[COMPLETE]The desirable alien at home in Germany/V Hunt-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Section 26 PL OK - it's a wrap!

Maybe it's reflective of the literature of the time, but I felt a little surprised by the finish. Given Violet's obvious skills at observation and insight, and my impression that she's not short of an opinion or two, I was expecting her to pull the threads together a little more than actually happened. Perhaps she was planning a second volume in the Low Countries. Still, it's been a really entertaining and instructive book to listen to - thank you for allowing me to share it with you and reading it so beautifully.

Cheers,
Paul
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Up to me then now . Are you happy with your summary ?

Anne
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

SkyRider wrote: August 5th, 2018, 12:42 pm Section 26 PL OK - it's a wrap!

Maybe it's reflective of the literature of the time, but I felt a little surprised by the finish. Given Violet's obvious skills at observation and insight, and my impression that she's not short of an opinion or two, I was expecting her to pull the threads together a little more than actually happened. Perhaps she was planning a second volume in the Low Countries. Still, it's been a really entertaining and instructive book to listen to - thank you for allowing me to share it with you and reading it so beautifully.

Cheers,
Paul
Thank you Paul. You have been a very encouraging listener.

I was shocked at just how obvious the gathering storm was to Violet. Perhaps the ambiguous ending was her attempt to sustain her fading hopes of a respectable future as the second Mrs J.L.F.M.H. He had been attempting, via a twelve months residence in the country, to get back his German citizenship so as to take advantage of its divorce laws.

Best,

Barbara
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

annise wrote: August 5th, 2018, 2:43 pm Up to me then now . Are you happy with your summary ?

Anne
Yes, thanks Anne. I am concerned that Ford Madox Ford won't get an entry as a joint author but I don't know how to go about that! Can I rely on your knowledge of the catalogue?

Thanks again to both PL and MC!

Barbara
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

He should , it handles joint authors, we'll see . I'll start but have appointments today so probably won't finish too quickly

Anne
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

annise wrote: August 5th, 2018, 3:18 pm He should , it handles joint authors, we'll see . I'll start but have appointments today so probably won't finish too quickly

Anne
Great, thanks Anne.

Barbara
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've been thinking about this, he's definitely shows as joint author but will not show beside his sections , it would be too clunky to make it a complitation. I'll experiment a bit with something we can change easily , and I'll finish the cataloguing

Anne
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

annise wrote: August 7th, 2018, 5:30 am I've been thinking about this, he's definitely shows as joint author but will not show beside his sections , it would be too clunky to make it a complitation. I'll experiment a bit with something we can change easily , and I'll finish the cataloguing

Anne
Thanks Anne.

Sleep tight!

Barbara
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/desirable-alien-by-violet-hunt/

I can't work out which chapters he actualy wrote ?
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

annise wrote: August 7th, 2018, 6:05 am This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/desirable-alien-by-violet-hunt/

I can't work out which chapters he actualy wrote ?

I suspect that doesn't matter, Anne, but they were:

Chapter 4, Utopia
Chapter 16, How it feels to be members of subject races.

I see you've cleaned up my summary! Old Violet was quite a girl and I wanted to give a hint of that!

But thanks for all the trouble. Now I'll go back to bed.

Best,

Barbara