[COMPLETE] State of the Union Addresses 1837-1844 - kd

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Barry,
I'm on my flight home. I have class tomorrow and then Sunday I'll get caught up here. I'll post in Listeners Wanted but due to the special pl requirements I'll PL until another volunteer claims us.
soupy

Post by soupy »

I'll be DPL for this section too :D

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for reading section 14 – interesting foreign relations for the US Lynda and nicely read :thumbs:

A few errors noted.
December 6, 1843 not December 7, 1843 - The Magic Window has a few errors in it

5:10 42 and 54 40' of north latitude. You read feet – it should be minutes (54 degrees, 40 minutes)

12:30 The Germanic – you read Germanatic

15:22 some repetition It must but be regarded – read repeated for regarded

17:20 subjugation of Texas - you read subruration

18:14 and immorality to pass unreproved – you read immortality

18:19 A border warfare is evermore to be deprecated – you read depreciated

22:06 express to the Government of Mexico how deeply it deprecated a continuance of the war and how anxiously it desired to witness - you read depreciated for deprecated

29:32 In regard to the Indian tribes residing within our jurisdictional limits, the greatest vigilance of the Government - you read viligence for vigilance

Only 5 seconds of silence needed at the end

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Thanks for the feedback Craig! :clap:

I saw that date difference and figured I had a 50% chance of being correct... :)

Here is the recording back to you for checking -

30:22 - https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/stateoftheunion1837_1844_14_various_128kb.mp3

Have a good day!
ehilsabe

Post by ehilsabe »

Hi Linny,

Can I claim sections 6-7 for Martin van Buren 1839?

Thanks!

-Evan
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Evan,
Welcome to LV and congratulations on getting through your 1 minute test.

Please let me know how you would like to be credited in the catalog.

Did you mean to claim parts 2 and 3 of an address?
linny

Post by linny »

soupy wrote:I'll be DPL for this section too :D

Craig
Thank you, Craig! That is very generous of you.

:help:
Barry, please do the honors.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for the feedback Craig! :clap:

I saw that date difference and figured I had a 50% chance of being correct... :)

Here is the recording back to you for checking
Nice Corrections Lynda :D

Section 14 is PLOK :thumbs:

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for section 15 Lynda :thumbs:
More interesting presidential statements from 1843 :D

some errors noted

Should be December 6 1843 not December 7

1:34 made, of $3,914,082.77 - you read of $3,914,802.77 (I don't know how important this change is)

2:44 will be a probable deficiency for the service of the fiscal – you read profitable for probable

7:05 we are passing the capitalist makes his investments in the Government cut stocks with the most assured - you read capitalist makes his investments

9:39 and finds ample remuneration in the comforts which its policy insures and the happiness which it imparts. - read renumeration for remuneration

9:50 Should a revision of the tariff with a view to revenue become necessary in the estimation of Congress, I doubt not you will approach the subject with a just and enlightened regard to the interests of the whole Union. You read estimentation – for estimation

10:31 These can only be attained by adopting as the basis of action moderation in all things, you read monernization for moderation

14:55 The same reasons which would forbid Congress from parting with the power over the coinage would seem to operate with nearly equal force hi regard to any substitution for the precious metals in the form of a circulating medium. Typo – should be in regard instead of hi regard

19:01 The Government has originated with the States and the people, for their own benefit and advantage, and it would be subversive of the foundation principles of the political edifice which they have reared to persevere in a measure which in their mature judgments they had either repudiated or condemned. You read repudication for repudiated

19: 12 the true difference between a monarchical or aristocratical government and a republic being that – mispronounced monarchical or aristocratical

20:50 very desirable to remount the corps of dragoons –pronounced core of dragoons

24:21 There is ground for high commendation of the officers and men for the coolness and intrepidity and perfect submission to discipline - intrepidility for intrepidity

26:20 transmission of mail matter out of the regular mail as to require the greatest vigilance and circumspection read viligence for vigilance

27:35 feel confident in the assertion that nothing has occurred to interrupt the harmonious action of the Government itself, -read assertation for assertion

28:17 but for emigrants from all parts of the civilized world, who come among us to partake of the blessings of our free institutions and to aid by their labor to swell the current of our wealth and power. You read who came along for who come among us to

29:49 you will feel a superadded obligation to look well into their condition and to leave no cause for complaint or regret - you read compliment for complaint

30:23 When, under a dispensation of Divine Providence, I succeeded to the presidential office, the state of public affairs was embarrassing and critical. Some repetition

33:59 In this condition of things I have felt it to be my duty to bring to your favorable consideration matters of great interest in their present and ultimate results you read it may be my duty for it to be my duty

Only 5 seconds silenced at end needed

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
linny

Post by linny »

soupy wrote:The Magic Window has a few errors in it
MW updated. Thank you, Craig! At least I had it correct in the section breakdown. :oops:
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
linny

Post by linny »

realisticspeakers wrote:...and thus was made Florida...

Section 10 [27:10]

https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/stateoftheunion1837_1844_10_various_128kb.mp3
Excellent! Thank you.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Thanks again Craig for the review of my recording -

Here is the cleaned up version of Section 15 -

34:37 - https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/stateoftheunion1837_1844_15_various_128kb.mp3

Have a good day!
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you, Lynda!
soupy

Post by soupy »

Section 15 is PLOK :thumbs:

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge