Almost 3 hours in the final files. Just needs a final edit pass to smooth them out and then ready for PL. Over the next couple of days though - going to look for an ice pack for my wrists now.
oh now here I was thinking I would have a job before going to bed

well, I'll be patient
(By the way, it will be a week or two before I start the next farce. Feel free to amuse yourselves in some of the other not-full-yet plays or dramatic readings here, or even jump genres over to the book forum!!)
I jumped genre today and claimed two fairy tales :)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I would not give you three hours of play to PL at your midnight!

Patience.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 1 is ready for final PL. I really love the interplay between the two sisters. When you consider that you never actually see the horse Dandy Dick during the play, the play could equally well have been called "The Conniving Sisters" or something similar. Unless things change perhaps in Acts 2 and 3....

Thanks, Todd
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

George Tidd made Dandy Dick seem so real, he almost needs a voice credit.

"Dandy Dick, played by Hoof-Hearted."
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox