My Recordings
Darn stuff! I have books to read!
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you!
ehilsabe

Post by ehilsabe »

Hi Evan,
Welcome to LV and congratulations on getting through your 1 minute test.

Please let me know how you would like to be credited in the catalog.

Did you mean to claim parts 2 and 3 of an address?
Thanks, Linny - Uffdah - I didn't catch the three part split there. Maybe more than I want to bite off immediately.

Can I alternately claim sections 8-9, which are parts 1-2 of Martin Van Buren 1840?

I can be credited as Evan Hilsabeck.

Thanks,
Evan
soupy

Post by soupy »

Section 10 is PLOK :thumbs:

government was made for the people and not the people for government

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Evan,
I think that's a good decision. These readings can be a bit challenging.

It looked as if you may have ended up with 2 log ins and catalog pages. Please let me know if this is correct. https://librivox.org/search?q=hilsabeck&search_form=advanced
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
linny

Post by linny »

Absolutely! Thank you.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for section 11 realspeakers :thumbs:

PLOK :D

I found this part interesting. As well as others.
I feel it my duty to bring under your consideration a practice which has grown up in the administration of the Government, and which, I am deeply convinced, ought to be corrected. I allude to the exercise of the power which usage rather than reason has vested in the Presidents of removing incumbents from office in order to substitute others more in favor with the dominant party. My own conduct in this respect has been governed by a conscientious purpose to exercise the removing power only in cases of unfaithfulness or inability, or in those in which its exercise appeared necessary in order to discountenance and suppress that spirit of active partisanship on the part of holders of office which not only withdraws them from the steady and impartial discharge of their official duties, but exerts an undue and injurious influence over elections and degrades the character of the Government itself, inasmuch as it exhibits the Chief Magistrate as being a party through his agents in the secret plots or open workings of political parties.

In respect to the exercise of this power nothing should be left to discretion which may safely be regulated by law, and it is of high importance to restrain as far as possible the stimulus of personal interests in public elections. Considering the great increase which has been made in public offices in the last quarter of a century and the probability of further increase, we incur the hazard of witnessing violent political contests, directed too often to the single object of retaining office by those who are in or obtaining it by those who are out. Under the influence of these convictions I shall cordially concur in any constitutional measure for regulating and, by regulating, restraining the power of removal.
Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
linny

Post by linny »

Great quote. Thank you Craig.
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

I think everything he said in this address was not only still relevant but just engaging and downright interesting--down to the mention of the Smithsonian funding...which doesn't actually take off for a while yet. His tone, as well, was clearly at odds.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
linny

Post by linny »

It's a bit sad it's still so relevant. Why, oh why, can't we learn and retain what we learn? <sigh>

I'm looking forward to listening!
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Linny -

Here is Section 16 for PL -

https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/stateoftheunion1837_1844_16_various_128kb.mp3 - 36:55

Have a good night!
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you, Lynda!
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Linny -

Here is my other assigned Section -

Section 17 - https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/stateoftheunion1837_1844_17_various_128kb.mp3 - 36:47

Have a good day!
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for 16-17 Lynda :thumbs:

I'll get to then soon :D

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge