[COMPLETE] Uncle Wiggily's Fortune by Howard Garis - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

julieanazer wrote:Hi,

I was interested in recording #3 if its not yet claimed!
Hi and welcome to Librivox!
There are a few things to do before you get started.
You will need to complete a one minute test - this is to check your specs are up to Librivox standards, and if not, you'll be given hints on how to remedy that. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test
Please post your test in the Listeners Wanted forum (see the dropdown at the bottom of the page) for the speediest response. Waiting for the OK may seem tedious, but can save time in the long run. Please be sure to complete this within 7 days.
You will also need to be added to the catalog of readers. I will add you using your forum name, but if you prefer your real name or a pseudonym let me know. We can also link to a personal blog or website. If you click on your name in the Magic Window, you will see your own personal catalog page.
Be sure to read the first post - all the info you need is there, but if anything doesn't make sense, just ask. The wiki (see the top of the page) has bundles of info too.
Lynne
DanAllsup1215

Post by DanAllsup1215 »

Hello- I'll take #8!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

DanAllsup1215 wrote:Hello- I'll take #8!
Hi and welcome to Librivox!
There are a few things to do before you get started.
I see you have completed a one minute test. If you look in that thread, you'll see there are a couple of technical issues that need to be addressed before you record.
You will also need to be added to the catalog of readers. I will add you using your forum name, but if you prefer your real name or a pseudonym let me know. We can also link to a personal blog or website. If you click on your name in the Magic Window, you will see your own personal catalog page.
Be sure to read the first post - all the info you need is there, but if anything doesn't make sense, just ask. The wiki (see the top of the page) has bundles of info too.
Lynne
DanAllsup1215

Post by DanAllsup1215 »

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Thank you. Congratulations on your first submission :clap:
Be sure to check back for any PL (proof listening) notes about any edits that are suggested. In the meantime, you are welcome to claim more sections in this or any other project.
loon

Post by loon »

Dan, here is your proof listening report.

Sad to say, your recording needs some fixes.

1)
The average volume is too low (as reported by the Checker program, it was 83.9 dB - it should be in the range 86-92, with 89 ideal)
You can't simply run the Audacity "Amplify" effect - that would make the audio peaks clip. You could, however, use the Audacity "Compressor" effect. I tried it on your recording with the default settings (including 'make up gain...' checked) and the result was a 88.9 dB.

2)
A recording for LibriVox should have 5-10 seconds of silence after the last word. (The spec says 5 to 10 but just about everyone does 5.) Your recording had about 1.5 seconds; too short.

3)
The recording has a lot of popping P and T sounds - plosives - enough, I think, that you should do the recording again - sorry. There are two really effective ways to fight plosives: one way is to move the microphone away from directly in front of your mouth - if it is 45 degrees off to the side it will be out of the blast of breath that plosives generate. The other possibility is to build or buy a pop filter - the Wikdpedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_filter has a nice description and photo. The cheapest home made version is a couple layers of nylon stocking material stretched over a loop of coat hanger wire, a purchased versions start around $25. You could try either or both together.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
loon

Post by loon »

P.S.
Good stuff:

1)
Your reading. You are having fun doing the read. Your voice changes as appropriate with the emotional content of the story. You've got some dynamic range in your reading. In short, all the sorts of things I don't do all that well.

2)
Your recording environment. I'm not hearing a lot of random room noises, recorded-in-a-closet echo, air conditioning rumble, dogs barking, etc.

3)
Your recording equipment. You are capturing the full frequency range of your voice - it doesn't sound like a cheap telephone. Minimal hum. This mic is good enough.
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

I'll take stories 4 and 9, if they are open!
:D
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Ealswythe wrote:I'll take stories 4 and 9, if they are open!
Thank you for claiming
laurencetrask

Post by laurencetrask »

May I have 10, 11,12, and 13?

Thank You...

Laurence Trask
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

laurencetrask wrote:May I have 10, 11,12, and 13?

Thank You...

Laurence Trask
You certainly may!
kgrreader

Post by kgrreader »

May I claim 14 and 15?

Kathi
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

kgrreader wrote:May I claim 14 and 15?

Kathi
All yours
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
loon

Post by loon »

Ealswythe wrote:Chapter 9 ready for PL https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/unclewiggilysfortune_09_garis_128kb.mp3

Duration: 11:25
"Uncle Wiggly and the Starfish" is perfect except the words "by Howard R. Garis" are left out of the introduction. Lynnet, can we let leaving the author out slip by on this chapter?